Question Has anyone put something bigger than a 200 hp on a Pantera? Results?

The title to the post pretty much says it all. Have any of you ran a 200 + Horsepower motor on a Basscat Pantera? I have a 92 PII. Just wondering. A buddy is offering me a great deal on a Mercury Pro XS 250. I know it chine walks at around 65 but seems to be stable after that. Just wondering.

2. Member
    I don’t think I would go there. That’s way over CG and manufacturer specs. I have heard of a few people flashing a 200 SHO but strapping a 250 on that hull is not a good idea. Just my .02

3. Member
    I doubt you’re going to get many if any people to think it’d be a good idea. Including your insurance company

We do not recommend this application, Waylon. Safety first.

that 1992 was NEVER designed for 250 HP let alone the extra weight of a newer outboard..... I have seen newer pantera 2s with modified motors on them but I wouldn't do it on a 1992.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

6. Member
    Gotta ya! Man I love this old cat. It has outlasted 2 motors and is still going strong! basscat.jpg

7. Member
    I think you should do it. Remember, Safety Comes Second, or maybe Third! Please report the results!!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieBass View Post
    I think you should do it. Remember, Safety Comes Second, or maybe Third! Please report the results!!!

Safety third.....

Just send it

"Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

10. Member
    Why limit yourself to just a 250 when they make bigger motors like this ?

11. Member
    Waylon
    As exciting as that would be, with the older model BCB's having some wood in the transom, you may be asking a bit to much due to the torque of the 250.
    The PII in the video above is the way to go if your going to increase power. BCB of course does not recommend it.
    Also not everyone can drive as smooth as John at 83 mph. He makes it look very easy. As PII owners we know it takes a lot of experience.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

12. Member
    Even if the boat could handle the additional HP your insurance company would not cover you in an accident since you willfully exceeded the manufacturer's HP recommendations. Don't think it can't happen to you, and if you injured or killed someone you'll lose everything you have.