BBC SPONSOR

Hds 12 Gen 3, Hds 12 Gen 2, and 3d Sonar connection question

Picked up Hds 12 Gen 3, Hds 12 Gen 2, and 3d structure box. Should I connect the two units directly to each other via an ethernet cable and then from the 3d structure box simply run ethernet cables to each graph? I would think just an ethernet cable from the box to each unit would be enough.

I removed a structure hd box lss2 system with 2 hds 8s and i simply ran ethernet from the box to the graphs and it worked fine. I was not certain of the 3d structure box communicated the same way.

2. Member
    The 3D module will act as an Ethernet hub. Just connect both units to it. Remember your Gen 2 will force the Gen 3 into Legacy mode.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Would I be best suited not even to hook the Gen 2 ( bow mount) up to the 3d structure box? Just run an ethernet to the gen 3 so they share waypoints etc??

4. Member
    I would not use ethernet to/ from the Gen 2 Touch at all. There is no way of doing this without forcing the Gen 3 into legacy-mode. But if you want the G2T in the network, keep both the SS 3D and Gen 3 on older software to avoid issues. You need the SW before Genesis Live was introduced, I don`t remember the version-number though.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    The biggest reason I wanted to link them was for waypoint sharing

6. Member
    If you follow TC's recommendation you should be ok. It's just not a good idea to mix units from before Gen 3 in the same network.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

7. BBC SPONSOR
    THanks for all the help guys!

8. Member
    So if I understand correctly we should not connect the ethernet from old units to new units, use only NEMA 2000, and make sure new units have the pre genesis software version?

My goals is waypoint sharing, seeing SS/DS from transom (LSS 2), and map sharing, and point one use. Of course I would like to share everything, but plan on bow Carbon unit to have dedicated transducer, and lake master map installed. Navionics would be on console units

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lykins Tr21 View Post
    So if I understand correctly we should not connect the ethernet from old units to new units, use only NEMA 2000, and make sure new units have the pre genesis software version?

My goals is waypoint sharing, seeing SS/DS from transom (LSS 2), and map sharing, and point one use. Of course I would like to share everything, but plan on bow Carbon unit to have dedicated transducer, and lake master map installed. Navionics would be on console units

Depends on what you are calling old units and new units. Carbon and Gen 3 units will play nicely together.