Johnson 150 FastStrike: Increase throttle, engine sometimes dies or responds

This is a new one. I have a 1996 Johnson 150 FastStrike (on a 1996 Cajun). Launched boat and proceeded to my first fishing hole with no troubles.

Was fishing for an hour or so. Decided to try a new location (fish's fault, not my technique lol). Primed the bulb and fired her up. Put the boat in gear. When I attempted to increase the throttle a bit the engine died. I started her up again and this time let her sit for a few minutes. Sounded like she was warmed up and had a steady stream (although same could be said of the initial start before she died).

Again put her in gear with no trouble but trying to increase throttle caused her to die again-this time I saw an initial increase in speed/rpm corresponding to the throttle but still couldn't 'hold it'. After a few (maybe 3-4) tries I was able to accelerate. No troubles once at any speed. This rigamorole occurred a few times throughout the day.

Any ideas? I've already contributed it to my inability to catch any fish

Thanks in advance!

2. Member

Re: Johnson 150 FastStrike: Increase throttle, engine sometime ... (rcautox)

I have no ideas, but mine does that every once in a while too, I don't like it, and it gets you a little on edge if the conditions are not "nice", but it always gets out of its funk after a few tries or minutes...

3. Member

Re: Johnson 150 FastStrike: Increase throttle, engine sometime ... (bensford66)

That is probably heat soak, aka vapor lock.

I usually start mine and let it run for a few seconds, then put it in gear, and let it idle, and then get on it.

Re: Johnson 150 FastStrike: Increase throttle, engine sometime ... (Lockjaw)

Hmm yeah 'tis a bit 'scary' when you're on the other side of a substantial lake!

I had been starting the engine and letting it simply idle for a few minutes. I'll try putting it in gear then back to idle before attempting to take off. Thanks.

5. Member

6. Member

This is my first post here but I've been looking at the board for a few months. I have a 93 Rude Intruder and had been having this problem and was getting really frustrated. This post fixed my problem. I did the adjustment this morning and took it out this afternoon and it ran GREAT! Thanks to everyone that contributes and makes this board what it is.

01 Triton TR20 / 01 Merc 225

7. Member

Re: Johnson 150 FastStrike: Increase throttle, engine sometime ... (Floyd)

I got the same problem..Heat soak..My motor bogs the same way and choke fixes it. I will have to try the adjustment. Also Has anyone experience an overall drop in RPM or speed after getting on plane? Could it be my pack that is doing it too? How can heat soak decrease my engine's performance speed at WOT? Thanks to all on the board.
    94 Fast Strike 150

I think we should petition against E10 for outboards. I work at the Capitol and I will deliver it peresonally. I hate the fuel for boats. Why can't we just have a tax on outboard fuel that is straight gas. This tax could help rivers or lakes on environmental causes. Just a thought. The gas could be died so it can be used in outboards...I don't know. I need help guys. I really want to petition this law. There is no non-E10 around me.

Re: Johnson 150 FastStrike: Increase throttle, engine sometime ... (Kris481VS)

I can tell you that I was at my wits end with that "heat soak/ vapor lock" problem with my Faststrike. Changed out alot of parts but to no avail.

Until....I made that simple adjustment to my throttle/ timing linkage. Problem GONE!!!!! Many thanks to Elgin!!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastman151 View Post
    I can tell you that I was at my wits end with that "heat soak/ vapor lock" problem with my Faststrike. Changed out alot of parts but to no avail.

Until....I made that simple adjustment to my throttle/ timing linkage. Problem GONE!!!!! Many thanks to Elgin!!!

What was the adjustment you made? I currently have the exact same problem.
    Ranger 482VS

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfun View Post
    What was the adjustment you made? I currently have the exact same problem.
    Got to give you credit for searching for this 11 year old post. Here is the adustment: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=11790