Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    So you pay taxes every year on the value of the boat!?!?that is highway robbery - We pay a 7% one time tax in NJ based on what you say you paid for the rig when u register the boat for the first time -after that you never pay it again-otherwise we pay like $30 a year registration on boat and maybe $20 on the trailer - and I thought NJ was bad -holy cow!!:(

way tooo high

call your county tax office

I have a 2009 Champion 210 Elite with Yammy H 250
    Boat Tax $318.60 Motor $ 187.00 for Dorchester County SC

2009 ELITE 210

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    The law currently says you can license a boat in the state you use it most not necessarily your home state. I fish in Tennessee much much more than Kentucky hence I license my rig I. Tennessee as do a lot of people around here. It saves me about $500 per year in tax.

Kentucky hates that and I have sat in on meetings in Frankfort trying to change the law. Fortunately the states can’t change that law. It is Federally Regulated.
    I'm confused, your screen name says KY, but you location is TN.
    Your boat according to regulation is to be registered in the state of principal use
    If your boat is in the state of Ky for 60 consecutive days its suppose to
    be registered in Ky. Regulation doesn't say in use, just in the state.
    We have Ky residents who go to Fla for the winter and Reg their boat
    while there, then want to come back home and boat all summer
    in Ky on a Fla registration. That wont work. Your drivers licenses
    establishes residency and you have a Ky fishing Lic, but have Tn
    registered boat, thats going to run up a red flag to that officer.
    I have to agree, personal property tax in Ky is obscenely high.
    LDS
    Last edited by Great Scott; 02-26-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

4. Member
    $2,000 per year would make me sick to my stomach. It appears value of trailer is not taxed in SC.

Maybe Phoenix can help you value trailer at $20,000, to help lower value of motor and boat.

$2,000.00?? Do they send Vaseline in the mail with the bill?

6. Member
    No annual boat tax in Alabama just a $28 registration renewal. No tag required for boat trailer either.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    $2,000 per year would make me sick to my stomach. It appears value of trailer is not taxed in SC.

Maybe Phoenix can help you value trailer at $20,000, to help lower value of motor and boat.
    trailer is not taxed nor do you register it in SC

2009 ELITE 210

8. Member
    So for those that live in NC, what would be the tax be on the boat listed in the first post.
    tax: boat /motor/trailer.
    Registration boat and trailer, tag needed on the trailer?

I have a 2017 Skeeter 20 fx with 250 sho.

I ask this because we might end up moving to the Jacksonville area. Been chatting/phone conversation with Nailbender8 who has been a great help with questions that we have. BBC has some great folks.

Quote Originally Posted by 20ibassin View Post
    So for those that live in NC, what would be the tax be on the boat listed in the first post.

I ask this because we might end up moving to the Jacksonville area. Been chatting/phone conversation with Nailbender8 who has been a great help with questions that we have. BBC has some great folks.
    we have property tax in nc too. I think each county is different. Not as high as what the op said.

Move. That is asinine.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

11. Member
    WOW! I would say that's high? What percent is the property tax based on? Especially if its yearly?

Here in La. we pay the 8 percent on the original purchase and after just registration which is less then a 100.00.
    If you buy a used boat (from an individual), even if its a 2020 model, you only pay tax on the value of the trailer.
    Used is the way to go in Louisiana. Save thousands.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric521 View Post
    I have a 2018 Phoenix 721 with a Merc 250. I live in SC and just got my tax ticket in and about passed out. For the year the boat is $1400 and the motor is $600. So $2000 just to have my boat. Is this on the normal side or high side, I think high? Thoughts?
    Indiana must be your twin state. Taxes, fees, permits, etc is them only reason I am not riding a new Basscat from Sherms and one reason we don't see more Basscats locally . We have basically, a 5-6 month season here .

13. Member
    Sounds right for SC...other states are considerably less...Ask around and you'll find that boat owners in SC get raped....

Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    I personally think that's just dumb. I'm glad we dont do that in Ohio. It's like they want to punish you for doing decent in life. To me. No thanks.
    Amen to that I personally never heard of being taxed like that on boats in some states.

15. Banned
    From my quick reading. Va residents pay a 4.15% state sales tax on the purchase of motor vehicles and water craft. Then pay a yearly 5% personal property tax on the deprecated value of the vehicle. And to add insult to injury, a 2.5 % sales tax on food. Damn! How'd you people let this happen???

I can't believe you guys in personal property tax states haven't had a tax payers revolt yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 20ibassin View Post

Can’t provide a quote for that specific boat but I can tell you that I just received my tax notice for mine and it’s under $150 a year.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    Note to self, never move to SC.
    A lot of Southern states have personal property tax. That was a bit of surprise when we moved from MN to AR. We have lots of toys, so pay about the same in personal property taxes as property taxes. However, property taxes were much higher in MN, so in reality, it's a wash. And in MN, we had to cough up big money every year to renew our plates. It decreased over time, but could run well over $500 a year for a new truck/car. It's only like $30 a year here.

Most states get their money out of your somehow.

I do agree $2000 per year just for a bass boat is extremely out of line, though. We pay less than that for a diesel pusher RV, 4 motorcycles, boat/motor, several trailers, 3 vehicles, etc.
    John

18. dartag1829
    Did some reading and It looks like in SC you pay a lot less in property taxes.

What is your total tax bill.

In Michigan I have a house on a lake State Equalized value is 250k. Property taxes are 3600.00 a year. Boat registration is about 36.00 a year. My 2018 truck is 300.00 per year.

Total tax 4k per year.

19. Member
    Outrageous to say the least, challenge it!!

20. Member
    None here in TN, just renewed for three years for about 120.00.

We do pay sales taxes when buying. Does SC still have the 300.00 sales tax cap? That was the rule when I lived there back in the 80s. I’ve often read that people in KY find a way to register their boats in TN to get away from their taxes. It was about 500.00 a year when we lived there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast