St. Joseph River

I've always wanted to fish the St.Joseph River in the spring for Steelhead but never knew what part of the River was best or what to use. Does anyone have any tips or experiences they can share?
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

2. Member
    Check with ClearH2O Tackle in Edwardsburg Michigan. They are on facebook and intagram. Try on Michigan page, I think most steelhead fishing is in Michigan part of river.

There's a ton of good steelhead fishing in South Bend and Mishawaka. Most anglers target just below the dam by Capital Ave. You can wade on the south side of the river or fish from the bank closer to the dam. I fish primarily by Kamns Island in Mishawaka where there is a large gravel bar. Below the dam in Berrien Springs Michigan is another hot spot for steelhead, coho's and kings.

4. Member
    Thanks, When (in the Spring) is the best time to go up there or does it vary?
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

5. Member
    They are there now. Used to watch the fish while working the show in South Bend. Kept trying to get Billy Westmorland to go and catch some with me. He kept trying to get me to go to Fl right after the show and fish with him.

Quote Originally Posted by BackLash625 View Post
    Thanks, When (in the Spring) is the best time to go up there or does it vary?
    The best time is from now till May but if the river is high from rains its hard to fish.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    They are there now. Used to watch the fish while working the show in South Bend. Kept trying to get Billy Westmorland to go and catch some with me. He kept trying to get me to go to Fl right after the show and fish with him.
    I remember Billy, he was good at yankin' them Smallmouth out of Dale Hollow..
    - Dr. Carl Sagan