Garmin Force 2.40 software update

Change log associated with 2.40

1. Added the ability to set the navigation arrival mode as anchor lock or manual. Defaulted to anchor lock.

2. Added a blinking red battery light when the battery is critically low.

3. Reduced foot pedal activity light brightness.

4. Improved foot pedal steering algorithms for easier boat control.

5. Increased remote and foot pedal range during initial pairing.

6. Added a warning message for when the propeller is blocked, and improved the recovery mechanism.

Update Instructions:

NOTE: The trolling motor must be connected directly to the ActiveCaptain mobile app to update. The update CANNOT be passed through the chartplotter network.

NOTE: The update for the trolling motor contains updates for all trolling motor components. Once the update is pushed to the trolling motor, it will push the update to all connected peripherals.

1. Connect ActiveCaptain to trolling motor (use the remote to set Wi-Fi to “ActiveCaptain” and create a name and password (Menu > Settings > Trolling Motor > Wi-Fi))

2. Connect ActiveCaptain to the web and download the update

3. Connect ActiveCaptain back to the trolling motor as in Step 1. The update should push automatically to the trolling motor. This could take up to 30min.

4. Once the update is finished pushing from the phone, reboot the trolling motor. Approximately 30 seconds after reboot the speed lights should start alternatively blinking. This means the trolling motor is updating.

5. Once the trolling motor has completed updating, ensure the remote is on and connected. When it detects the remote needs to be updated, the trolling motor will start blinking its speed lights again, and the remote will show a 30 second countdown. At the end of the countdown the remote will reboot and show a gear icon, indicating it is updating. The update on the remote will take ~5min.

6. Similarly ensure the foot pedal is powered on and connected. If the version is out of date, the update will start automatically and the foot pedal status light will turn purple. Upon a successful update, the status light will go off.
    Garmin Pro Team

2. Member
    Thanks Todd
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

3. Member
    I just ordered a new Force yesterday, will I need to do the update?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungle George View Post
    I just ordered a new Force yesterday, will I need to do the update?
    Yes sir you will
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

5. Member
    So I have done all the steps above with the update on the app I reconnect to the motor and then it tells me there is no new software update motor is still 2.30 and 2.40 update is still ready to be installed on the app any ideas?

6. Member
    Go back and try again. Make sure that you follow Todd's directions step by step, one at a time.
    There are times that it looks like nothing is going on. Be patient. Notice the wait times Todd posted.

Garmin need to improve this so that there is always an informative message being displayed so you know what is going on.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member

New update

Quote Originally Posted by Komatoz521 View Post
    Yes sir you will
    new update worked like a champ. Definitely a improvement in the steering.

8. Member
    Todd, I Just noticed that after this update, in the remote: “Trolling motor” “Software version” shows 2.40 but “Firmware version” shows Invalid! How come? I am quite sure I updated it correctly.

In addition, when I set TM battery to show as Voltage numbers, it works as desired in the remote, but it still shows a battery icon on the TM bar in char plotter. Bug? Other TM settings are all synced except this one.

Also, the TM bar misses a waypoint mark button, that should mark the TM’s GPS location, like the button on the remote (unless Garmin can share GPS from TM to MFD as I mentioned in another thread).

Can you FW these issues to the engineers? Thanks!
    Last edited by BassTracker175; 04-22-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    Todd, I Just noticed that after this update, in the remote: “Trolling motor” “Software version” shows 2.40 but “Firmware version” shows Invalid! How come? I am quite sure I updated it correctly.

In addition, when I set TM battery to show as Voltage numbers, it works as desired in the remote, but it still shows a battery icon on the TM bar in char plotter. Bug? Other TM settings are all synced except this one.

Also, the TM bar misses a waypoint mark button, that should mark the TM’s GPS location, like the button on the remote (unless Garmin can share GPS from TM to MFD as I mentioned in another thread).

Can you FW these issues to the engineers? Thanks!
    The “Invalid” software version must be a bug. Engineers will look into it. Yes, the chartplotters don’t have voltage yet, but this is something already on their list to add, as well as TM GPS as an optional source for MFDs. No time frame for these additions has been established yet.
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Member
    Maybe a dumb question but I do not want my live scope updated, I am several revisions back and don’t want to screw it up. If I update the force is it going to push unwanted revs to my livescope box? I also have the new livescope updates sitting in active captain that I have been ignoring and I can’t delete them to make sure they are not pushed when I update the force, maybe I can just leave the other units turned off or disconnect power? I really don’t want to mess this up and end up with 2.33 on my livescope

11. Member
    When you update Force, based on the method here, only your cellphone connects to the Force TM, and vice versa, not the rest stuff, so you can update it independently, with or without powering on or off the rest stuff.

Meanwhile, you’d better update your chart plotter to the SAME VERSION, so features are in sync. When you do this, you must unplug your LiveScope blackbox , so it won’t be updated.

That being said, IDEALLY, LiveScope should be brought to the same version as well, to avoid potential conflicts. That’s why I think Garmin packs all “compatible devices” firmware in one package, like a family. However, based on the recent issue and the feedbacks, you will take a little risk (almost 0) by leaving LiveScope not updated (or behind) for now.

Quote Originally Posted by john5915 View Post
    Maybe a dumb question but I do not want my live scope updated, I am several revisions back and don’t want to screw it up. If I update the force is it going to push unwanted revs to my livescope box? I also have the new livescope updates sitting in active captain that I have been ignoring and I can’t delete them to make sure they are not pushed when I update the force, maybe I can just leave the other units turned off or disconnect power? I really don’t want to mess this up and end up with 2.33 on my livescope
    Last edited by BassTracker175; 04-23-2020 at 09:48 PM.

12. Member
    I do not have my 122 linked to force yet for the same fears so all I want to update is the force.

13. Member
    Can you update with a laptop computer (windows 10) using active captain or do you have to use a smart phone ?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201 Stratos View Post
    Can you update with a laptop computer (windows 10) using active captain or do you have to use a smart phone ?
    Good question! I have a filp phone. Using the SD card is great for me.

15. Member
    It's an android and apple app... smartphone is a must.

16. Member
    I just got my Force Installed last weekend, and finally got the motor updated. The first try apparently I still had the 126 Ultra wifi on and it tried to update through the 126 which gave an error. Once I finally figured out how to get the Force wifi configured I was able to get the update done correctly it seems. One question I have is that when I check the software version for the Force on the remote, it shows version 2.30, but when I look at the 126 it shows the Force version as 2.40, which is the most current I believe. Why does the remote show a different version than the 126 shows? I haven't been able to get it on the water yet. SO far it seems like an impressive piece of equipment.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201 Stratos View Post
    Almost certainly not. There may be a few computer guru's that can figure out how to run andriod apps (ActiveCaptin) within Windows but for most of us that would be a heavy lift. Stick with the phone as designed.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

18. Member
    Thanks to all that answered ----- Had my daughter come with her smart phone and got it updated ----- for the record , I called Garmin support and he said he didn't think laptop would accomplish it either --- he was correct !