Mercury ProXs 250 Leakdown

<2B117088>

Good morning-
    I am currently in the process of buying a 2015 Basscat Cougar with a 2015 Mercury ProXS 250 with 316 hours. I had the boat taken in to the local Mercury dealer to get the compression/hours checked on it before buying. They did a leakdown test and found that the number one cylinder leaked down at 10% and the number 5 cylinder leaked down at 12%, I do no know the readings of the other cylinders right now. Dealer said they like to keep everything at 10% or lower. The current owner of the boat told them to go ahead and fix anything they needed to since it is under platinum warranty for 3 more years. The engine tech then said that 12% was nothing to worry about and that it should be fine.

I have done some quick searches here regarding leak down tests, but I am not that familiar with them. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice for me on this? I am working on getting more information from the owner and dealer too.

Thank you

**added info***
    the rest of the cylinders read as following: cylinder 2: 3%, cylinder 3: 7%, cylinder 4: 5% and cylinder 6: 8%
    they also told me that they did the leak down without it being warmed up. Long story short, they assured me that everything is fine and that I will not have a problem, does that sound correct?
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-27-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added info
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

2. Member
    Get the Platinum product protection transferred to you and don't worry about it. If it goes down product protection will take care of it. Good luck.
    Rick Collis
    903-473-8820

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Leakdown tests must be done with the engine WARM. Same for Compression Tests. If the dealer performed either "cold" I would personally be thinking about looking for someone familar with properly performing these tests.

Anything over 10% is in need of repair NOW. Normally start looking for causes of leakage at 6% or higher.

What's the serial number?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    2B117088

this is my first time having a merc, but the dealer doing all this is very reputable.
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you have not already purchased this- I would strongly encourage you to have the Compression and Leakdown checked again (with the engine hot).

Even though it has Platinum Product Protection- you need to see valid (and much lower) leakdown percentages. Remember: Warranty and Product Protection cover DEFECTS in Materials or Workmanship. They do not necessarily cover every case of "it broke".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Even if you have Platinum Protection and it breaks you're still going to be without a boat for a least a few days!

7. Member
    Very good info. I had leakdown test done last year and was told all were at or <10%, and "that wasnt bad for a 2002 motor". Now I am not so sure, but I really doubt that motor was tested at full operation temperature. So will get er done again.

Sounds like leakdown and compression results should track one another. Any reason to get both done?
    BoBo the Bass Doc
    2015 BassCat Puma
    Ozark Mountain Anglers Bass Club
    Columbia, MO

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBo View Post

Sounds like leakdown and compression results should track one another. Any reason to get both done?
    Very simply:

-Compression test is GOOD information.

-Leakdown Test is BETTER information.

-BOTH provides the BEST information (shy of tearing the engine down for inspection).