Thread: Start wire?

Start wire?

I have a 1 year old boat with a 150 4 stroke on it. It has a side remote throttle/trim control on it labeled as a RC 881170A14. I need to get access to the start wire. Does anyone know if there is any way to access this with out opening the controller or cutting open the wire bundle cable coming into it? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Serial number or your going to get spanked ! Lol...

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontheduck View Post
    Serial number or your going to get spanked ! Lol...
    I'd rather not get spanked! Thanks for the warning.

2B614112

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The Yellow w/Red Stripe wire is available at engine end, and inside the control itself. SOME models had the yellow w/RED stripe wire available inside the sheathing near the 10-pin connector (but not ALL had this).

There was not normally any need to access that circuit with this particular control design.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The Yellow w/Red Stripe wire is available at engine end, and inside the control itself. SOME models had the yellow w/RED stripe wire available inside the sheathing near the 10-pin connector (but not ALL had this).

There was not normally any need to access that circuit with this particular control design.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm just looking for the best place to access the wire for a start isolation line for an ACR/Switch combo that I am installing. The wire is entirely sheathed into the controller, and the connection at the solenoid on the motor is all covered with "liquid rubber", so neither place is quick and easy. I'll probably just open up the sheath near the rear of the boat and splice into the wire.

Thanks again.