Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If It Doesn’t Work....

...We can’t break it! Words from my dad and from a neighbor that passed a few years ago. Both taught me how to troubleshoot things and use basic tools to try and repair stuff. Cars, home stuff, crap that needs a simple fix.

My oven crapped out so I dug into it. A bad $3 relay. Nobody will fix that but I can get the control board for $350 right now! Made a few calls, got the part, 15 minutes of playing with a soldering pen and it’s back in business. If it didn’t work I’d have had to drop the $ anyway so why not try?. Old folks might be crabby and want you off their lawn, but you can learn a lot from them.

AF5CFADE-73F2-474D-9086-FBCC6753A3BD.jpeg

2. Member
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

2009 ELITE 210

Did that a couple weeks ago with our dryer. It would run for about 5 or 10 minutes and then shut off. Did a little googling and though it might be a certain part. It's a 12 year old dryer so we weren't going to spend any money fixing it. My wife had already picked out a new washer and dryer to buy. I went down to the local appliance store to get the part, he told me that it wasn't the problem. He suggested I go home and make sure the motor was clean even showed me how to take the dryer apart. Went home took my compressor and blew out the motor real well, it was extremely dusty. It's been working fine ever since. Guess the motor was getting too hot with all the dust so it was shutting it off. About an hour of total time and $0. My wife was ready to throw in the towel after 5 minutes because "we can't go through a week without the dryer so we need to go buy one now."

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Did that a couple weeks ago with our dryer. It would run for about 5 or 10 minutes and then shut off. Did a little googling and though it might be a certain part. It's a 12 year old dryer so we weren't going to spend any money fixing it. My wife had already picked out a new washer and dryer to buy. I went down to the local appliance store to get the part, he told me that it wasn't the problem. He suggested I go home and make sure the motor was clean even showed me how to take the dryer apart. Went home took my compressor and blew out the motor real well, it was extremely dusty. It's been working fine ever since. Guess the motor was getting too hot with all the dust so it was shutting it off. About an hour of total time and $0. My wife was ready to throw in the towel after 5 minutes because "we can't go through a week without the dryer so we need to go buy one now."
    Same thing with our electric fire place. Wife bought a new one before I had a chance to check it. After a little vacuuming and a lot of compressed air it works fine. Guess it's going down stairs in the spare room.

Fixed my buddies coffee maker once, Bunn coffee maker that quits can be a fusible link .69 cents vs buying a $100 coffee maker. I tell my men as he told you “ if it isn’t working you can’t tear it up worse”. Very few people know or understand how to correctly troubleshoot problems.

7. Member
    Had to add a drop of solder to the back of a Whirlpool dryer control board. Well worth a few minutes of research and digging through the garage for the iron. New appliances are all a wife needs to start a renovation on something.

8. Banned
    Amen ! I will add that anytime the ol
    lady says letz just buy a new one and im
    able to fix it I consider I’m entitled to spend
    half the price of new on toys !! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Arch View Post
    Amen ! I will add that anytime the ol
    lady says letz just buy a new one and im
    able to fix it I consider I’m entitled to spend
    half the price of new on toys !! Lol
    I tried that reasoning too. I asked her for $300 allowance. She rolled her eyes and said no.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Had to add a drop of solder to the back of a Whirlpool dryer control board. Well worth a few minutes of research and digging through the garage for the iron. New appliances are all a wife needs to start a renovation on something.
    I'm assuming if we would have gotten a new washer and dryer that I would have had to paint the laundry room and put up the cabinets that she has been asking me to put up for the past 7 years.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    I'm assuming if we would have gotten a new washer and dryer that I would have had to paint the laundry room and put up the cabinets that she has been asking me to put up for the past 7 years.
    And no telling what else you would have to do. Like redo the floor in laundry room.

12. Member
    I would be broke if I had to pay someone to do everything! Good for you!

people that can do for themselves do, everyone else pays it's good to have it
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

14. Banned
    How many can do it without google,youtube?

Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    How many can do it without google,youtube?
    not many, most that can were doing it before google YT

what is sad is the number of people that are too timid to even give it a shot, plenty of resources out there now to help
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

16. Member
    Between my son and I we'll try to fix it before we replace it. Saved a lot of money that way. I figure...what have you got to lose...it already doesn't work.
    My Uncle threw away a washer and dryer...said dryer doesn't work. $12.00 part...both work and I gave them to a family who needed them.

17. Banned
    I have a saying “google tells you how to
    do it ,YouTube shows ya what you did wrong “ lol

My dad always said There ain't but one degree of broke. You can't break it more.

19. Member
    We all pay for things we can’t do, won’t do, or don’t have time to do.

20. Member
    Amplifier went out, found detail on a cold solider spot, fixed. Beer fridge quit, replaced temp sensor, fixed. Dryer quit, replaced temp sensor, fixed. Beer quit working, refilled my glass, fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast