Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can someone explain the HW units?

I have searched and found a few topics but am still confused by the HW (high and wide) units. What is it they do differently? Are they only for certain applications? Should I avoid buying a Helix HW unit and using it with my other?

I have found some good deals on the gen 2 HW units and dont know if I should steer clear or not. Thanks. Sorry if this has been covered better already.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

HW means High Wide and is a 2D CHIRP frequency range of 140-240 kHz.
    The piezo is Low-Q CHIRP rated and produces better target separation and better detail than the former 83/200 kHz whether it is Chirped or not.

The unit settings for HW CHIRP are Full, Wide (lower part of the frequency range) and Narrow (upper part of the frequency range).

All the G3 and G3N units in the Helix series and the SOLIX G2 units have standard HW CHIRP.

The only G2N models with HW CHIRP are the special run Helix 10 SI and Helix 12 SI units that have been on sale since Black Friday. They are a re-release of the discontinued 2017/2018 G2N models with the different standard 2D frequency.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 02-29-2020 at 07:54 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Wow. That's a lot and I think I follow. I appreciate your response.

Just to clarify, all new G2 and G3 units are now standard high and wide. The ones on sale are the ones that were the first HW capable units? Are they any worse than new units?

Lastly, can I buy one of the rereleased units and just add it to the existing 12" unit I have and network it in without an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    Wow. That's a lot and I think I follow. I appreciate your response.

Just to clarify, all new G2 and G3 units are now standard high and wide. The ones on sale are the ones that were the first HW capable units? Are they any worse than new units?

Lastly, can I buy one of the rereleased units and just add it to the existing 12" unit I have and network it in without an issue?
    The ones that Bass Pro and Cabelas have been selling at what seems 1/2 price are the special run models. Have to LOOK at the real model names, not what is advertised. Helix 10 CHIRP HW SI GPS G2N and Helix 12 CHIRP HW SI GPS G2N are the two. They have special transducers that are ONLY available with those units.

There is no "worse" unit. The G3N units have more POWER and have + in their model names.

Yes you can network both G2N releases and the G3N.
    For just waypoints you can network any model older than those if they are Ethernet capable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    https://www.scheels.com/p/humminbird...=en_US&start=1

This was the unit I was looking at. Thought about adding one to my console with my Helix 10 Mega SI that I have and also 1 at the bow to replace my 1199 unit.

https://www.scheels.com/p/humminbird...=en_US&start=1

This was the unit I was looking at. Thought about adding one to my console with my Helix 10 Mega SI that I have and also 1 at the bow to replace my 1199 unit.
    That is the new G2N with HW CHIRP. Better advertisment than what Bass Pro and Cabels has.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Other than not being the latest G3 model, is that unit missing anything that the other G2s came with?

Sorry, I feel like I am making this difficult but I came from Lowrance and am still learning these birds.

Other than not being the latest G3 model, is that unit missing anything that the other G2s came with?

Sorry, I feel like I am making this difficult but I came from Lowrance and am still learning these birds.

It is not "missing" anything. Just has a DIFFERENT 2D piezo.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    It is not "missing" anything. Just has a DIFFERENT 2D piezo.

Just to add, these units are technically discontinued Gen2 units but are not left over units. I have a H10 build date October 6 2019. And have two years warranty.
    Last edited by loganmartincat; 02-25-2020 at 05:45 AM.

10. Member
    With this unit need an additional transducer to maintain bottom or depth reading at speed?

11. Member
    With this unit need an additional transducer to maintain bottom or depth reading at speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye1 View Post
    It is no different than any other SI model, depends on what craft the installation is on.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Wayne, been looking at all the posts on the Cabelas/Bass pro Helix 10 HW MSI GPS G2N. I bought 2 of them on Feb 22. From what I understand is that they have the Low Q chirp sonar included. I am upgrading from an 899 console and 859 bow. I have purchased the 9 M SIDB Y cable and the XP 9 HW thru hull dual freq transducer for high speed depth reading. I imaginge that the thru hull will now provide the down imaging instead of the transom transducer and will retain all of the upgraded features of the HW? I have an XP 9 20 thru hulll already but it will not provide the detail that the unit is capable of. I looked up the accessories for this unit on the humminbird site and there is a dual heilx starter kit that calls for the XP 9 HW. Is this the correct setup?

Is the only difference between this model and the G3N the power of the Mega and the Down Imaging? Is the power what makes the G3N the mega +? Lastly, the software upgrade description does not exaclty match the model. It is close. My unit is the Helix 10 HW MSI GPS G2N. The closest software upgrade is "HELIX 10 HW CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N. Is this the correct one? It is a newer version. It adds 360 imaging. Will this unit support this or will it only receive the info from a networked G3N Mega+? Thaks for your help

The HWFG Starter Kit includes the XP 9 HW shoot-thru transducer. Yes that will work.
    The HW is not Down Imaging, it is 2D sonar.
    HW is not compatible with the XP 9 20 which is a 83/200 kHz transducer.

Yes the only difference is the power (+).

Yes that is the correct software. It does not add support for the MEGA 360, just adds menus and views to display it when shared from a G3N.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    Thanks Wayne.

16. Member
    Hey Wayne, do you know if they will restock the units? Bass Pro says out of stock. I was able to snag one, but I kind of want another to run dual units on the console. Or has the run ended?

17. Member
    HW means High Wide and is a 2D CHIRP frequency range of 140-240 kHz.
    The piezo is Low-Q CHIRP rated and produces better target separation and better detail than the former 83/200 kHz whether it is Chirped or not.

The unit settings for HW CHIRP are Full, Wide (lower part of the frequency range) and Narrow (upper part of the frequency range).

All the G2 and G3N units in the Helix series and the SOLIX G2 units have standard HW CHIRP.

The only G2N models with HW CHIRP are the special run Helix 10 SI and Helix 12 SI units that have been on sale since Black Friday. They are a re-release of the discontinued 2017/2018 G2N models with the different standard 2D frequency.
    I’m a little confused. You say all the G2 and G3N in the Helix series have standard HW CHIRP and the only G2N units are the special run units. The transducer XTM 9 HW T says it’s compatible with all Helix 12 CHIRP G2N/G3N units. Is this different than the Low Q CHIRP?
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    I’m a little confused. You say all the G2 and G3N in the Helix series have standard HW CHIRP and the only G2N units are the special run units. The transducer XTM 9 HW T says it’s compatible with all Helix 12 CHIRP G2N/G3N units. Is this different than the Low Q CHIRP?
    Actually it is G3 and G3N units. I'll correct that.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    Actually it is G3 and G3N units. I'll correct that.
    Again, still confused. I have a Helix 12 CHIRP DI GPS G2N 410370-1 unit with the latest software. I use the above transducer. So is this unit compatible with the HW transducer or should I be using the DI TM transducer? I have a 360 so I can’t use the DI or it will cause interference I’m assuming.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Again, still confused. I have a Helix 12 CHIRP DI GPS G2N 410370-1 unit with the latest software. I use the above transducer. So is this unit compatible with the HW transducer or should I be using the DI TM transducer? I have a 360 so I can’t use the DI or it will cause interference I’m assuming.
    There are two Helix 12 CHIRP DI GPS G2N models. One is what you have and the other is the Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G2N.
    The MEGA DI unit has HW CHIRP and yours does not.

The SI model automatically turns off SI and DI when the 360 view is selected unless it is set it so it doesn't.
    Don't know what a G2N DI model does, but its standard 2D frequency is 200/455 kHz.

There are two trolling motor puck versions for your unit.
    XTM 9 DI 25 T=matches the transom transducer and default frequencies.
    XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T does 83/200 kHz 2D sonar.

IF your unit got software to make it compatible with the Minnkota MDI transducer, then you have a setting that gives you HW CHIRP to use a transducer with a HW CHIRP piezo. Built-in HW+MDI.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast