Point 1/Simrad GS25 mounting location

I purchased a Simrad GS25 (which apparently is the same as a Point 1 except NMEA is connected externally) and based on several recommendations, am planning to mount in the bilge compartment. I ordered the GS25 instead of the Point 1 primarily because I found it for $149 vs $199 and also thought the external NMEA connection would be handier as far as placement but didn't realize the NMEA port would be sticking out so far as to make it impossible lay flat on any surface. I did find I could lay it flat on top of the gas tank due to the indentation or groove in the side of the tank. I was thinking of cutting a square of cutting board plastic with cutouts for the cable, screw the GS25 into this and then attach this to the top of the tank with 3M double sided tape. Any reason the antenna would not work there?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Plenty of reasons it MIGHT not work. Proximity to the outboard and batteries would be the likely culprits. You need to test it on the water with OB at WOT and while running the TM at several speeds at any potential mounting spot before doing anything permanent.

I’ve installed several GPS pucks up under the gunwale by putting silicon adhesive on top of the puck. Would work under the deck as well as long as it’s not shielded by a metal hatch.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    You might want to rethink what you are doing here. Mounting GS25 (or a Point-1, or any GPS-receiver) below deck will most likely influence its performance. The whole idea of having an external GPS-receiver and not just using the internal receiver in your unit, is to place the external receiver in an ideal spot. Make sure to double check both heading (due to possible magnetic interference) and GPS before mounting it permanently.

4. Member
    Gemeco install app. It will have a magnetic read out right on your phone for interference .... I’d recommend what team collibri said and would try my hardest to find an external mounting location. Depending on your units I’d keep it as close to transducers as possible. The good thing about 3m strips though .... you can easily remove it, so you could always test it in your preferred location.

5. Member
    The only reason I suggested mounting there, is because several others have mounted in that location on this forum as well as others. The hatch is composite and the top of my fuel tank is less than 6 inches from the deck, so I'm not concerned with not getting a clear signal. As is, the strength of GPS signal is nearly double what I'm getting from my Elite Ti which has a clear shot of the sky. There's a good chance I won't be keeping it anyway. I only bought it based on Navico's recommendation that it may help the autopilot navigation issues between my MotorGuide and Lowrance, but I'm doubtful in those regards.

6. Member
    I love the point 1 that I have for three HDs carbon units. I’m waiting on the motorguide tour pro, I’m a bit confused of where the trolling motor will think it’s at, if it uses the gps location of the pick or if it’s built in?! I’d think if the puck was at the back of the boat and the TM was at the front, will the TM constantly be spinning to keep the puck in place

7. Member
    The TM uses its own GPS and headingsensor.