Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trolling Motor Installation

I am about to pull the trigger on an Ultrex for my 2017 Sabre. It currently has the factory installed Fortrex. I lifted the Fortrex pedal to get access to the underside of the Fortrex mount and was surprised to find solid gelcoat! There is no hole (and cover plate) under the pedal. Both my other Basscats had it.

How do I install the Ultrex mount without the access hole? Do I have to buy a giant holesaw and cover myself? If so, what size saw and plate?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

2. Member
    Does it have a removable plate where the trolling motor plugs in? My 2016 Puma doesn't have a removable plate under the trolling motor pedal either, but there is an access plate where the trolling motor plugs in.

3. Member
    Just remove the bow panel and do it all through there. That is how I changed my Fortrex to Ultrex on a 2015 P2. The access port under a foot pedal is for ease of installation of electronics on the bow. Remember that you may have to remove the starboard plastic panel on the Ulrex mount to find all of the mounting holes.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    I am cutting this hole this evening! Yes i bought a 4 inch hole saw. Im tired of making it hard on my self! I think this will make life easier for my graph installation!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Does it have a removable plate where the trolling motor plugs in? My 2016 Puma doesn't have a removable plate under the trolling motor pedal either, but there is an access plate where the trolling motor plugs in.
    It does have the plate where the TM plugs is located. When I replaced the trolling motor on my Cougar, it was MUCH easier to do everything through the hole under the pedal.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    I am cutting this hole this evening! Yes i bought a 4 inch hole saw. Im tired of making it hard on my self! I think this will make life easier for my graph installation!
    What cover are you going to use? I was thinking about just using the floor drain cover from the BCB store. There are already drains for the recessed area so water can go down through that area.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

7. Member
    When i put my dual console in bcb shipped a cover plate for a 4 inch hole. I have a stereo so i already had a opening for access for that job. Bcb sells a cover plate for this application.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

8. Member
    The cover can be purchased on the BCB store site.
    Its the same cover used for dual console installation.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

9. Member
    It's always been easier for me to go in at the plug plate. Please be advised that there is two aluminum plates that go under the deck. These are held in place by the bolts that the trolling motor mount uses. I use silicone on the face of the plate to help "glue" it to the deck underside while putting the bolts in.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

That's how i got in
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    It's always been easier for me to go in at the plug plate. Please be advised that there is two aluminum plates that go under the deck. These are held in place by the bolts that the trolling motor mount uses. I use silicone on the face of the plate to help "glue" it to the deck underside while putting the bolts in.
    John
    Good info. I really want a new trolling motor (Ultrex or the MG tour), but I am concerned about whomever installs it doing it correctly (as BassCat would do on a new boat).

12. Member
    Good info. I really want a new trolling motor (Ultrex or the MG tour), but I am concerned about whomever installs it doing it correctly (as BassCat would do on a new boat).
    If your boat already has a trolling motor on it, it pretty hard to screw up. It should be unbolt the old one and bolt the new one on in the same holes. Bolt patterns are the same from older models to new unless it’s a really old model. It’s really not a hard job.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

Swapped the TM on my 03 Cougar for the 2nd time since I have had it when I put the Garmin Force on mine. mine does not have the big access hole under the foot pedal either so I had to go through the Plug plate. wasn't a huge issue but if you have large forearms your gonna be sore when your done. im not a big arm guy by any means and I had to almost force my arm through the plug hole to get to the very front bolts on the TM. was not fun but can be done.
    Mine also had the Alum plates like John said under it so I did exactly the same thing he said and used silicone to kind of glue them to the underside so they would stay. I also took and on the bottome side of each of the plates I taped on the stainless washer to keep it in place on the underside and used Lock nuts instead of lock washers for the TM bolts..made things much much eaiser.
    its not a fun task but it can be done through the TM Plug hole.
    oh and I also wired mine up direct instead of using a plug so had to modify that plate where the plug is a little but it worked out great and looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    John
    Thanks for the reminder about the plates. When I switched out the TM on my last boat (a 2016 Cougar), I used duct tape to hold them until the TM was tightened down.

In looking at the Sabre’s nose, it is much smaller and I should be able go through the TM plug plate. I like the idea of lock nuts and regular washers too. Thanks for all the replies.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

15. Member
    I had a helper when I changed Fortrex to Ultrex on my last P2. He unscrewed the bolts from the top of the mount while I held the nut underneath with a wrench from behind the TM bow panel. The plate, nut and washer would fall into my hand. Be sure and tie a long piece of string or something comparable to your wrench in case it falls in behind the panel.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Just undo the big allen head bolt and swap the Fortex assembly for the Ultrex assembly...no need to change the mount!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    Just undo the big allen head bolt and swap the Fortex assembly for the Ultrex assembly...no need to change the mount!
    The Ultrex will not fit on the Fortrex mount (unless the Ultrex was the very first issue in 2017, which was updated and the mount changed after only a few months).
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    The Ultrex will not fit on the Fortrex mount (unless the Ultrex was the very first issue in 2017, which was updated and the mount changed after only a few months).
    wow I was told otherwise.....I have been looking to buy a Fortrex as a "spare" for my Ultrex...good to know!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    wow I was told otherwise.....I have been looking to buy a Fortrex as a "spare" for my Ultrex...good to know!
    You will be fine with that. The Fortrex will fit the Ultrex mount, but the Ultrex will not fit the Fortrex mount. I kept my Fortrex as a spare on my first Ultrex and it fit the Ultrex mount just fine
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    You will be fine with that. The Fortrex will fit the Ultrex mount, but the Ultrex will not fit the Fortrex mount. I kept my Fortrex as a spare on my first Ultrex and it fit the Ultrex mount just fine
    good to know! Appreciate the info and sorry for high jacking your post 06_SB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast