VesselView Link install questions?

I am thinking about adding VesselView link to my 2020 Ranger 520L, Merc 250 Pro XS 4S. I currently have a MercMonitor ECO version. I have the parts list from Rhonda and Don, but haven't pulled the trigger yet and have some install questions.

I have a cable plugged into the MercMonitor. Does that plug get connected to the Vesselview Harness now?

The VesselView Link harness appears to have 2 plugs on it. Does one go to the back of the MercMonitor and one connector to the plug originally in the MercMonitor?

Or

Do I unplug from MercMonitor, and plug everything into a junction box?

I can't seem to find a diagram that shows me everything I want.

Thanks in advance.

- Ken

2. Banned

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You would be installing a Junction Box in place of your current Junction "Adapter".

Then the Vessel View Module would plug into the Junction Box, and connect to a NMEA-2000 Network as a "drop" on the network.

If you do not already have a network, a simple form is found here (from the FAQ):

Simple NMEA-2K Network Layout

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I understand the NMEA2K portion, just not sure how the mercmonitor gers connected back to the jbox. Another cable or with the vesselview link harness?

5. Member
    And does the jbox require a terminator or dust caps?

6. Member
    Depends on the Smartcraft cable (engine to jbox, typically blue), if it has built in terminators or not (usually a yellow section of shrink tube near each end indicating it has terminators built in).
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Ken_In_Va View Post
    I understand the NMEA2K portion, just not sure how the mercmonitor gers connected back to the jbox. Another cable or with the vesselview link harness?
    Ken- see Post# 3.

Let's clarify: Your ECO MercMonitor is currently FUNCTIONING and you can view engine data on it already, CORRECT?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Ken- see Post# 3.

Let's clarify: Your ECO MercMonitor is currently FUNCTIONING and you can view engine data on it already, CORRECT?
    Don, The mercmonitor works fine and I want to continue to use it in addition to the VVL connected to my HDS live. The instruction set I see has "power connection for mercury multi function device" (f). Does this provide data back to the mercmonitor? or MUST i use a separate harness to get data back to the mercmonitor and terminate (f)?

VVL.jpg

Thanks in advance.

- Ken
    SN 2B635878

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ken- you need a JUNCTION BOX. That is what your MercMonitor AND your Vessel View Link will connect to (it also connects to your Smartcraft Harness Connector, which is currently adapted/connected to your MercMonitor directly).

The drawing you referenced above is denoting the NMEA-2000 network (NOT the Smartcraft Network). The Power Node you see is required to permit data on the NMEA-2000 Network (a powered network). That power node DOES NOT POWER YOUR SMARTCRAFT DEVICES.

10. Member
    What gets data to the mercmonitor? I assume some sort of smartcraft cable connected to the j box?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your MercMonitor currently has a black harness plugged into it. That harness will plug into the Junction Box.

In other words- ALL SMARTCRAFT CONNECTORS will plug into the Junction Box. The connector on the keyswitch harness (or the blue cable), the MercMonitor's harness, and the Vessel View Link's harness will all be plugged into the Junction Box, permitting Smartcraft Network Access.

12. Member
    Thanks Don. What was throwing me off is I do not have a junction box. Just a gender bender.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That Gender-Bender (aka: Junction Adapter) will be replaced with a Junction BOX, so that multiple devices can be plugged in (rather than just one device).

14. Member
    I'm running into the same thing with the same boat. I don't have the J box and looking to add vessel view link. I'm not going to keep the monitor gauge that's in there. Is there a way to plug the smart craft harness into the link box without a j box?

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can't plug a female connector into a female connector.

Just a reminder: ONE engine/poster per thread (see Forum Announcements for more details). Thanks!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Ken_In_Va View Post
    Don, The mercmonitor works fine and I want to continue to use it in addition to the VVL connected to my HDS live. The instruction set I see has "power connection for mercury multi function device" (f). Does this provide data back to the mercmonitor? or MUST i use a separate harness to get data back to the mercmonitor and terminate (f)?

VVL.jpg

Thanks in advance.

- Ken
    SN 2B635878
    His diagram indeed shows the J-Box and the SC network in the lower left corner, denoted by (i)...Assumption in the diagram is that there is a SmartCraft network on the other side of the J-Box, no?
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be correct- the keyswitch harness or Can-P harness is not shown in this depiction.

It's been confirmed that he will not use "F".