Looking for a rigging tube advice, adapters, fittings, should I do it on older Opti?

I'm looking into going to a rigging tube to clean up the splash well and to do away with the tired ol' woven loom control cable cover and the crumbling zip-tie rubber boot at the boat end on my Opti, but have a few challenges I'm sure many of you have already overcome. Any and all pointers would be appreciated:

1. For just a basic 20' bass boat installation, fuel lines, wiring, control cables and soon to add a Smartcraft cable, is a 2" tube enough or should I go 2.5"? Is 2.5" too big? Any tips on brand tubes to use or ones to avoid?

2. At the current cable hole thru the fiberglass, the rubber boot's bezel is pretty large, OD is 4.4 inches, and many 2" rigging tube flanges may not cover up the entire scar, screw hole circle, etc.? Maybe I should go 2.5" tube for that reason? Couple solutions include a T&T flange with a very large screw bezel, or this 5" OD thru-hull swiveling flange by CP Performance that's 5" OD? For 2.5" OD (2" ID) tube:
    Screen-Shot-2020-02-23-at-10-18-19-PM.jpg

3. Anyone know the part number, brands or sources for the fitting at the motor end of this deal? Does it even exist for my old 2001? This project may end here if I can't get one of these. My current one is 2" on the outside with the outter zip-tie groove. This is an example of the cleaner looking newer versions where the tube goes inside.
    Screen-Shot-2020-02-23-at-10-24-52-PM.jpg

4. Hydraulic Seastar steering hoses? They're not in this tube setup, they're outside. Do you drill holes and get thru hull-type fittings and add a pair of hoses to the ram? Are there some fittings that let you pass the hoses through without breaking them up, sorta like these (obviously not my boat):
    Screen-Shot-2020-02-23-at-10-33-09-PM.jpg

5. Someday I'll add a 8"-10" Bob's JP, but right now my 225 is flat on the transom, so when tilting all the way up for trailering, I can see there's a space problem, and a lot of stress on the cables, I'm sure that'll put stress on the tube and it'd be a bummer to do all that work installing it and have it crack, so that's a challenge too; wait until I get the JP or do the tube now? Kinda like this web pic where you can see that even in running position there isn't much room for the tube, and tilting it will definitely stress the plastic tube. Big problem?
    Screen-Shot-2020-02-23-at-10-12-43-PM.jpg
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Best thing would likely be to go with a later model LARGER rigging tube and flange.

Options on the steering are:

-Bulkhead Fittings and a pair of shorter hoses to go from those to the cylinder

-A smaller boot or flange to bring the steering hoses in through

-New steering hoses with transom flanges on them (bit hard to put those on an existing hose... hoses are usually ordered with them in place).

If you're going with the later-style rigging flanges, you'll need the complete kit (has the boat flange, hose, and engine flange/clamp/hardware). It WILL fit your cowling.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Best thing would likely be to go with a later model LARGER rigging tube and flange.

Options on the steering are:

-Bulkhead Fittings and a pair of shorter hoses to go from those to the cylinder

-A smaller boot or flange to bring the steering hoses in through

-New steering hoses with transom flanges on them (bit hard to put those on an existing hose... hoses are usually ordered with them in place).

If you're going with the later-style rigging flanges, you'll need the complete kit (has the boat flange, hose, and engine flange/clamp/hardware). It WILL fit your cowling.
    I just saw those Teleflex bulkhead steering hoses and see they also sell the bulkhead fittings and shorter hoses. Is the complete tube kit you mention a Mercury part or is there something better available in the aftermarket? My biggest concern is that plastic 'vacuum cleaner hose' crack in a year or three and require de-rigging again... Thanks a million Don.
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    842756T01 is the part number for the complete rigging tube kit (with flanges).

The flexible hose does very well, as long as it's not pinched or impinged on. Over-trimming to the point that it kinks will, over time, result in it splitting (in some cases it can simply be trimmed to remove about 2").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor