Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

May have an issue......

......with my 2014 SHO. Made a two mile run from the ramp yesterday morning. Buddy running behind me said it was “smoking a little”. We were in a tournament so I went to fishing for a while and when I started it up to make a move a huge white puff of smoke emerged from the exhaust. Decided not to run and fish where I was the rest of the day. Made a coupe of idle moves in the cove with the same result at startup. Decided to finish close to launch site and eased back the two miles on pad at low rpms in case it was in the verge of blowing. Made it back alright and plan to call the mechanic in the morning but thought I’d see if anyone had experienced the same thing. Motor has about 250 hours on it. Thanks.
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Check oil level
    2017 Pheonix 919, 225 SHO,

3. Member
    Check the oil and see if there is water in it!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

4. Member
    Early on, the dipstick may not look milky.

When mine started taking on water the first indicator of milky oil was on the underside of the oil fill cap.

Dealer couldnt figure out where the water was coming from. Ranger had them drain the oil
    Leaving the oil plug out, hook the motor to the muffs and let the water flow.
    15 minutes in water started dripping from the oil plug.

Powerhead was replaced under warranty at 130hrs.

Hope you still have a little warranty left or they find an easy fix.

5. Member
    Checked the oil. Definitely milky and an inch above the top hole on the dipstick. Dealer did a full service in August including oil change. Checked the oil myself after I got it back from them and then two or three times on subsequent trips since then.......generally do it after every other fill up. Last of my warranty ran out at the end of 2019. Feelin screwed. Set up to have it to dealer early next week.

6. Member
    Call Yamaha! Motors should not get water in the crankcase under normal operation.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

7. Member
    I had the exact same sequence of events (and I mean exactly the same) w/ my 2011 225.

I’ll keep it short: powerhead was toast. Initial leak down tests etc. showed nothing so I got my hopes up but that was short lived. Smoked so much I took to another Yamaha guy who figured out it was done after doing that Yamaha recommended test.

after I did the math - rebuilt powerhead w/ no help from Yamaha (90 day warranty) or a new motor w/ 6 year warranty (Fall promo) I hung a new SHO.

hope it plays out better for you.
    Last edited by BassinLA13; 02-24-2020 at 11:54 PM.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    Checked the oil. Definitely milky and an inch above the top hole on the dipstick. Dealer did a full service in August including oil change. Checked the oil myself after I got it back from them and then two or three times on subsequent trips since then.......generally do it after every other fill up. Last of my warranty ran out at the end of 2019. Feelin screwed. Set up to have it to dealer early next week.
    If you're only 2 months out of warranty, don't give up yet. With your dealer's help, Yamaha might step up. Keep us posted on outcome. Good luck.

9. Member
    Mike, get ahold of Hydrotech Marine in Nixa Mo. Speak with Matt or Wayne Worthy. If something can be done for your SHO they are the guys! They also have an unbelievable reputation with Yamaha. They will give you the best chance either way, hopefully Yamaha will step up for you. It’s worth your time to call them. Tell them Ryan Clark referred you. Feel free to PM me. I had a 2011 SHO that did something real similar.

10. Member
    Thank you for the information and encouragement guys. Dealer is checking options for me including reaching out to Yamaha.

Ryan,
    I will give them a call as well and thanks for the lead.

I’ll update as this progresses.
    Last edited by Mike A; 02-26-2020 at 04:35 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    Thank you fir the information and encouragement guys. Dealer is checking options for me including reaching out to Yamaha.

Ryan,
    I will give them a call as well and thanks for the lead.

I’ll update as this progresses.
    You need to call Yamaha! Something like this happened to my brother with his 2011 that was way out of warranty. Dealer told him almost $10,000 for new power head. Called Yamaha and they replaced for free. This is a Yamaha problem.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    You need to call Yamaha! Something like this happened to my brother with his 2011 that was way out of warranty. Dealer told him almost $10,000 for new power head. Called Yamaha and they replaced for free. This is a Yamaha problem.
    Yes def try this ... I was told by my mechanic that if my 2011 SHO had been 1. bought my me i.e I was the first owner and 2. it didn't have a new powerhead already that Yamaha would "probably" help.

Unfortunately I was the 3rd owner and it already had a PH replacement under warranty.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinLA13 View Post
    I had the exact same sequence of events (and I mean exactly the same) w/ my 2011 225.

I’ll keep it short: powerhead was toast. Initial leak down tests etc. showed nothing so I got my hopes up but that was short lived. Smoked so much I took to another Yamaha guy who figured out it was done after doing that Yamaha recommended test.
    Was the actual cause determined? Cracked block? Head?
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkBird View Post
    In my Brother's case the dealer/mechanic said it was cracked head and blamed on overheating even though when it happened we didn't get any alarm and there was no computer history of alarms or over heating. Unless you have a dealer/mechanic that is willing to fight for you they will just say it's out of warranty and good luck. That's why if this happens the person needs to contact Yamaha themselves. My brother had to push real hard with Yamaha but in the end they replaced at their cost. Remember the power head replacement program? My brother didn't get any notice because his motor is a 200 but that doesn't mean the issue wasn't there.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

15. Member
    Wayne at Hydrotech said that based on my description of what happened that I MAY only have a blown head gasket. Won’t know for sure til dealer tears into it next week. We’ll see what comes of it and go forward based on that........AND how the dealer responds.
    Wayne also allowed as how dealers will sometimes just defer to the warranty department and he said the best course is to go directly thru customer service.

16. Member
    I cracked a head on my 2014 SHO at 250 hours 2-3 years ago. Word I got from shop was Yamaha had an issue with casting. I was under warranty, they installed new long block.

If yours is a cracked head, I hope they step up for you. I would definitely ask them to do so. Call Yamaha directly if you need to.

Merc stepped up for me on a 250 EFI failed lower unit that was out of warranty when I asked for help and I sure respect them for that.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkBird View Post
    Similar to woppercatcher mine was was also a cracked head, between the 2nd & 3rd cylinder, attributed to overheating - however I had no audible alarms whatsoever.

There has been a F'--- 'n lot of SHOs with blown powerheads and low hours. They also stated mine was from overheating. b/s.

19. Member
    I had a 2014 250 SHO with 200 hours and cracked heads. Yamaha dealer said I had an overheat alarm logged on the computer. I am the only one that drives my boat and absolutely had never heard any alarm or had no indication of a problem. Anyway Yamaha installed a new long block under warranty. I guess there where a lot of problems with heads cracking... Hope that's in the past!

20. Member
    I had the exact same symptoms. Mine actually had oil comming out of the top breather intake. Water was getting in from internal anodes leaking by and actually pushing the oil out. Mine is a 2016 with 218 hours. The PH was replaced under warantee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast