Thread: Only 8-9mph...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Only 8-9mph...

Bought an 89’ Ranger 374v last Spring...ran great last season. I just picked my boat up a couple days ago after having a Helix 10 installed...There was also some minor things repaired but no major engine work done...I took it out on the Cal-Sag this afternoon and it started right up...After idling around for a while and checking out my new Helix I tried to get the boat up on plane (punch it).... at about 8-9 mph it would stutter (wah-wah-wah)...I didn’t want to damage anything so I motored back to the launch. If it was in neutral I could floor it and it would rev high, but not while in gear...It is a 1994 Evinrude 175 intruder. The hot foot was moved about six inches toward the stern of the boat while serviced, But as far as I know nothing in the drivetrain was opened up...Basically just gapped and put new spark plugs in...

I am obviously going to call this week and see if I can bring the boat back in for service But was just curious to see if anyone out there knows what this could be...It seemed to be a gearing/transmission issue to me, but I am not well-versed at all in outboard motors...

thanks!!!

2. Member
    Moving the hot foot probably changed the throttle, now you don't get full throttle. Just a thought.

3. Member
    plug wires on wrong plugs?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Thanks fellas... I’ll keep you posted

5. Member

6. Member
    Was this the first time you had it on the water since putting it away last season?

7. Member
    Yes it was, Steve...maybe it was working out the sea foam? I’m gonna try and switch over to the starboard gastank and see if it resolves itself before I take it in...I’ll try and post the video with sound...

8. Member

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Can't find the page when I click on the link.

10. Member

11. Member
    Thanks for looking, ChampioNman! Appreciate it!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    plug wires on wrong plugs?
    Yes and correct spark plugs? Champion QL78YC gap at .030, not NGK's. I would not call that a wah, wah, wah, sounds like it's not running on all cylinders. I have a new rule, for what it's worth, if a member doesn't have the time to answer questions, old juggie doesn't have the time to help.

13. Member
    Thanks juggie, I will order some Champions...I believe they are NGKs they put in...you da man...

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyfitz78 View Post
    Thanks juggie, I will order some Champions...I believe they are NGKs they put in...you da man...

15. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    I have a new rule, for what it's worth, if a member doesn't have the time to answer questions, old juggie doesn't have the time to help.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

16. Member
    Had the exact issue on my 200 HP, the issue was the water pump impeller needed to be replaced and engine was heating up which caused the engine to limp along sounding just like yours. Would idle and start with no problem. Replaced the impeller and worked like a champ.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_Hubbard View Post
    Had the exact issue on my 200 HP, the issue was the water pump impeller needed to be replaced and engine was heating up which caused the engine to limp along sounding just like yours. Would idle and start with no problem. Replaced the impeller and worked like a champ.
    You should have had a warning horn for over heat, depending on what year motor, that would have started the S.L.O.W.. Your motor would not go over 2500 RPM, and run very rough.

18. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I had a problem with my fastrike this summer and it turned out to be the power pac had gone south as they say wouldn't go over 2500 in gear and sounded like crap. Just a thought NGK's are garbage in those motors
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

19. Member
    Excellent info, gentlemen! I appreciate the input!!! I’ll swap back the plugs and order an impeller...Thanks fellas!!

20. Member
    Juggie, Thanks for the information...I apologize I didn’t answer the original question right away because I had to call the shop to see what plugs they put in and it took me a couple days...My pops was an auto mechanic so I’m pretty sure we can handle the plug swap out and I’ve already watched a couple videos on putting the new impeller in...Appreciate the advice fellas, that sounds exactly like what’s going on...Since I’m in Chicago and the weather is just starting to change I plan on doing this job in the next couple weeks...Any advice on where to order the parts online?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast