Thread: Only 8-9mph...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

2. Member
    Excellent thanks mactlman!

3. Member
    Don't just put in an impeller, install the whole kit. If your warning horn is working and you did not get a warning horn signal, the impeller is not your problem. However it's good to have a good water pump. Get a real OMC service manual for this motor, you and Pop can fix anything with the info in this manual.

4. Member
    some real good you tube videos also if needed

the directions in the oem kit is great also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

5. Member
    Thanks Fellas...I appreciate the advice and time more than you know. My dad has a bad back and can’t work on cars anymore...this will be a nice project for us...he smokes a cigar and tells me what to do! Haha! At least I graduated from being the “light holder”! I’ll hopefully have no more questions for you...I’ll order the kit and hopefully post a pic in a few weeks when we are back up and running!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyfitz78 View Post
    Thanks Fellas...I appreciate the advice and time more than you know. My dad has a bad back and can’t work on cars anymore...this will be a nice project for us...he smokes a cigar and tells me what to do! Haha! At least I graduated from being the “light holder”! I’ll hopefully have no more questions for you...I’ll order the kit and hopefully post a pic in a few weeks when we are back up and running!
    And don't forget about the service manual.

7. Member
    Juggie, both the manual and water pump kit are ordered and on their way...have a great week fellas

8. Member
    Finally got some time to get the new champion plugs in and new thermostats...With everything going on in the world right now it was actually very therapeutic...My Seven-year-old daughter helped me, too!

When I removed one of the thermostats it’s piston was out a few millimeters....so I’m hoping that’s the issue...But I have been reading my manual and plan on putting in a water pump kit this weekend to cover all the basics.

Thanks again fellas for your advice and time,

fitz

9. Member
    Success!! Since I'm off work due the virus...I was able to finish the plugs, thermostats, and new water pump...Just started it up the the driveway....pissin' and sounding great....
    Hopefully I can get on the water soon (Are we allowed under these restrictions???) and if I can't get on plane now, I'll look into the power pack....

THANKS!!!! I know it's old news to you boys, but I feel like it was a great accomplishment!

10. Member
    in Ohio we can fish and use the lakes?
    MAGA

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Keep us posted on how she runs once you get her in the water and stuff ok
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

12. Member
    UPDATE: Finally got her in the water today in Chicago...She did not overheat, was pissing great, and I got her up to about 43 mph...ha! Much better than 8-9mph in limp mode...HOWEVER, Reverse would not engage...It seems like it wanted to go but wouldn’t fully sync...But thanks to all of your gentleman’s advice I have my manual now! I will go read up on it and I hope it’s just a simple adjustment of throttle cable from reinstalling the lower unit����

Thanks fellas!

13. Member

14. Member
    Did you check the shift rod height before you re-installed the lower unit. If not check the manual for the info and check to see if it engages in both forward and reverse. I’m sure juggie and championman can enlighten you more thinks to check,but that is the most overlooked.
    Ed

15. Member
    Thanks Ed...I read another post that championman said 21 1/4 inches...Thanks sir I’ll keep you posted...Quite possible I moved it when I was wrestling that final screw in....hahaha

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes 21 1/4 in neutral from the top of the gear case deck to the center of the shift rod hole.

17. Member
    Page 7-29 in the manual...thanks Championman

18. Member
    Back to the drawing board...My father and I were able to remove the lower unit and measure the shift rod to 21 1/4" in neutral. After getting the lower unit back on we were still unable to engage reverse. When the lower unit was off I could manually engage reverse moving the shift rod down. It did take a little wiggling with moving propeller/driveshaft. Do you guys think I should still mess with the length of the shift rod? It seems that if I lengthen it then I may be able to engage reverse (there's a slight bend on the first two inches or so on the shift rod near the eyehole...maybe it's supposed to be that way or maybe someone has messed with it before?). Please advise on if you think it may be something else entirely, but the water pump change seems to be working well, and I have a hard time believing that any drivetrain issues coincidentally arose right after I changed water pump....Thanks in advance fellas! Getting close to taking her in....wah-wah......haha.

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No don't mess with the height. Pull the shift rod up so it is in forward. there is a slight bend to the rod so that should be pointed towards the front of the motor. Once the case is bolted up (just put in two bolts either side) and engage the shift rod pin and see how it shifts. If good install the remaining bolts.

20. Member
    Success! I now have reverse AND no overheating problems. Thanks to all who gave me ideas and confidence!

I also put new carpeting on my trailer last night near the wheel housing platforms to not slip when standing on...I got the green light to go fishing this morning from the wife...When taking the boat out I watched my newly cut carpeting float away....haha. I guess liquid nails takes longer to cure...ha! I retrieved the carpet and put it back on...I also caught by PB today! Fishing and boating is always an adventure. Thanks for helping me get back on the water, fellas!
    Thanks!!!

Fitz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast