Pole seats are tight?

New to me18 521L. Are the poles and bases suppose to be this tight? They slide in about a inch then you have to really force them in the rest of the way. Then at the end of the day there is no way to physically pull them out without a pipe wrench. Should I grind either the pole or the base down a little. I cant see hauling around a pipe wrench all the time to twist them out. Gotta be a better way. Do they loosen up over time as they get leaned on?

Shouldn't be THAT tight. I'd use some Emery Cloth on the base and sand them until the pole goes in and out easy. Sand, try, sand, try until it comes out easily.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    They do loosen up over time, but how much time depends upon how much [and how hard] you use them. I use a pole seat about 10% of the time, and after 2 years my pedestals are about as tight as they ever were. A little silicone lubricant helps somewhat; not WD40, as it does nothing. Mine can be turned by hand, but it takes 2 hands.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    Nice to know they do loosen. Thanks

5. Member
    I put a light coating of white lithium grease to make them easier to get in & out

6. Member
    I used light sandpaper on the inside sleeve of the bases on my 2019 520C. They still fit tight, but come out much easier.

be careful with any lubricant. The plastic receiver sleeve will absorb it and swell and you will not get them in/out.
    Did it a few years ago and had to replace the receiver cups.