Thread: 2006 Saber

2006 Saber

I'm considering buying a 2006 Saber with a yamaha 150 vmax. I've never owned a bass at before. What can you tell me as far as pro and con. I have owned a 21 ft stratos for the last 13 years so am a bit skeptical about downsizing.

2. Member
    I have a 02 Sabre with a 150 vmax. 60-64mph tops with a 25m prop. Decent on rough water but not great. Mine has the flipping deck that’s also a box and it’s nice for the extra storage. Plenty of room to fish 2 people out of. I like my Sabre

3. Member
    I bought a 2018 Sabre as my first boat (ever). It's very fun to drive. I've heard it described as a rat in a drain pipe. I chose it over the Margay due to how it caters to the co-angler. I've fished a lot from a buddy's boat, so I had my co-angler in mind when I went with the single console and layout of the Sabre. The Sabre has a tournament layout, much like that of the larger boats. I put 2x Helix 10s on it, so I went with the upgraded electronics over the 175. I've had it at 60, but am still learning to drive.

Only problem I've had so far is with the cranking battery losing charge - it's been tested as good, so I'm not sure if it's my electronics or a bad charge still. Not really an issue with the boat. You'll hear from everyone that Bass Cat's customer service is the best as well. They're a very personal company with a family feel. I'm also told Bass Cats hold their value well.

Happy to answer any questions I can, take pictures, etc.
    2018 Bass Cat Sabre, 150 HP Pro XS, Helix 10s

4. Member
    Gjarn and mrbraq, thank you. Part of my concern is starage of my 7' 8" rod and several 7' 6" rods. Also how well would they fit on the deck. Most of the rough water I'm on is from other boats in the summer (I hate the big cruisers and wake boats) but definitely something I would look at.

5. Member
    I fish mostly by myself but do fish some tournaments with a partner. How is it with 2 on the front deck? I also have heard their customer service is top notch. It would also be fun to fish the owners tournament. I live in North West Arkansas so it wouldn't be to far to go.

6. Member
    I just took pictures of a 7'6 rod on both sides for you that I'll post later. They will go along side the consoles if you have them. They fit under the rod guides in the box. I have had trouble getting some longer rods in some of the slots. Some people just remove it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbraq View Post
    I just took pictures of a 7'6 rod on both sides for you that I'll post later. They will go along side the consoles if you have them. They fit under the rod guides in the box. I have had trouble getting some longer rods in some of the slots. Some people just remove it.
    Thanks, I'd like to see the picture. Don't know if you posted it yet but didn't see it with your comment.

8. Member