Trolling motor interference

So I ordered a new msi+ unit and have moved my helix 9 chirp gps 2d unit to the bow removing my helix 7.

i am now having some severe interference on the bow unit. I have checked the fuse in the head of the ultrex fuse was good but put a new one in it anyways.

the power connection seems good and the tranducer is 3 trips old. The ultrex has the built in transducer which isn’t connected to the unit could this cause a problem?

scambling for ideas to fix the problem.

2. Member
    Are you using the same transducer and power as the Helix 7? I’ve been battling issues like this for months now with little success. The weird thing with mine is the interference only shows up in water deeper then 25ft. I can see the interference in the double view in shallow water but it doesn’t effect the real bottom. It helps if I set the noise filter to 2. You might try connecting your Helix 7 again and see if it has the same interference. It can be a never ending battle, good luck!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

3. Member
    Yes it’s the same everything

4. Member
    My new Helix 10 MSI had a power cable (PC-12, I think) different than the old cable from my Helix 7, plus another connector for the battery charger.

I tried to be lazy and use the old power cables and not install the choke cable at the charger.

Bad mistake. Push the button on the pedal and the screen went black.

Not sure if you have these, but they worked for me.

I just took the whole shebang off the boat I wrecked and move to a new one. No problem.

I'm assuming you all the basics covered. Dedicated power. etc.

Put on the new cables, problem solved.

5. Member
    Yes sir ran now power cables and all will transfer a new power cord the current one does have a choke but can’t hurt to do a new one

6. Member
    I have solved all my trolling motor interference by running a ground wire from the skeg to the negative on my starting battery, this has worked for me on 3 different trolling motors.

7. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    I have solved all my trolling motor interference by running a ground wire from the skeg to the negative on my starting battery, this has worked for me on 3 different trolling motors.
    Just to be clear, you ran the ground wire to your starting battery and not the battery which the trolling motor is connected to... Correct? Also, why does it need to be the skeg... wouldn't a connection to any trolling motor metal part which touches the water work?
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

8. Member
    There is no metal part that comes in contact with the motor housing is what is grounded and yes to the starting battery any ground under the front deck will work, at least for me.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Are you using the same transducer and power as the Helix 7? I’ve been battling issues like this for months now with little success. The weird thing with mine is the interference only shows up in water deeper then 25ft. I can see the interference in the double view in shallow water but it doesn’t effect the real bottom. It helps if I set the noise filter to 2. You might try connecting your Helix 7 again and see if it has the same interference. It can be a never ending battle, good luck!
    Mines doing the same thing only get interference in water deeper than 25ft anthing lower is crystal clear. I gave up and just fish dealing with it

10. Member
    dsgb. That might be a result of crosstalk with a second sonar unit. Maybe turn off all but the one finder and see if the problem stops. If so you need to use your network to stop it. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    I have a trolling motor on my canoe with an ONIX SI transducer mounted to a separate "pole" clamped to the side of the canoe (not trolling motor attached). When I run the trolling motor at full speed, I get absolutely no interference but at any other speed, I get a water column full of "shading". I don't have the luxury of having multiple heavy batteries in a canoe so both my Trolling Motor and ONIX are connected to the same battery.

Any thoughts on whether grounding the trolling motor skeg back to that same battery would have any impact?
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I have a trolling motor on my canoe with an ONIX SI transducer mounted to a separate "pole" clamped to the side of the canoe (not trolling motor attached). When I run the trolling motor at full speed, I get absolutely no interference but at any other speed, I get a water column full of "shading". I don't have the luxury of having multiple heavy batteries in a canoe so both my Trolling Motor and ONIX are connected to the same battery.

Any thoughts on whether grounding the trolling motor skeg back to that same battery would have any impact?
    Your trolling motor must be a variable speed model. The electronics that control the speed is where the RFI comes from (pulsing). That function is bypassed when at the highest speed setting.
    The "antenna" for RFI in your case is the sonar unit power and trolling motor power connection.
    A possible remedy may be the RFI filter that comes with a MEGA trolling motor adapter or a trolling motor MEGA transducer model.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Your trolling motor must be a variable speed model. The electronics that control the speed is where the RFI comes from (pulsing). That function is bypassed when at the highest speed setting.
    The "antenna" for RFI in your case is the sonar unit power and trolling motor power connection.
    A possible remedy may be the RFI filter that comes with a MEGA trolling motor adapter or a trolling motor MEGA transducer model.
    Thanks Wayne. Yes, it is a Minn-Kota Endura Max 55. It has the infinite variable speed with a battery optimizer. Is the RFI filter for the MEGA Trolling Motor adapter something that can be purchased separately?

I really don't like the idea of having the trolling mounted transducer since SI is the main purpose for having it in my canoe. I want the SI to be fixed rather than turn with the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Thanks Wayne. Yes, it is a Minn-Kota Endura Max 55. It has the infinite variable speed with a battery optimizer. Is the RFI filter for the MEGA Trolling Motor adapter something that can be purchased separately?

I really don't like the idea of having the trolling mounted transducer since SI is the main purpose for having it in my canoe. I want the SI to be fixed rather than turn with the motor.
    Yes, I think it can be purchased separately. Got another suggestion---PM sent.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL