Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Anyone ever invited bank a fisherman to join you?

Over the years, on occasion, I’ve picked up quite a bunch of people. Some I’m glad I did, some I regretted it. Have any of you ever invited a bank fisherman to get in and join you? If so, What was your experience?

2. Member
    Would never feel comfortable inviting a stranger on my boat. Hell I got family I wouldnt ask. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by scott c View Post
    Would never feel comfortable inviting a stranger on my boat. Hell I got family I wouldnt ask. Lol.
    Couldn't have said it any better!!

4. Member
    I’ve done this exactly once. Kept seeing this older guy fishing this bank line. I always made sure to stop fishing, trolling motor around his casting zone and in the process chat him up. He was always very thankful to not fish the water in front of him and explained how he had to sell his boat to make ends meet. One day he said his wife passed over the winter and fishing was his only way to clear his mind. I asked him if he would like to come aboard and fish. He politely declined but I insisted. He agreed to come aboard. The fishing was in fire that day but they were deeper than the bank guys could reach. I proceeded to put him on a ton of big bass as well as a bunch on crappie that I cleaned and gave him at the end. He thanked me, tried to give me money for fuel, which I declined, gave me a big hug and with tears in his eyes, said it was the nicest thing anyone had done for him in a very long time. Saw him only one other time on the lake after that and he didn’t look well. Makes me both happy and sad thinking back on it. Glad I was able to touch that mans life at a time when it seemed he needed it the most.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

I’ve had great and experiences and bad. I’ve had people that I’m glad I did, like picking up a father and son who ended having a blast. Then I’ve had experiences like picking up a guy who burned a hole in my carpet after I told him he couldn’t smoke in my boat. It’s getting to the point where in this day and time that I’m afraid to, due to liability concerns if something happened.

6. Member
    Once, in the 1990's I used to fish alone a lot. I had a tin Terry bass boat (think bass tracker). One day I was getting setup at the ramp as an older guy was carrying a lawn chair to bank fish by the ramp. I didn't pay any attention to him until he came over asking if I needed any help in launching the boat. I didn't but we talked a couple minutes and I decided to ask him if he wanted to fish with me.

He was a great guy and he kicked my butt as he threw live night crawlers. We actually fished together two other times. He thanked me every time and offered me gas money which I would never accept. So it was a great experience.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

Only if I know them. I’ve always been able to handle myself, but crap happens.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

I have a couple of times. But i knew them, they were non boaters from the club i am in that i just happen to bump into. One of them even had his dog with him. . I would be really hesitant to pick up a total stranger and let them in the boat. Where i fish is so vast and empty, my body would probably never be found.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scott c View Post
    Why?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    I’ve done this exactly once. Kept seeing this older guy fishing this bank line. I always made sure to stop fishing, trolling motor around his casting zone and in the process chat him up. He was always very thankful to not fish the water in front of him and explained how he had to sell his boat to make ends meet. One day he said his wife passed over the winter and fishing was his only way to clear his mind. I asked him if he would like to come aboard and fish. He politely declined but I insisted. He agreed to come aboard. The fishing was in fire that day but they were deeper than the bank guys could reach. I proceeded to put him on a ton of big bass as well as a bunch on crappie that I cleaned and gave him at the end. He thanked me, tried to give me money for fuel, which I declined, gave me a big hug and with tears in his eyes, said it was the nicest thing anyone had done for him in a very long time. Saw him only one other time on the lake after that and he didn’t look well. Makes me both happy and sad thinking back on it. Glad I was able to touch that mans life at a time when it seemed he needed it the most.
    You are a Good Samaritan sir 😇
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    That's awesome man!

12. Member
    Twice and would do it again. I remember when I had no boat and wished I could fish away from the bank.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

13. Member
    My buddy did after he accidentally hooked the guys black lab! The property owner was outside with his dog just about dark. The dog jumped in the edge of the water and grabbed my buddies bait. Dog owner was pretty cool about it, said it had happened before. My buddy was fishing alone and asked the guy if he wanted to fish with him a while.

14. Member
    I picked up a guy once. It was a great time and he became a good fishing buddy.

15. Member
    Years ago fishing the river I grew up on. Gentlemen fishing from bank. We conversed and realized we were best friends in High School. I ask him to join me and we caught up on about 30 years. What a great day.

16. Member
    Took a little girl about 5 years old for a boat ride last summer with her mom. They were launching the same time as I was and this girl walked out on the dock by me and said “I really like your boat, especially the sparkles and the computers you have on it” Both her Mom and I couldn’t stop laughing, cutest thing I’ve heard in a while. I offered them a ride around the lake and dropped them back off with the family...not sure who enjoyed it more, best memory I made on the lake last year. Kids are so honest, she really liked the computers
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

I have a few times.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Couple of years back I was fishing solo. Launched just before daybreak and tied to dock as I parked truck. Other boats were launching as well as there were several ramps and docks. I sit down in my boat, start untying and a guy walks up, steps in my boat, puts his rods and gear on passenger side and looks over to ask me "where are we starting at"....I told him wherever looked good....it was then he had this enbarrassed look on his face. He had stepped into the wrong boat. His buddy idled up laughing his butt off...lol

Heck I would have happily taken him fishing that day.

19. Member
    Few of the cooling lakes I fish have a ton of really, really aggressive catfish - I usually keep a few 10lbrs or so and give em away at the dock. Most of the people I see fishing the shore I would say are not equipped to fish out of a boat where I go, I have seen rods thicker than power poles for 12" catfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Couple of years back I was fishing solo. Launched just before daybreak and tied to dock as I parked truck. Other boats were launching as well as there were several ramps and docks. I sit down in my boat, start untying and a guy walks up, steps in my boat, puts his rods and gear on passenger side and looks over to ask me "where are we starting at"....I told him wherever looked good....it was then he had this enbarrassed look on his face. He had stepped into the wrong boat. His buddy idled up laughing his butt off...lol

Heck I would have happily taken him fishing that day.
    About a year ago my wife was at the grocery store in the Yukon and a guy jumped in the passenger side and looked forward, then looked at her and turned blood red. He looked to the right and his buddy was dying laughing at him. We had two identical black Yukon’s. He apologized and got out.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast