Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have invited several strangers, some have accepted. If I see someone with decent equipment, or at least not fishing with live bait, I may ask them.
    No negative issues yet.

I would and have. Couple of my more fun days were with someone that hopped in the boat at the ramp. Never too high headed or conceited to think otherwise. Some of you guys need to step back and reevaluate yourselves.

3. Member
    In the 70s all I had was a 16' Jon with a 9.5 HP. Fishing Table Rock. I was lucky enough to get an offer to go out in a real boat and never looked back. I do still have that Jon boat, only now it's a jet setup for stream fishing.

I have asked a few and they haven't taken me up on it. Must look scary.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Done it twice, twice at Pohick ramp (Potomac), both were Young military guys, Fishing off the dock, one asked if I needed company, the other I asked if He wanted to go out. Great experience on both accounts. Grew up a Mil brat. In fact lived on Belvior just above the pillions between Gunston and Dogue creek. Had trust in that they were Military. We had a blast, and I denied them giving gas money. It was my pleasure to take them out.

That is how I got my main fishing buddy. I saw him a lot at the ramp and asked him one day. Now we fish together all the time. He is the only friend that I have that is allowed to fish regularly. The wives and girlfriends have laid down the law. Sad but true. He is single. The bad news is he has been working out of town. I asked two friends to fish this weekend. I fished Saturday and Sunday alone.

7. Member
    I've done it a few times. Never picked up anybody that wasn't really appreciative and grateful. I'll do it again if the opportunity presents itself.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubee View Post
    Why?
    Why? Well in a less lawsuit happy time like years ago I could see it but in this day and time I'm afraid it's not a wise thing to do and I hate that it is that way. There have been many times that I've trolled respectively around guys on the bank fishing. I see them eying my boat and I remember the days when I was the bank fisherman and a boat was a luxury that I couldn't afford. I have been tempted many times to ask if they want to join me. Consider this --- you pick a good guy up and you hit a wave wrong and he messes his back up. Your good guy now sues you. Or how about you pick up a guy that looks nice but he has mental illness and freaks out on you in the middle of the lake, or that clean cut looking guy's full time job is being a criminal and he is taking time off from work, from his job and now he has this opportunity way out in the middle of the lake to rob you or worse. I really hate that our society is what it is but as they say, it is what it is. I won't be picking up strangers from the bank for all these reasons. Maybe some of you should consider these reasons. If you decide the risks are worth it then more power to you. I know that a lot of people would just love to spend some time in our boats enjoying nature. Sad but a few bad apples ruin it for all the decent people.

Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    Why? Well in a less lawsuit happy time like years ago I could see it but in this day and time I'm afraid it's not a wise thing to do and I hate that it is that way. There have been many times that I've trolled respectively around guys on the bank fishing. I see them eying my boat and I remember the days when I was the bank fisherman and a boat was a luxury that I couldn't afford. I have been tempted many times to ask if they want to join me. Consider this --- you pick a good guy up and you hit a wave wrong and he messes his back up. Your good guy now sues you. Or how about you pick up a guy that looks nice but he has mental illness and freaks out on you in the middle of the lake, or that clean cut looking guy's full time job is being a criminal and he is taking time off from work, from his job and now he has this opportunity way out in the middle of the lake to rob you or worse. I really hate that our society is what it is but as they say, it is what it is. I won't be picking up strangers from the bank for all these reasons. Maybe some of you should consider these reasons. If you decide the risks are worth it then more power to you. I know that a lot of people would just love to spend some time in our boats enjoying nature. Sad but a few bad apples ruin it for all the decent people.

I will not and refuse to live my life worrying about the boogie man in the details of every move I make. I am blessed enough to be able to own a boat and fish and I have ZERO issue giving someone that may not have the means or finances a chance to get out on the water with me. If I operate the boat safely, ensure they have the right PFD on and we are just fishing I bet 99.9% of the time we both will have a great day, make new friends and have fun.

I have insurance for a reason. I also think you can get a decent read on most people when you encounter them and can make a logical choice. Plus it takes 5 seconds to text or call someone you know and let them know you are taking someone out and what time you are expected back as well as where you launched. Heck you can probably snap a quick pix of them and their vehicle too if use discretion.

10. Banned
    I haven't, and I won't. Not only do I prefer to fish alone, I don't need to be held responsible for some rando I chose to invite fishing.

Very, very similar story to Idaho Sandman. I've done it once.

In my case, it was an older gentleman who I'd met a couple times while ice fishing a certain bay on Lake Minnetonka. He was always very friendly and was happy to talk with whoever about whatever. Between talking with him and hearing him talk with other folks (he was hard of hearing so between him compensating for that and how well sound travels across the ice, you could often hear him), I learned that he was a war vet who lived nearby with his wife of over 50 years and that he had recently lost his wife. His kids were grown and did not visit, so the remaining thing he did that he looked forward to was going fishing.

After the water opened up, I was traveling through a channel into that bay in my boat crappie fishing. Guys often crappie fish that channel in the spring, and sure enough that gentleman was there. I stopped and talked with him for a moment, asked how he was doing, and naturally he wanted to talk about how the fish were biting. He hadn't had much luck, but was sure there was a big group of crappie across the bay where some seagulls were diving. I asked him if he wanted to go catch them, he refused until I insisted, then we went out and caught those damn crappies. We filleted them up before dark and he was ecstatic about the fish fry he was going to have. He thanked me with tears in his eyes when I dropped him off and I felt 10 feet tall. Simply awesome. Like an idiot I didn't get any contact info for him, and I've not seen him since. I fear his days may have passed and, combined with the fact that I never got to take him fishing again I feel some regret. If that's the case, that that he's able to be with his wife again helps a lot.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. Member
    I've been on the receiving end of peoples largess. I was fishing a small lake one time and didn't feel like dragging my boat, so just grabbed a few rods and was bank fishing. A guy pulled up and asked me if I wanted to fish with him. I accepted the invitation and we had a really great day on the water. Nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I will not and refuse to live my life worrying about the boogie man in the details of every move I make. I am blessed enough to be able to own a boat and fish and I have ZERO issue giving someone that may not have the means or finances a chance to get out on the water with me. If I operate the boat safely, ensure they have the right PFD on and we are just fishing I bet 99.9% of the time we both will have a great day, make new friends and have fun.

I have insurance for a reason. I also think you can get a decent read on most people when you encounter them and can make a logical choice. Plus it takes 5 seconds to text or call someone you know and let them know you are taking someone out and what time you are expected back as well as where you launched. Heck you can probably snap a quick pix of them and their vehicle too if use discretion.

14. Banned
    Not the exact same but I did the club tournament thing one year and hated it. Guys ashing out Butts on the boat, skipping baits off my outboard, crying about the crappy bite. I now fish solo 75% of the time. Couldn't be happier...

15. Bobby8
    Friend of mine was fishing from the dock by the ramp in the pre-cell phone days. Guy in a Tracker asks him to join him which he did. Fishing near the bank the guy sees and grabs a rattlesnake. Buddy freaks out then comes unglued as he watches the rattle snake bite him on the forearm. Buddy asks to to take him to the dock but guy says no and continues to fish. Guy slowly looses consciousness. Buddy gets him to the ramp. Goes to guys truck and finds a suicide note on the dash...Cops show up and he learns this isn't the first time the guy has tried to kill himself. One of the craziest fishing stories I have heard.

16. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Took a little girl about 5 years old for a boat ride last summer with her mom. They were launching the same time as I was and this girl walked out on the dock by me and said “I really like your boat, especially the sparkles and the computers you have on it” Both her Mom and I couldn’t stop laughing, cutest thing I’ve heard in a while. I offered them a ride around the lake and dropped them back off with the family...not sure who enjoyed it more, best memory I made on the lake last year. Kids are so honest, she really liked the computers
    Any pics of the mom? Sometimes you wanna hit a few waves and get a little bounce going
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby8 View Post
    Friend of mine was fishing from the dock by the ramp in the pre-cell phone days. Guy in a Tracker asks him to join him which he did. Fishing near the bank the guy sees and grabs a rattlesnake. Buddy freaks out then comes unglued as he watches the rattle snake bite him on the forearm. Buddy asks to to take him to the dock but guy says no and continues to fish. Guy slowly looses consciousness. Buddy gets him to the ramp. Goes to guys truck and finds a suicide note on the dash...Cops show up and he learns this isn't the first time the guy has tried to kill himself. One of the craziest fishing stories I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby8 View Post
    Thats crazy!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by icemanrrc View Post
    Over the years, on occasion, I’ve picked up quite a bunch of people. Some I’m glad I did, some I regretted it. Have any of you ever invited a bank fisherman to get in and join you? If so, What was your experience?
    It would be a great idea if we didn't live in a society like today being very litigious, so one could be asking for a pile of trouble. Many times, I share some of my plastics and other surplus tackle instead of offering to joy me.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post

I agree. Until i got on these forums. I never new how many people are afraid of their own shadow. I couldn't imagine going through life not doing things because you are worried about getting sued. And all the other things people think might happen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast