Vibrating jig head

Was wondering if anyone has made vibrating jigs using a banana head jig? My searches in this forum have found most prefer the sparkie jig or poison tail. I have made them using arkie and poison tail jigs with limited success. What's the best hook angle? 30 or 60 degree?

I plead the 5th.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    I like the Trokar Swim Jig head.

4. Member
    Thanks. I'll look into that one. I was trying different molds that I have. I've tried making them with the flat eye arkie jig. Using a split ring to attach the blade. The baits run high in the water even breaking the surface at what I consider a medium retrieve. The ones I've made with the poison tail jig don't seem to work well. Was just curious if anyone has tried the banana head jig. In all my searches I never saw that one mentioned.

Baits rising have more to do with the blade size, location of pull point, amount of drag on the bait, weight, relationship... More drag on the bait makes the blade lean forward and rise... The exact opposite of a crabnkbait lip. If the blade is 90* vertical it don't lift much. Less drag or lower pull point allows blade to lay back some and actually dive.

Hydrodynamics of the blade create most of the lifting issue... The head design has almost nothing to do with this.
    Last edited by 21XDC; 02-24-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Have you tried putting a slight bend in the blade?

7. Member
    I do put a bend in the blade. 21XDC are you saying that a jig using a hook with a 30 degree bend should have less drag than a jig using a hook with a 60 degree bend? I'm using the jig dancers blades. Are these to big for a 3/8 ounce bait?

I prefer a 28-30* hook because I fish a lot of weeds and they can be more effective for me. The angle of the hook leg has no bearing on my last post. I dont use those blades on smaller heads. I think they are a little big for 3/8. I use them on 1oz bladed jigs.

9. Member
    I’ve made bladed jigs out of a lot of different heads, round, football, Arky, banana and more and they all work. I’ve used the same blade size for 5/16 to 3/4 and they all work great, some better than others. As far as what Mike is saying about the point of attachment the blades don’t give you much option for that unless you are making your own. I’ve got 5 different blades of the same size that I use and the point of attachment is the same on all 5. When I first started making bladed jigs I couldn’t find just the blades so I bought a big piece of stainless and cut my own. Bought a bait and copied the blade, (my stainless was lighter) and the only thing I found I could do different was the bend at the top. And I did this by accident. If the blade wasn’t bent pretty much exactly the same from one side to the other it would run a little to one side or the other which wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. As far as 30 degree vs 60 I can’t tell any difference but we don’t have grass in our lakes in southwest Missouri except for Bull Shoals and that’s only because they flood it every year. I love building and fishing the bladed jigs.

Last year i was using football heads quite a bit...caught some toads in dirty water

Quote Originally Posted by D.Moore View Post
    . As far as what Mike is saying about the point of attachment the blades don’t give you much option for that unless you are making your own. I’ve got 5 different blades of the same size that I use and the point of attachment is the same on all 5.
    Well... I have a few types as well. I don't make my own. They are not all the same.

12. Member
    So blade size or design might be the problem. Not jig head type. The only blades I've used are the jig dancer from Lure Parts Online or the shakee blades from Barlows. Which are the same shape. Seems like that style is what most suppliers have. If there's other types would I don't know where to get them.

13. Banned
    Give these a try... I use Arky style jigs and carefully, slowly open the eye of the hook with an ice pick and hammer. I then attach the blade directly to the eye like the original Chatterbait. Then take a pliers and squeeze the eye shut. You'll break a few eyes if you get in a hurry... But it worth the frustration... Dan

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Phen...page-PVB3.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Give these a try... I use Arky style jigs and carefully, slowly open the eye of the hook with an ice pick and hammer. I then attach the blade directly to the eye like the original Chatterbait. Then take a pliers and squeeze the eye shut. You'll break a few eyes if you get in a hurry... But it worth the frustration... Dan

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Phen...page-PVB3.html
    Dan: I tried the hammer and ice pick methods and broke at least 1 out of every 3 hook eyes. Then, I tired a different method. I opened up my table vise on my work bench, put a small punch against the hook eye, put the hook against a piece of wood. Then, I used the pressure of closing the vise on the punch to slowly open the hook eye. Using this method, I haven't broken a single hook eye.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Dan: I tried the hammer and ice pick methods and broke at least 1 out of every 3 hook eyes. Then, I tired a different method. I opened up my table vise on my work bench, put a small punch against the hook eye, put the hook against a piece of wood. Then, I used the pressure of closing the vise on the punch to slowly open the hook eye. Using this method, I haven't broken a single hook eye.
    Dang, I love this place... Thanks Jeff, I'll give that a try when I make my next batch... Dan

16. Member
    Good thread.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basswhippa View Post
    Good thread.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing last night, good info. Jeff and Mike have posted several good tips on previous posts regarding these baits.