Gen 2 Torquemaster replacement for a Gen 1?

Hello all,
    I had the lower unit on my 2011 Mercury 250 ProXS w/ TorqueMaster G/C on my 2004 BassCat Cougar FTD go out recently while running across my home lake.

My local shop offered me either a Gen2 Torquemaster with ~5hrs or a standard SEI gearcase as a replacement. After doing some research here, I saw that the standard gearcase wouldn't be a good option. So, I had them put the TM2 on. When I got to the lake this afternoon for a test drive, the prop was blowing out as I was getting on plane. Once on plane, I didn't push it anything past 4500rpm just to get at least a few mins of fishing in (it's been a while). After fishing some and idling back to the marina, I did some more digging on the forums. I saw some older posts from SAVAGE and Don regarding the upgrade from a Gen1 to Gen2 not being a good idea.

What are the specifics on why this isn't a feasible upgrade? Also, could you guys give me some advice on where to go next with this? If there is an easy setup fix, I'd be open to trying that first. Fortunately and in some ways unfortunately, I didn't hit anything when my previous case went out. So, I don't think insurance is an option for a direct TM1 replacement. Also, I'm looking to get back on the water as soon as possible in a recreational capacity (no tournaments / no full throttle running / etc). So, anything that is a quick fix would be much appreciated (one can hope. right?).

Thanks. j.

serial # - 1B885889
    year/make/model - 2004 BassCat Cougar FTD
    prop - Mercury Fury 26p

I have run the TM2 and it was a great case. It cannot be run on a motor designed for TM1. Here is a quote from Don: “Just a reminder regarding the Gen-2 Torquemaster: Gen-2 TM gearcases should not be installed on earlier engines, OR engines originally equipped with the Gen-1 Gearcase.

See reply #13 in this thread. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=23727

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Sent you a PM

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I have run the TM2 and it was a great case. It cannot be run on a motor designed for TM1. Here is a quote from Don: “Just a reminder regarding the Gen-2 Torquemaster: Gen-2 TM gearcases should not be installed on earlier engines, OR engines originally equipped with the Gen-1 Gearcase.

See reply #13 in this thread. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=23727

+100

DO NOT retrofit a Gen-2 TM to an engine built with a Gen-1 TM. Doing so is DANGEROUS, enough so that when you order a Gen-2 TM gearcase, it comes with a Warning Tag for this very reason.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks Don,
    I'm getting it taken off this week. Out of curiosity, what is the danger? I would assume something with the hydrodynamics, but wondering if it is something specific that you know about. I appreciate the quick responses from everyone. Hopefully, I'll be back on the water soon. I don't want this to bleed over into prime fishing season.

6. Member
    I believe it has to do with the trim. If you hit something with the gen2 on a motor designed for the gen1, the motor will come up into the boat. At least that’s what I remember being told when I asked the same questions cause insurance was trying to put a gen2 gearcase on my 250 pro xs that came with a gen1 torquemadter

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I believe the below warning label does a pretty good job of explaining it:

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    That makes total sense to me.
    Thanks for the info. I'm taking it in tomorrow to get the gen2 taken off. I'll be sure to pass this info along.

9. Member
    Don't install the SEI in the place of a Gen 1 either ......the Gen 1 is more $$$$ and better built ?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Don't install the SEI in the place of a Gen 1 either ......the Gen 1 is more $$$$ and better built ?
    Boy is that an understatement!

11. Member
    New here guys. Anybody know anyone selling a gen 1 torquemaster with a 20” shaft? Glad to be a member!!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippinfreak16 View Post
    New here guys. Anybody know anyone selling a gen 1 torquemaster with a 20” shaft? Glad to be a member!!!
    Check the swap and sell boards.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Or if you want a new one, see Rhonda's post (pinned at the top of the Forum), and drop her an email.

14. Member
    I'm looking for information on the reverse:

Can you run a Gen 1 TM on a newer motor that came with a Gen 2?
    1996 Checkmate Pulsare 2100 Closed Deck / 2018 Merc 250 Pro XS

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TraceF3 View Post
    I'm looking for information on the reverse:

Can you run a Gen 1 TM on a newer motor that came with a Gen 2?
    Yes, though there is a slight difference in the shift shaft position.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Yes, though there is a slight difference in the shift shaft position.
    The reason I ask is that the "good used" TM1 is easier to find and half the price of a TM2. Is the shift shaft difference a big issue?
    1996 Checkmate Pulsare 2100 Closed Deck / 2018 Merc 250 Pro XS

17. Member
    I know of several guys that are running TM2’s on their ProXS motors. Running them on bullet bass boats. They say they are not quite as fast as the TM1. Just putting this into the conversation.

18. Member
    hmmmmm interesting
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullred View Post
    I know of several guys that are running TM2’s on their ProXS motors. Running them on bullet bass boats. They say they are not quite as fast as the TM1. Just putting this into the conversation.
    Depending on the boat model, setup particulars, and which engine generation it is, I can see the possibility.