Thread: Solix vs Helix

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Last time I had a discussion with the skeeter rep in Tx. Skeeter is now running 2 home-run connections
    to the cranking battery from the Helm and Bow. For those experiencing problems, they suggest running
    2 batteries in series on the crank side. I thought this to be odd considering you are still adding another
    battery. So take that info at face value, they are still fighting the consistent power problem.

My answer would be a 36v Lithium for TM, 1-lithium for electronics (min-100ah) and a group 31 agm for cranking.
    so the 4 battery system could stay in place. But this requires a dual charging system that can charge lithium and AGM.
    And just maybe a movement to get Merc and Yamaha to change their charging systems to accommodate lithium.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    899 and 999 are less than an amp each Solix 4.5 amps. 7 amps draw total. 8 hour day = 56 amp hrs. Get a good quality(200 RC) AGM. Minimum 100 AH. It should be enough. Lower screen brightness on the Solix, put what you are not using in standby and you should be ok. It is the multiple big screens that require a separate house battery. JMO Bob
    thanks for the math! Hoping this will work out! Any idea how much a standard 360 draws? would be thinking of hooking one up to the 999
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    thanks for the math! Hoping this will work out! Any idea how much a standard 360 draws? would be thinking of hooking one up to the 999
    Both the 360 and MEGA 360 take a 1A fuse so its amp load is .5A or less.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Getting boat built now. When you say dual charging system, does it require two chargers, or are there chargers that can handle 4 lithiums and an AGM? Figured I'd have to charge the house battery "manually" with a non-on-board charger, and charge the agm and 36v off the on-board charger. Is there a way around that? Currently have a Power Pole Charge in the build sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    Last time I had a discussion with the skeeter rep in Tx. Skeeter is now running 2 home-run connections
    to the cranking battery from the Helm and Bow. For those experiencing problems, they suggest running
    2 batteries in series on the crank side. I thought this to be odd considering you are still adding another
    battery. So take that info at face value, they are still fighting the consistent power problem.

My answer would be a 36v Lithium for TM, 1-lithium for electronics (min-100ah) and a group 31 agm for cranking.
    so the 4 battery system could stay in place. But this requires a dual charging system that can charge lithium and AGM.
    And just maybe a movement to get Merc and Yamaha to change their charging systems to accommodate lithium.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    Getting boat built now. When you say dual charging system, does it require two chargers, or are there chargers that can handle 4 lithiums and an AGM? Figured I'd have to charge the house battery "manually" with a non-on-board charger, and charge the agm and 36v off the on-board charger. Is there a way around that? Currently have a Power Pole Charge in the build sheet.
    No. One four bank charger for five batteries.
    setup.jpg
    Agm.jpg

6. Member
    Gotcha, am I correct in thinking the cranking is two agm's in parallel?
    Here's another question. I don't think this is possible, but wanted to check. If I had 3 Lithium trollers, one lithium house (electronics only) and one AGM for cranking/livewells/pumps (have to for warranty purposes on the Merc), is there any way to get by with one charger? I've not seen a 5 bank, but there may be one out there. Should be with the way these electronics eat up batteries.
    I'm guessing I'll need to run the 4 banks for the lithiums and add a separate charger for the cranking agm? Or is there a way around having two chargers? If a second charger is necessary, I'd imagine I'd just have the charge for the cranking and house. Trollers would be fine (100 ah).

All this would be really simple if Merc/Yamaha would allow a lithium cranking battery, but they don't so I'm trying to find a way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcqtr View Post
    No. One four bank charger for five batteries.
    setup.jpg
    Agm.jpg

7. Member
    Toho,
    You are correct in your thinking, you have to have an answer to the available space in the bilge.
    If you have the room you can make it work. My skeeter hasn't got the room for 5 batteries unless
    I get in there and do some modifications. Unfortunately skeeter doesn't like that and warranty could
    be effected. In the near future I hope the options change. There are some single 36v lithium batteries.
    If you can get one of those installed on the TM, and 2 AGM in series then you have it made. Then your
    next worry is the charging. The Minn Kotta PC460 that is mounted in my bilge will charge lithium so long
    as you have it set to AGM for that port. The charging problem is the lithium battery storage status and
    what is called the float voltage for the charger and battery to shut off and on to maintain a stored boat and battery.
    That is the next concern chargers, Lithium batteries are different animals. Cold below 32 degrees can keep
    a lithium with a battery management system from charging.

From the Aegis web site. This is a single 36v 100 ah - 19x10x9 (LWH)

• 36V 100Ah Li-ion LFP Battery, 3600 Watt Hour, 100A Discharge, Accepts up to 20A Charger
    • BMS Standard, Over-current + Over-voltage protection, Short-Circuit Protection, Reverse Polarity Protection
    • Regulated Input and Output, Automatic Full-Charge Cut-off, Temperature Sensor Protected
    • So you can see the problem or problems created space, size, Amp Hours and charging.
    • Research required! Good Luck!
    Last edited by OK_BassBum; 10-22-2020 at 03:51 PM.

8. Member
    I am a fishing guide and also fish some tournaments (even at night} and I run 4 Solix 12's and M360 off my Cranking battery. Sometimes I'm on the water 10 to 12 hours (normally just 8 hours).My units are wired to the battery with 8 ga. wire. My battery is a lithium ReLion HP100. Until i ran the 8 ga. wiring, I did have some problems and bigger wiring solved it. This might not work for you but it has been working for me for about 4 years and I've got new units now and it's still working just fine. I was prepared to add a battery if necessary but it works fine with the single cranking battery. Even fishing at night with all 4 units plus M360 running continuously, in addition to running lights, live wells, Rigid lights, and 4 black lights, I have not had a problem yet.

9. Member
    I don’t think it’s been mentioned that helix has adjustable split screens and the solix does not. If you plan to run a 360 on split screen the solix leaves me disappointed by not being able to make the 360 view 3/4 of the screen.

10. Member
    Recommend looking at the IONIC 125ah battery. I am running Solix 12, Solix 10, Heix 12, Garmin GPSMAP 1022, HB 360 and LVS 32 livescope and starting Mercury 250 proxs. I do put Solix in standby at console when on deck fishing. 8hr + Fishing I have had no issues.

11. Member
    How have you found the performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg316 View Post
    I don’t think it’s been mentioned that helix has adjustable split screens and the solix does not. If you plan to run a 360 on split screen the solix leaves me disappointed by not being able to make the 360 view 3/4 of the screen.
    I do like that capability -- but don't like that I can't do a 3 view on the Helix with M360, chart and 2D or DI -- So I'm looking at a Solix as I don't want to add a second screen on the bow.

899 and 999 are less than an amp each Solix 4.5 amps. 7 amps draw total. 8 hour day = 56 amp hrs. Get a good quality(200 RC) AGM. Minimum 100 AH. It should be enough. Lower screen brightness on the Solix, put what you are not using in standby and you should be ok. It is the multiple big screens that require a separate house battery. JMO Bob
    bobcoy...I was looking up Solix specs on the Humminbird website and they had the solix 12 @ 2.88 amps and helix 12 @ 1.78 amps ..how did you get the 4.5 amps? I decided to switch my setup and go with a helix 12 at bow, helix 12 at console, standard 360 at bow and 5 port ethernet so try and lower battery requirements.

14. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    bobcoy...I was looking up Solix specs on the Humminbird website and they had the solix 12 @ 2.88 amps and helix 12 @ 1.78 amps ..how did you get the 4.5 amps? I decided to switch my setup and go with a helix 12 at bow, helix 12 at console, standard 360 at bow and 5 port ethernet so try and lower battery requirements.
    The Solix Amp draw is dependent on the Generation you are looking at. Humminbird upped the processing power (dual core processor) on the Solix G3 but lowered the Amp usage... The original Solix and G2 Solix use more power.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    The Solix Amp draw is dependent on the Generation you are looking at. Humminbird upped the processing power (dual core processor) on the Solix G3 but lowered the Amp usage... The original Solix and G2 Solix use more power.
    go it. so the Solix gen 1 was likely the 4.5 amps he was referencing. Thanks!

The Solix 15 G2 had a 4.5a max rating. It's been lowered with Gen 3.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

17. Member
    That was a long journey to let me know I made a mistake! After re reading the thread I saw my error. As pointed out I must have grabbed the 15's specs. Thanks Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

That was a long journey to let me know I made a mistake! After re reading the thread I saw my error. As pointed out I must have grabbed the 15's specs. Thanks Bob
    haha I just appreciate your input and wanted to make sure I didn't overthink something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12