Thread: Solix vs Helix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solix vs Helix

I’m in the process of deciding between the two and have done some research. I’m curious why I see more pros with the helix units rather than the solix units. ??? I know they get the choice of the “best or the best”. Wonder why this is the case??

anyway I’m leaning toward the solix but this is without on the water experience. Only spending hours in Cabela’s and BP playing with both units. Solix is very easy to use and I love touch screen but again this is just using a demo in a store. I would love to hear about your on the water experiences before I make a big purchase. thanks guys for help

Some want the lower power requirements of the Helix and simpler menus.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I have 2 Solix’s

Helix draws less power and takes less effort to provide that power
    Solix is a power hungry monster and requires bigger and sometimes extra batteries to power them
    A lot of that is due to the touch screen

If you have run Humminbird units in the past Helix will have no learning curve
    Solix has an entirely different operating/menu system and has a big learning curve compared to Helix

Solix can share maps as well as waypoints (Helix only shares waypoints)
    for the money you save buying the helix you can afford the extra map card

Heading Sensor:
    Solix will share the Heading sensor to multiple units while using different GPS sources
    Helix requires you to use heading and GPS from same source/antenna
    If you want heading on both helix units you will need 2 heading sensors/GPS antennas or force both units to use the same GPS antenna (not a what you want)

Imaging:
    Solix does have a better image (about 10% better) but for most people it’s not worth all the extra effort the Solix requires

If you’re like me and are willing to go the extra mile the Solix demands from you and want that extra 10% then go for it you will be happy with the end results

But if your like many people and prefer a unit that’s closer to plug n play and easy to use buy the helix and save yourself the extra effort and some money as well
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    I have 2 Solix’s

Solix is a power hungry monster and requires bigger and sometimes extra batteries to power them

Solix has an entirely different operating/menu system and has a big learning curve compared to Helix

Heading Sensor:
    Solix will share the Heading sensor to multiple units while using different GPS sources
    If you want heading on both helix units you will need 2 heading sensors/GPS antennas or force both units to use the same GPS antenna (not a what you want)

Imaging:
    Solix does have a better image (about 10% better) but for most people it’s not worth all the extra effort the Solix requires

If you’re like me and are willing to go the extra mile the Solix demands from you and want that extra 10% then go for it you will be happy with the end results

But if your like many people and prefer a unit that’s closer to plug n play and easy to use buy the helix and save yourself the extra effort and some money as well
    man, thanks for the info! That was great!

I have 2 Solix’s

Heading Sensor:

Imaging:

That's good info. What's your battery setup?

6. Member
    Roy, Solix is a power hungry monster and requires bigger and sometimes extra batteries to power them
    How did you determine that? Very interesting if true. If you used a meter to monitor the amp draw(with the touch screen turned off) how much less was the draw? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Crabnbass,

I run 5 batteries

The fifth battery (110Ah lithium) runs the Solix units

I have a Garmin unit I run off the cranking battery

I can fish an 8 hour tournament without any power issues
    since this battery doesn’t get charged during the day I manage my power by putting the bow unit in standby or off any time I make a run
    I do have an extra power lead/plug for the console unit that draws from the cranking battery just in case – I’ve only used it once just to test something

I have a standalone 1 bank MK charger for this battery

Bob,

I’ve never tried turning off the touch feature (I use it more than the buttons) so I couldn’t say if it makes a difference

I may try that this season on the console unit just to see if there is a difference
    "The handicapped angler"

Crabnbass,

I run 5 batteries

The fifth battery (110Ah lithium) runs the Solix units

I have a Garmin unit I run off the cranking battery

I can fish an 8 hour tournament without any power issues
    since this battery doesn’t get charged during the day I manage my power by putting the bow unit in standby or off any time I make a run
    I do have an extra power lead/plug for the console unit that draws from the cranking battery just in case – I’ve only used it once just to test something

I have a standalone 1 bank MK charger for this battery

Bob,

I’ve never tried turning off the touch feature (I use it more than the buttons) so I couldn’t say if it makes a difference

I may try that this season on the console unit just to see if there is a difference
    Interesting, thanks. Curious what size units you are running with this setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Crabnbass View Post
    Interesting, thanks. Curious what size units you are running with this setup?
    I Have a 12" on the bow and a 10" on the console
    "The handicapped angler"

I Have a 12" on the bow and a 10" on the console
    Perfect, that's actually the setup I am planning on switching out to.

11. Member
    I don’t want to run 5 batteries ( I have enough weight in the boat, small tackle shop). So your telling me to go with the helix 12’s? I have played around with both and I love the solix handling, it’s just not worth the extra battery headache?? Thoughts?? Thanks guys

Well there are people here that say they can run 2 Solix’s off the cranking battery

I’m just not one of them

There will be plenty of folks here that will have suggestions on how you can do that

I tried a bunch of them

I found for my situation and needs that a 5 battery system was the answer

Understand I’m running a Garmin as well and between that the pumps and lights I just couldn’t provide the power the Solix demands

So its possible that if you run just the 2 Solix’s and don’t use the pumps and lights like I do you could be just fine
    Last edited by MichAngler; 02-23-2020 at 01:04 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

13. Member
    I run a Solix 15 / Solix 12 / Garmin 7610XSV w/Panoptix with no issues on my cranking battery. Now it is a heavy battery - https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...1m/sli31agmdpm

14. Member
    Michangler are all your batteries lithium? If so what amp hour are they. Have you ever ran them dead to where the cranking batt diddnt start the motor? Is that why you added the 5th batt or was it for piece of mind?
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

15. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I have 2 Solix’s

Heading Sensor:

Imaging:

This is a very good recap and I would like to add a few comments:
    1. Yes the menus and options are more complex but that is a byproduct of having a product which is more "tweakable"... If that's a word.
    2. If you aren't willing to invest the time in learning how to tune for the best images, you probably shouldn't go the Solix route. In reality, you would not get the best out of the Helix without considerable tweaking either.
    3. I made the transition from the Humminbird "legacy" line (which is what the Helix is) when they announced the Touch Screen Onix and can't imagine going back to a non-touchscreen model. With everything these days moving to touchscreen, it is just more intuitive.
    4. I run my Solix from a dedicated battery with dedicated wires running direct from the unit to the battery. It is one of 2 batteries in my boat and I have a battery switch which I turn to both "1 & 2" when I'm trolling to maintain the charge on both batteries (the starter battery and the Solix battery). I've never had any power issues with the battery using this approach.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

16. Member
    You forgot one thing IMHO...

SOLIX uses screw on terminals so forget a quick disconnect if you want to move a bow unit to the transom.. I have a Solix on my Console, and the Helix up front (both 12”).
    I also run a 360 and have an Ethernet switch with a cable to the back and front of the boat, and a quick connect / power cable in the front and back as well.
    2017 Lund alaskan 1800 Side Console 90hp, Lvl 2. Merc mon
    Ultrex iPilot Link, Console Solix Mega 12SI, Bow Helix 12 SI/DI GPS bow, and humminbird 360 / SI on bow..

I am looking at putting in a solix 12 gen 1 @ console linked via ethernet to share waypoints to an 899 up front and a 999 also up front. Will I be able to run all that with one battery? Motor is an Optimax 225 so 800 CCA is required. I should be able to fit in a 31AGM but definitely no room for a fifth battery.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

18. Member
    899 and 999 are less than an amp each Solix 4.5 amps. 7 amps draw total. 8 hour day = 56 amp hrs. Get a good quality(200 RC) AGM. Minimum 100 AH. It should be enough. Lower screen brightness on the Solix, put what you are not using in standby and you should be ok. It is the multiple big screens that require a separate house battery. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I thought I saw a video where you can record your side imaging onto your auto chart maps on the Solix. Called Mosaic or something like that. Just thought I’d mention that since it seemed like a pretty big advantage over the Helix.

I went with 2 Solix 12. At 10 brightness, on a 125ah lithium electronics only battery I have about 52% after a 12 hour day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast