Screw drive bit for lower unit vent screw?

Serial #2B016461 250 Pro XS

If there is such a thing, I'm looking for a hex shank bit similar to this one with a straight flat screwdriver that would nicely fit the upper vent screw on the gen 2 torque master lower unit. I just hate using a big 'ole long screwdriver, that doesn't fit well, prone to slip, and is difficult to judge how tight to turn it. I could slide this in a 1/4 drive socket, and tighten with a socket wrench, or torque wrench.

bit.JPG

2. Member
    There are screw driver bit sets for use by gunsmiths that could suit your purpose. They have a variety of bits that are used to fit squarely in a screw slot to avoid slipping and causing damage to screw heads.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    There are screw driver bit sets for use by gunsmiths that could suit your purpose. They have a variety of bits that are used to fit squarely in a screw slot to avoid slipping and causing damage to screw heads.
    +1. I use the giant flathead bit that came in my AR tool kit, oddly enough it serves absolutely no purpose for any of my ARs. It’s tight enough I had to file out the burrs left by lesser bits and it almost takes up the full slot width.

4. Member
    I use a screwdriver that has a hex nut below the handle, on the shank, that I use a box end wrench on.

5. Member
    The screwdrivers you guys are talking about are "hollow ground" screwdrivers. That is, the very edge of the tip is a little fatter and thins out as you move up the blade. This tends to cause the screwdriver to stay in the slot under load rather than walk out. All of my gunsmith-type screwdrivers are made this way for obvious reasons.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Member
    2006 Ranger 521VX w/ Gorilla Hull
    2005 Mercury 250XS L 0T999348

7. Member
    Get a hollow ground bit or screwdriver that fits width/length of drain screw slot. Problem solved.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Not the cheapest and have been thinking about ordering one of these?

https://www.klsupply.com/general-equ...l-35-69001.asp

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member

10. Member
    Just don't forget the hollow ground part if you want the best tool to remove, a tool that won't pop out and damage the slot when it does.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just remember in all of these high-dollar bits: You're dealing with 100 lbs/in. That's INCH.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

One of the reasons I wanted a bit that fit nicely and I could use a torque wrench on.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Just remember in all of these high-dollar bits: You're dealing with 100 lbs/in. That's INCH.

I bought this from <See Announcements>. The bit was a little too thick for the slot, so I ground it down to fit.

bits.JPGIMG_1.jpgIMG_2.jpgIMG_3.jpgIMG_4.jpg
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-27-2020 at 12:59 PM.