Going from 12v to 24v trolling motor

Do I need to run a new line set up to the front to handle the extra voltage? Is there something I should look for to be sure I don’t need to?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Often a 24V motor can get by with smaller wire than a 12V motor. What size is the wire that is currently in there, what size breaker or fuse is there and what specific TM are you going to?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Often a 24V motor can get by with smaller wire than a 12V motor. What size is the wire that is currently in there, what size breaker or fuse is there and what specific TM are you going to?
    I will grab some pictures tomorrow when I’m installing the front bow fish finder.

4. Member
    Also, not sure one what TM to get yet. I know i want Link 24V 60" just not sure about Terrova/Ultrex/Ulterra I have an extra DI sensor from the head unit i bought used so i was planning on just putting that on the TM, but if it comes with a DI i wouldn't mind.

5. Member
    It looks like its some thicker gauge wire running up to this socket. the socket says 12v-24v So I'm guessing i would be fine upgrading and just adding an extra battery.

IMG_0202.jpgIMG_0203.jpg

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
    It looks like its some thicker gauge wire running up to this socket. the socket says 12v-24v So I'm guessing i would be fine upgrading and just adding an extra battery.

IMG_0202.jpgIMG_0203.jpg
    Guessing isn’t really a good plan unless you want problems on the water. Simple to read the size off the wire and fuse/breaker.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Looks like 6 gauge, and that would be fine. You may need to change the breaker at the battery compartment depending which TM you're changing to, and the amperage for your new 24v TM. Most 12v TM used a 40 amp. If you're just upgrading to a Fortrex I'd go with a 50 amp, if to an Ultrex, go to a 60 amp.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philthy View Post

IMG_0202.jpgIMG_0203.jpg
    You need to verify pictures can be deceiving. It should say on the wire itself. Looks like 8 gauge to me. You'll want a 60 amp breaker. And find the model number on that Marinco plug it's probably only rated for 40amps by the looks of it.

9. Member
    From the connections used, pretty sure that is a 6ga. 8 and 6 use the same red connections (10 and 12 use yellow), but the crimp would be more pronounced on 8ga. I would however look on the insulation and know for sure. If it is 6ga, then all you will need is the extra battery and a short jumper wire. You'll put the neg on one battery, the positive on the other and run a jumper between them, using the empty pos and neg post. You will also need to change the breaker to a 60A. hope this helps
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    Thanks everyone! It will most likely be a project for next month. That’s when I take my boat of storage.