On water help! Ulterra will not deploy

I’m currently in my boat and can not get my Ulterra to deploy. When I power on I get the green light and my batteries are charged. However I am getting a constant chirping noise and will not let me deploy the motor. Any help before I take it off and chunk it in the lake out of frustration?

2. Member
    I'm not trying to frustrate you more, did you remove the velcro strap? I'm reading online now from the Minn Kota site to help you out. First mention is something blocking it from deploying. Audible beeps has a handful of things to check.

3. Member

4. Member
    I’ll have to wait until their customer service department reopens. Tried 3b. Do not see any type of impingement. Tried many different suggestions but can not seem to figure it out. I can hear the motor hum but no movement then the beep starts

5. Member
    Wondering....What did you find causing the trouble?
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

6. Member
    May not be pertinent ,but one green and one red should be on when the motor is ready and stowed. The red goes off once you deploy the motor. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    Haven’t found an answer yet. And yes when I turn on the motor both red and green lights are on. Looking like a trip to the shop

8. Member
    More than likely a board has gone bad. These things are tricky, I’ve had two boards go bad. It is VERY sensitive to voltage and power connection issues.

9. Banned
    I have shaken the whole system, sometimes its in a bind. Also had a time when voltage was low it would not deploy. One reason I am glad to be getting an ultrex now.

10. Member
    As said before these are super sensitive to variable voltage. How old are your batteries?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FootballandFishing View Post
    Haven’t found an answer yet. And yes when I turn on the motor both red and green lights are on. Looking like a trip to the shop
    You may have a power issue or you may have smoke a board. Check connections, breakers, or batteries. Just because a charger says a battery is charge it does not me that there is not a problem with the battery. Have the batteries load tested. It could have a bad cell which will cause issues. Doing this will save you a trip to ASC if you do not check this first.
    Also I can not stress enough to everyone who has the latest style troll motors. DO NOT keep your troll motor powered up in while charging the batteries. Turning the switch off on the troll motor does not turn off power. You will have to turn off the breaker near the batteries to shut power off completely as well as unplugging. This will save you a trip to the shop. Too many times I have changed smoked boards because of a bad battery charger.
    If no problems are found after the checks, then you may have a board issue or a sensor issue that is tied to the board. Then an ASC trip is warrant.

12. Member
    Guys, the Ulterra is not a trolling motor that you can just start changing this and that until you get it fixed. To trouble shoot, you have to know what voltages the motor is suppose to see and where it's suppose to see them. You also need to know the amp draw of certain components. Things that you can check is the voltage coming into the control board when you're trying to run the trolling motor -- but that is located under the shaft when the motor is stowed, so you have to know how to manually deploy. If the amp draw of the steering module exceeds it's limitations, then it will take the board out. Replace the board and as soon as you try to steer it, it will blow the board again if the initial problem isn't fixed. You have a voltage output place on the trim module where it meets the steering module. What I'm trying to say is to take the the trolling motor to an ASC that understands how it works and what to look for.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]