Lithium starting battery

Is anyone using a lithium start battery on a G2? If memory serves Evinrude didn’t recommend it when I bought my lithium trolling batteries. Just wondering if Evinrude has changed they’re stance on this.

2. Member
    Look down the page a little, there's another thread discussing this and Seahorse posted a statement from Evinrude.

3. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    I tried clicking the link in the post and that gave me a dead end. I also tried searching further down in the forum and couldnt find anything either?!?! Any help would be appreciated im bout to pull the trigger on a new lithium cranking battery.

Thanks!
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    From Seahorse's post.

February 16, 2017 No. 2017-02(D) Models: All Evinrude® Outboards

SUBJECT: Revised Battery Recommendations

This bulletin is to inform Evinrude dealers of a revision to the battery recommendations for all Evinrude outboards.

The battery charging system of Evinrude outboards is designed for use with lead acid type batteries ONLY, including “AGM” and “Gel” type batteries.

If other battery types, such as lithium ion batteries are used with an Evinrude outboard, installation of additional equipment may be required as defined by the battery manufacturer.

American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) specifications state:
    “Lithium Ion Battery systems pose different risks from those encountered with lead acid batteries and should only be installed and maintained in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations." Failure to follow the battery manufacturer recommendations may cause the battery to fail, resulting in a fire or explosion, property damage, and serious injury or death.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

6. Member
    Thanks ChamMan! Makes me contemplate now on switching or not?!?!? Has anyone with a G2 went to the Lithium battery with no issue? Or did they need to install something else to work correctly?
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scum_frog View Post
    Thanks ChamMan! Makes me contemplate now on switching or not?!?!? Has anyone with a G2 went to the Lithium battery with no issue? Or did they need to install something else to work correctly?
    I have been using a Relion for a year now. No issues. If you carefully read what the Evinrude statement says, it’s not that the battery will cause problems with the engine, the concern is the charging system may cause problems with the battery. Charging with too high amperage or to too high a voltage can cause damage or even cause a fire with a lithium battery. That’s why Evinrude releases their statement. Buy a quality drop in type lithium with a good built in BMS and the BMS will handle it all. It will work just fine with no issues.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

8. Member
    Lithium batteries need to charge to a high voltage to take full advantage. The regulators on current motors are set for lead acid batteries. You will get the weight advantage of the lithium but not extra capacity if charged to lead acid levels.

9. Member
    Recommended charge voltage for the Relion RB100-HP is 14.2-14.6 volts. The charge voltage of the Evinrude G2 is 14.4. There is absolutely no issue with reduced capacity due to charging limitations.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM