1996 stratos 278v

Hi guys, I found a decent deal on a 278 today. No electronics the tm is original and the boat is immaculate. The cover is worn out but everything else seems to be good. Owner is the second one it was stored in a barn from 2001 til 2015. He has taken it out 5-6 times a year. I’m guessing it has very few hours. The two previous owners were/are pan fisherman. It has an evinrude 115 smoker. Any thoughts on if this is worth 5k?
    he also said that if you stop on a windy day the boat will blow around in circles ... I’m thinking that the front live/baitwell fillled up may help with the kite effect. Any thoughts? Tia

278's are good boats! That one is a little underpowered but propped right should be ok...as for value I have no idea. Back then new it was around 15k.

3. Member
    Thank you sir, this one is in mint condition and the price is good. With that 115 will it get over 50mph? The current owner says it will do 60��*♂️ I find it hard to believe since the boat doesn’t have any gps electronics.
    The storage is minimal from what I can tell. Will a 7’6’ rod fit in that locker??

4. Member
    I have a 1999 Stratos 273 (17') with 115 johnson faststrike and it will do 53mph two guys tournament load. With just me and no fishing gear, best I have done is 57mph. 60mph seems unlikely but not saying its impossible. 278 is about a foot longer.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keepinsane View Post
    Thank you sir, this one is in mint condition and the price is good. With that 115 will it get over 50mph? The current owner says it will do 60��*♂️ I find it hard to believe since the boat doesn’t have any gps electronics.
    The storage is minimal from what I can tell. Will a 7’6’ rod fit in that locker??
    Stratos had happy speedo's back then, it should run around 50mph. Most were sold with a 150

6. Member
    Hi Moose720, Thanks for the feedback. How is the rod locker? Can you fit a 7’6” rod in yours?

7. Member
    Thanks JJ! That makes sense on the Speedo. 50 is plenty fast enough for me. This is a fun boat. Usually in the ranger with my partner for bigger tournaments ��