Upgraded to Ulterra, cover doesn't fit now

So my cover doesn't fit properly now that I have the Ulterra installed. I think the solution to the problem is the Minn Kota MKA-51 quick release mount which should be here by Monday. has anyone else had this problem and what was your solution?

boat cover.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

You should be able to get a local reputable upholsterer to modify ur cover....we’ve done it several times.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Have a shop cut and add material to the cover or send it off to Ranger and have them modify it with existing patterns for that trolling motor.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Just an fyi, Ranger no longer does aftermarket modifications to boat covers. But plenty of upholstery shops do.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Have a local shop modify the cover. That's what I did. You can buy the material direct from Ranger.

Just a little side note on the MKA-51. When I bought my 17 Z520C new last year, I have the dealer install the Ulterra on an MKA-51 bracket. It's a great concept to be able to slide the TM back when storing & launching. Especially when launching from steep ramps. Without it, you will constantly be hitting the TM on the front bow roller. Now the long story....

I was fishing a BASS Nation tournament shortly after I got the boat. It was a fairly windy day, but the Boat and TM performed great. It was 3:00 and I was 15 min away from a 3:30 weigh-in. I had just caught my Kicker fish and was pushing time further than I normally do. Headed across the lake in 25 mph winds as quickly as dared, with the TM bracket in the normal extended position. I rounded a point where the water would be much calmer and hammered down. Of course since this was a protected area, there were multiple wake boats doing their thing. One idiot cut directly across my path right in front of me, so I chopped the throttle to cross his wake. (hadn't learned how to handle this boat yet, came out of a super forgiving champion) When the nose came down off the large wake, it hit pretty solid. So solid that it busted the TM bracket and I could only watch my $2,500 trolling motor tumble off the bow. I was SICK to my stomach, but continued on to weigh-in. (which was a good thing because I had the winning sack)

The damage ended up being $6,000, which insurance paid. There was $2,000 worth of fiberglass work due to the TM taking chips out of the gel when it went over and I went past it. I contacted Minn Kota about the issue, but their answer was that "I probably left the cam lever unlocked and I should have placed a padlock in the provided holes for safety reasons". So, I took my lumps and moved on. Fast forward 3 weeks later... Same TM, same bracket, same conditions. Only thing different, I placed a padlock in the holes provided. Again, crossing the lake in 30 mph winds I notice the TM started moving around in the rough stuff. Get to my spot, and guess what... Bracket is broken again! The only reason I still had my TM was because of the padlock. Since I still had the upper bracket, this time, I was able to identify that cam inside the upper bracket is made of plastic and had busted up. BAD DESIGN! So I bought a new cam, installed it, then designed and fabricated a permanent fix that will never allow the bracket to separate, or break the cam, ever again.

So, my advice to the OP is that the MKA-51 bracket is great for sliding back and forth, but always place a padlock in the provided holes while the bracket is in the forward position and you are running on the water. Otherwise, you might be calling your insurance company like I did. Oh, and buy yourself an extra cam.
    2017 Ranger Z520C / Mercury 250 ProXS 2S

6. Member
    I had the same problem when I updated from a Terrova to the Ulterra. I installed the slide base with the Ulterra and it works great. When covering my boat, a Ranger 619, I just slide the base back 6" and the cover fits great. Once the cover is removed, I slide the base back out and deploy the Ulterra. I have been doing this for 2 years without any problems.

7. Member
    I use a R&R marine design slide bracket and have had great luck with that so far.

8. Member
    I had the same problem after installing Ultrex with 52'' shaft. My cover was old so I ordered a new cover from Ranger. Its fits great.

9. Member
    Ranger sent me a piece of cover fabric including the felt lining and a sketch on where to make the modifications. Custom car interior shop made the modifications for around $250. Cover is easier to put on then when it originally came from Ranger.