Allision Skid Planer

I have an Allision skid Planer I bought many years ago for my XB2002 with 280 I was thinking of drag racing. But the motor lost a wrist pin keeper and still have boat motor and skid planer. I moved on to other boat to fish out of. I now have a Bullet XRS with 4 stroke Merc. I am looking to find an Alli racer that may be able to share some info on the use of the skid planer.
    Here is a picture of some preliminary checks on how it may need to be mounted.
    What is my goal, to keep bow down on getting up on plane when loaded heavy with fuel, livewell water and partner.Alli skid planer.jpg

Any help appreciated.

John Foister

I have played around with plates in this location a lot on my boat and never found them to be of any real help. Do you have wedges? Way more helpful in my opinion.

Here was the plate I made. Did nothing.

Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    I have played around with plates in this location a lot on my boat and never found them to be of any real help. Do you have wedges? Way more helpful in my opinion.

Here was the plate I made. Did nothing.

I'd say it does a lot... looks so damn cool!
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    If I am looking at that picture correctly that is not where that skid planer goes. Ou need to refer to the diagram and instruction sheet from Allison on the correct placement of the planer n relation to the bilge plug.

I installed one on my Astro 18FDX back when I was a "wanna be" allison owner for the exact reason. It will do absolutely nothing where you have it placed right now. The front edge is supposed to be near the bilge plug with precise measurements from the plug and the bottom of the pad.

I used to have a copy of the installation paperwork but have need seen that forever. Give Bill a call at the factory and he would be happy to email you or fax the sheet to you.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    Thanks for the info fellows. I will have to try the wedges. Sounds like a better method. I seem to have plenty of trim travel unless I am going for all out top end and run engine at extreme engine height and need max trim travel. Max top end for me these days is not same as it was when younger.