Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Oops, just went to a Chinese restaurant yesterday. So far so good.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Just think, if billions upon billions of consumer goods were still made here in this country rather than China this epidemic wouldn't affect us much financially. Lots of big name companies are going to take a huge financial hit over this and their stock prices will drop accordingly.

Technology is getting hit hard. Apple has missed the sales forecast due to part shortages. I think pretty much most industries rely on parts from China. I am guessing automotive will take a hit as well.
    Last edited by Gsmith223; 02-25-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Pharmaceuticals is the area to be concerned about. I can live without the latest iPhone. My clonazepam prescription gets cut off then chances are all of us who use it are in a world of hurt as we go into withdrawals. I don't know if clonazepam is sourced out of China or not. From my understanding almost all antibiotics are. We run out of those people will die no question about it. Take a guess who is burning through the world stockpile of those. I think most here are blissfully ignorant about what a truly deadly pandemic means for world and national security. Go and read up on the Spanish Flu 1918-1920 the last time there was one.

Quote Originally Posted by BassPundit View Post
    Pharmaceuticals is the area to be concerned about. I can live without the latest iPhone. My clonazepam prescription gets cut off then chances are all of us who use it are in a world of hurt as we go into withdrawals. I don't know if clonazepam is sourced out of China or not. From my understanding almost all antibiotics are. We run out of those people will die no question about it. Take a guess who is burning through the world stockpile of those. I think most here are blissfully ignorant about what a truly deadly pandemic means for world and national security. Go and read up on the Spanish Flu 1918-1920 the last time there was one.
    Yes. My Grandfather died of the "Great Influenza of 1919"...in 1919. Dad was 6. The story is that the flu bug was brought home by our "Doughboys" when they came back from WW1. You'd think that bed rest and orange juice would have been adequate treatment, but it was not.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Yes. My Grandfather died of the "Great Influenza of 1919"...in 1919. Dad was 6. The story is that the flu bug was brought home by our "Doughboys" when they came back from WW1. You'd think that bed rest and orange juice would have been adequate treatment, but it was not.
    Alternate theories suggest that it was actually doughboys from the US that spread it to the rest of the world when they were deployed to Europe. Some theories have it originating in Kansas. The somewhat unique feature of the Spanish Flu was the mortality curve was very different than most pandemic flues. If you look at average flu distribution curves, they form roughly U shaped curves with the very young and very old being on the upper ends of the scale of mortality. With Spanish flu, there was a very distinct "W" anomaly in the cure in that a very disproportionate segment of the population that died were in the 20-40 year old range. It is theorized that this is due to the Spanish Flu being novel, it caused an over-reaction in the immune systems of those that are normally most able to mount an adequate defense against infection. They theorize that it was a case where the young and healthy went into what is referred to as a "cytokine storm".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123