NC Wildlife - Fisheries Management - Podcast

I highly encourage everyone that fishes in NC, to listen to this podcast and get the information directly from the NC Wildlife Resources Commission.
    Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/Fishing-for...9670010438348/

2. Member

3. Member
    I agree. Very informative. Great podcast!
    2003 Ranger 205 VX
    2007 Mercury Optimax

4. Member
    Great show guys. If the new Spot/Alabama bass limit passes we should have a tournament followed by a fish fry. Spots and Alabama bass only. 15 inch max length (2 under 14" as current laws allow). Best 5 weight with a side pot for big bass under 15 inches and a smallest bass under 14 inches.

When i was in Texas there was a trail that did this once a year for Guadalupe Bass only. I think they get 50-60 boats and the payouts are good and there is plenty of fun to be had.

Glad to hear that they are trying to get some native grass back in the lakes to replace the hydrilla they get rid of.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magfluker View Post
    Great show guys. If the new Spot/Alabama bass limit passes we should have a tournament followed by a fish fry. Spots and Alabama bass only. 15 inch max length (2 under 14" as current laws allow). Best 5 weight with a side pot for big bass under 15 inches and a smallest bass under 14 inches.

When i was in Texas there was a trail that did this once a year for Guadalupe Bass only. I think they get 50-60 boats and the payouts are good and there is plenty of fun to be had.

Glad to hear that they are trying to get some native grass back in the lakes to replace the hydrilla they get rid of.

I'm in but my luck is I'd go catch a mega bag of largemouth if I fished this tourney lol

6. Member
    Give me the cliff notes, neither link would work without singing up. LoL.

7. Member
    +1 What Munchie said

8. Member
    Cliff notes:

Alabama/Spots are bad. They weren't brought here by NCW but by fisherman. They are trying to adjust creel limits. Fisherman need to stop moving fish from lake to lake. They breed with native populations then squeeze them out. It is possible that Lake James won't have any smallmouth left in 5-10 years.

Hydrilla is an invasive species which is why they kill it, it is not NCW that kills it. NCW is trying to plant native aquatic vegetation in place of the Hydrilla, they are having some success in doing so but it takes a while.

Fish size and aquatic vegeation growth is based on minerals in the specific river system. Cawtauba chain has less minerals than Yadkin chain and Yadkin chain has less than Triangle lakes.

They don't typically stock black bass (large, small) due to them being very stable in the region.

There was a good amount of talk about Randleman but I'll save some of the other stuff for me as there was some good tidbits in there ;)
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magfluker View Post
    Cliff notes:

Alabama/Spots are bad. They weren't brought here by NCW but by fisherman. They are trying to adjust creel limits. Fisherman need to stop moving fish from lake to lake. They breed with native populations then squeeze them out. It is possible that Lake James won't have any smallmouth left in 5-10 years.

Hydrilla is an invasive species which is why they kill it, it is not NCW that kills it. NCW is trying to plant native aquatic vegetation in place of the Hydrilla, they are having some success in doing so but it takes a while.

Fish size and aquatic vegeation growth is based on minerals in the specific river system. Cawtauba chain has less minerals than Yadkin chain and Yadkin chain has less than Triangle lakes.

They don't typically stock black bass (large, small) due to them being very stable in the region.

There was a good amount of talk about Randleman but I'll save some of the other stuff for me as there was some good tidbits in there ;)
    thanks for that. I would think if they though spots were a serious problem for Gaston they could start shocking and scooping. That would put a hurt on spot populations and feed some one at the same time.

10. Fishing is a Passion
    Just listened to the pod-cast, If the state is worried about the spotted bass, why don't the get ahead of the game and cross breed a large-mouth and spotted bass and you have the best of both worlds.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen