Trick Step interfering with right hand turning radius

I just received my trick step and when unboxing it, there was a warning label cautioning about the right hand turning radius for clearance. I know it could be the result of a particular tow vehicles turning radius but this caution was not on their web site. I would have asked more questions before I ordered it. My driveway to my garage is perpendicular to the street so I have to back the boat up turning the truck/trailer pretty sharply. I have a Z118 Ranger on a single axle Ranger Trail trailer. My tow vehicle is a standard 2018 F150 4 well drive with 20 inch wheels. Has anybody experienced the right hand turning radius issues that Trick Step warns you about. I assume the warning is for if you turn to sharp wither forward or backing up (my particular case) that the trick step can hit the back of the truck.

2. Member
    I bought a 13" hitch from etrailer.com. That extended it out and gives me plenty of room.

3. Member
    I have a 10.5” with a towtector deflector mounted on it. I have some pretty tight areas to back my Z119 with trickstep behind an F150. I watch it on my 360 truck camera and I have to nearly jackknife it to hit but it could... never been an issue.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

4. Member
    So does the bottom step hit the bumper? If so, you can get the version that has a removable bottom step?

5. Member
    I got it installed and I know why they included the warning. I do not know if it will be an issue or not in my particular case, but for my driveway I will just back it in so the step is always to the outside.

6. Member
    I dented my F-250 bumper when I had a friend watching for me as I backed under a house with stilts at Okeechobee. He did not see the step getting close to the bumper and I wondered if I was about to get into the truck with the step. I get out and sure enough, it had touched the bumper. I would get an extended hitch if I had to make that backup on a regular basis.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sanner View Post
    I bought a 13" hitch from etrailer.com. That extended it out and gives me plenty of room.
    I did the same thing

8. Member
    Exactly why I don't own one. I wish I knew of a system that goes up middle over winch stand like I think Bass Cat's does.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Heethen View Post
    Exactly why I don't own one. I wish I knew of a system that goes up middle over winch stand like I think Bass Cat's does.
    Ranger makes a step that is about $1000. I don't know if their design would have the same potential. If I was younger, I probably would have passed on buying anybody's step. Know that I now the potential issue, I don't think I will have a problem and will just pay a little more attention. The risk of a fall is a much bigger concern than me screwing up and turning the boat trailer to sharp to get the step into the bumper.

10. Member
    On my Easy Step steps I removed the steps, made new holes and offset the steps to the inside and helped my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Ranger makes a step that is about $1000. I don't know if their design would have the same potential. If I was younger, I probably would have passed on buying anybody's step. Know that I now the potential issue, I don't think I will have a problem and will just pay a little more attention. The risk of a fall is a much bigger concern than me screwing up and turning the boat trailer to sharp to get the step into the bumper.
    No issue with Ranger steps

12. Member
    I have trick step and no issues what so ever I have them on my ranger 521vx 2003 trailer and not even close to hitting the bumper I tow with a 2003 tahoe and a 2013 tahoe. My friend used my boat on his Chevy pickup diesel and no issues what so ever.