Thread: Costa Lenses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Costa Lenses

Have been using copper/bronze based oakley polarized for years. Wondering what is the best overall costa lens color is. Everything I read points to green mirror. Thanks.

2. Member
    Yep, I wore the copper/bronze Oakley also and green mirror is what you want. Go with the 580G.

3. Member
    I like amber colored for low light, and darker for mid day (bright sunny day).

4. Member
    Just ordered new pair of “sunrise silver mirror “ lenses, in the corbina frames !.. very, very good for sight fishing !

5. Member
    Green mirror
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

6. Member
    My first pair were the blue mirror. Second were green mirror, and i prefer the green

7. Banned
    green mirror best all around.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeandthetomcats View Post
    Have been using copper/bronze based oakley polarized for years. Wondering what is the best overall costa lens color is. Everything I read points to green mirror. Thanks.
    I have the Oakley glasses you have and my wife got me the Costa green mirror and I like them better for almost all day fishing. I also would like to have the silver sunrise lens for morning, evening and everyday use. I guess it never ends.

9. Member
    Thanks for the responses. Sounds like green mirror it is. What is the advantage of the glass? Clarity and scratch resistance? Probably go with plastic. Now I have to figure out the frame...

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I prefer the Green also
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeandthetomcats View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Sounds like green mirror it is. What is the advantage of the glass? Clarity and scratch resistance? Probably go with plastic. Now I have to figure out the frame...
    no idea about scratch resistance. I have the 580G and they scratch quiet easily.

Honestly think I'll be getting the 580P next. Cheaper.

12. Member
    Green mirror for me too. I had the gray lenses and i felt like I could see Bass a little better in the water with gray but the green mirror was better all around for bass and trout fishing
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

13. Member
    It would be best if you could go somewhere like Bass Pro or any store where you could try them on for fit and comfort. After you find the frame that works best for you then shop for best price.

14. Member
    I have moved away from glass lenses for fishing , my partner missed a flip fish “ & I got hit in the left lense’ with a 1oz punch weight!, the only thing that saved me was ‘ the plastic trailer & skirt soaked up the impact ! & the lense only cracked “ if the weight would of hit ?, the lense probably would have shattered!

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman920 View Post
    I have moved away from glass lenses for fishing , my partner missed a flip fish “ & I got hit in the left lense’ with a 1oz punch weight!, the only thing that saved me was ‘ the plastic trailer & skirt soaked up the impact ! & the lense only cracked “ if the weight would of hit ?, the lense probably would have shattered!
    Jeez! Scary stuff. Glad you didn't get a direct hit with the weight!

I used to use shooting glasses because they were ANSI certified but I did change to the 580G lens because of how clear they are, but I have had in back of my mind exactly what happened to you. Maybe I should try a set of the 580P lenses, just googled and looks like they are ANSI approved also.

"Costa 580P lenses have been tested to meet or exceed the rigorous impact standards set forth by the American National Standards Institute, including ANSI Z80. 3 and ANSI Z87. 1. For the 580P lens we developed a proprietary coating called C-WALL."

I think all Oakley lenses are ANSI rated also.
    Bob's Machine - Action Series Jack Plates - DeckPlugs - DeckSavers - QuickSlip - The Big D Trolling motor handle - Much more!
    www.bobsmachine.com

Green mirror or copper silver mirror are Costa's best all around colors in my opinion. I actually like the Copper Silver Mirror a bit more. I think it's very slightly lighter in color which helps early in the morning and on overcast days, think that the copper colored lens allows me to see into the water a bit better, and personally like the look of silver mirror better than green. Yep, I said it.

Basically anything from any halfway decent sunglass manufacturer will be more scratch resistant than Oakley (check out Fuse Lenses for Oakley replacements at a great price that are way better than Oakley stock lenses), but from Costa the glass is more scratch resistant and clearer than the poly. It's also heavier (I needed to add silicone nose pads to my latest pair to stop them from sliding down...no biggie for me, but worth mentioning) and, as mentioned above, not ANSI rated. Pros and cons to either, but I think you've got some good info to make an informed choice at least!

Agree with trying them on for fit, then shopping around. Believe it or not, eBay is the place to look to find specific frame / lens combos. Costas have MAP pricing, so dealers sell stuff on eBay to get around it. Just find a US based seller with good feedback that has the ones you're looking for and buy away! Steep and Cheap is another option where you'll probably find better deals, but they're usually discontinued or not-as-popular options.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I currently own and have owned more Costas than I count. I personally do not see a HUGE difference in clarity from glass to plastic. So much so I went all plastic several years back and have not had any issues. Never had any scratching issues with glass but I like the weight and easier care of the plastic way better.

Here is how I choose lens colors:

Daily and driving wear- grey/silver mirror 580P
    fishing most of the year, on the water stuff- blue mirror 580P
    sight fishing- green mirror 580P

18. Member
    I have a couple of pairs of Costas and they have the plastic lenses. I've been tempted to try the glass lenses because I do hear that the clarity is better but as has been pointed out. Fishing can be a contact sport:-( The plastic lenses offer the best eyeball protection in case of impact. A brother of a friend of mine several years ago on the Chick was pulling a lure from a snag and lost his eye due to the lure coming loose and hitting his eyball at high speed. It basically busted his eyeball! I want nothing of that so its plastic lenses for me.

My eyeglass guy just ordered me a pair of Blackfin prescription in green mirror, he advised me to go with the plastic lenses, they are also going to be progressive lenses. I've been wearing Maui Jims with contacts to see far away and they have readers in the bottom so I can see up close to tie .
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

20. Member
    Purchased the Rafael with the plastic green mirror for under $100. They fit well and the lens seem good looking at the snow on the ground. Be awhile before I try them on the water....thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast