Charging the Battery Bank

I just purchased a used 2016 Triton TR19 and at the age of 74 am in love again. Can't wait till warmer weather arrives. I have the good fortune of living on a lake with a boat dock/house. My question is: Do I leave the battery bank charger plugged in 24/7 or should i follow some type of scheduling? Many thanks in advance and thank everyone for assisting with recommendations and experiences.
    John

2. Member
    Congrats on your purchase and while 74 isn't as old as it used to be so don't take this wrong, but you're an inspiration to many. My grandmother used to tell me all the time, she'd say - "now son listen to this old women --- when you get up in years don't slow down, don't sit down - cause if you do that's where you will be". I'm 63 and try to stay active. I think about what Mamaw said all the time, especially when I'm tired and my bones ache. Got to keep moving! About your question --- you will get advice both ways but what has always worked for me is to plug the charger in as soon as you finish a trip, I leave it plugged in all that evening and that night and by morning its fully charged. I take it off charge and then plug it back in to top off the night before my next trip. That way I know the batteries are fully charged when I head out. Worked good for me for 30+ years.

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    Congrats on your purchase and while 74 isn't as old as it used to be so don't take this wrong, but you're an inspiration to many. My grandmother used to tell me all the time, she'd say - "now son listen to this old women --- when you get up in years don't slow down, don't sit down - cause if you do that's where you will be". I'm 63 and try to stay active. I think about what Mamaw said all the time, especially when I'm tired and my bones ache. Got to keep moving! About your question --- you will get advice both ways but what has always worked for me is to plug the charger in as soon as you finish a trip, I leave it plugged in all that evening and that night and by morning its fully charged. I take it off charge and then plug it back in to top off the night before my next trip. That way I know the batteries are fully charged when I head out. Worked good for me for 30+ years.
    This ^^^ I used to leave mine plugged in 24/7 and a friend lost his house and garage....cause was investigated and led back to the boat. It is imperative to plug them in as soon as you get home...the batteries do not like being discharged over time....especially in cold weather.

4. Scraps
    I'm with both posts so far. Plug it in right when I get home. Then unplug next morning, and top off night before the next trip. Super important to top off night before a trip. The one time I didn't the planets aligned and just so happened to be when I would have discovered a bad battery.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

diddo….I plugged it in for months basically all the time . I just unplugged it for a day and all 3 batteries
    are at 13 v.... all plugged back in. keeps them in maint. order

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sabat View Post
    I just purchased a used 2016 Triton TR19 and at the age of 74 am in love again. Can't wait till warmer weather arrives. I have the good fortune of living on a lake with a boat dock/house. My question is: Do I leave the battery bank charger plugged in 24/7 or should i follow some type of scheduling? Many thanks in advance and thank everyone for assisting with recommendations and experiences.
    John
    John,
    Unless you know that your battery charger has the float mode feature- basically drops down to 2 Amp and cycles on/off, after all your banks show charged ( mine goes from 5 green lights to 1 when done), you do not need it to have it on 24/7. I have a battery disconnect on my starting battery, and I keep my TM unplugged so I know there is no draw on my batteries.
    If she sits for a long time, I make sure that I plug it in every couple of weeks, especially in Upshit NY winters, but during fishing season, I plug it the night before a trip and go, if she been seating for a tad.
    No issues for many years, even in subzero Temps. I wish you the very best with you new rig, and many tight lines to you.
    Last edited by digthemup; 03-01-2020 at 03:27 PM.

A smart charger like a Battery Tender is the right thing. If you leave an unregulated charger on the batteries all the time it can fry the batteries and you could possibly end up with a burned down boathouse like Bassmeisters friend. Today’s smart chargers are great not only for having the battery charged when you need it, but also will extend battery life.

BTW, I am almost 72 and just bought a boat again after 30 years without one. I’m just a big old kid lovin’ life. I wish the same for everyone.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Active Target 2 on Seelite Pole
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
    A smart charger like a Battery Tender is the right thing. If you leave an unregulated charger on the batteries all the time it can fry the batteries and you could possibly end up with a burned down boathouse like Bassmeisters friend. Today’s smart chargers are great not only for having the battery charged when you need it, but also will extend battery life.

BTW, I am almost 72 and just bought a boat again after 30 years without one. I’m just a big old kid lovin’ life. I wish the same for everyone.
    Wow, 72 and 74 getting back into bass fishing rigs, and here at 62, I was thinking of moving into a multi species or bass buggy pontoon cause of the stenosis in my lower back. I feel ashamed for having thought of that, and looking forward to get out there once this virus quarantine is lifted.
    BTW, I had bad experience with Battery Tender killing 1 of my Corvette batteries by boiling out half of the water. I believe the float mode must have crapped out, so now I use an old 2 Amp moving it car to car after 24 hrs. during winter months. Most good newer boat chargers have the 1.5 or 2 Amp float mode built in once the batteries are charged.