Thread: Motor support?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motor support?

Anything new on a Motormate for the Merc 4S v8? If not is there something similar, other than the dd26?

2. Member
    Toterite STR8.
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    Toterite STR8.
    Love Mine!

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    Toterite STR8.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See FAQ Section for more info.

BTW... Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Russell Marine has a toter. Currently out of stock but it is a decent item. I only got to take mine out once but it did the job.

7. Member
    RMP is another choice.

8. Member
    Do you need steering clips with the Tote Rite? How does it compare to the DD26 or the RMP versions?

Quote Originally Posted by NCbound3 View Post
    Do you need steering clips with the Tote Rite? How does it compare to the DD26 or the RMP versions?
    No steering clips needed that's why I like it....have not owned the other two

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

10. Dogfish_Jones
    RMP has their in stock now, I just got mine last week. Fits like it was molded for the engine and very beefy looking and has the two clips with it and it will attach to the transom saver when you pull them off for quick storage while on the water. To me a great buy @ $159.

I have the RMP and like it. The rubber bumper fits the motor perfectly. I use the moto stop steering clips tho. I like that they clip on the transom saver so its all together.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    How well does the Toterite do with keeping the motor from moving side to side? I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't completely keep the motor straight when going down the road. I'd like to get one that I don't have to use steering clips on.
    Last edited by TNfish3; 03-27-2020 at 10:02 AM.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Due to the midsection design, it's probably wisest to use a set of steering clips.

The only one I've seen that was supposed to keep the steering centered was actually pressing against the sides of the lower Chaps- which will not take a lot of focused pressure without the potential of fracturing.

JMHO... a potential (costly) problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Due to the midsection design, it's probably wisest to use a set of steering clips.

The only one I've seen that was supposed to keep the steering centered was actually pressing against the sides of the lower Chaps- which will not take a lot of focused pressure without the potential of fracturing.

I had a guy at Motormate tell me that using steering clips is bad cuz it wipes the light coat of grease off and can damage the seals. Is there any truth to that or is just marketing hype?

15. Member
    I have the updated RMP one and like it. I used to use a Motormate for my old 2S Merc but they have been working on one for the 4S for like a year now. I don't think they will ever make one.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

16. Member
    I got the new version from RMP and i also like it.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

2B770925 I got one and will get some clips in the future. Until then have a 3+ hour first tow after motor install. A video endorsement says swing arm pins on the holders will shear under excess pressure before damage to anything. Sure hope so.
    Last edited by gaston13; 03-29-2020 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaston13 View Post
    2B770925 I got one and will get some clips in the future. Until then have a 3+ hour first tow after motor install. A video endorsement says swing arm pins on the holders will shear under excess pressure before damage to anything. Sure hope so.
    Been using the STR 8 for 9 months now..Here's my take for what it's worth.
    IMO the motor mate without steering clips on the 2 stroke Pro XS motors was as good as you could get. After some research I bought the Str 8 for the new V8.. First thing I noticed-- there is some side to side movement on rougher roads. I figured that was ok on short trips but unacceptable (for me) on long hauls.. So I ordered a set of T-H steering clips.. They did not completely fill the length of steering rams (1/2" short).. And yes there was still a little side to side movement. Got a set of the old blue steering blocks that you have to cut to the length of your rods..... Problem solved..

I also attached a short tether from the blocks to the Tote right so I wont forget to remove the blocks.. ( thanks Don Weed for that tip !)

Ordered a set of Gator-Lock clips from Drewcraft board sponsor last night as a insurance policy.

Hope they are long enough.. if to short you havn't gained anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast