Thread: Motor support?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Hope they are long enough.. if to short you havn't gained anything.
    Correct but for $17.00 I'll take a shot.

The old blue ones that you cut to size are cheaper than that.
    Cut mine so that after putting the first side on you have to put slight pressure with steering wheel in order to place the second.. pretty well eliminated all movment.

3. Member
    McCormick, SC - By way of Aubrey,TX ,Buford, GA and originally Kettering, OH
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    The old blue ones that you cut to size are cheaper than that.
    Cut mine so that after putting the first side on you have to put slight pressure with steering wheel in order to place the second.. pretty well eliminated all movment.
    where can you buy the old blue ones that you can cut to fit?
    2020 520L / 250 PRO XS 4S

Got mine at Academy

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Due to the midsection design, it's probably wisest to use a set of steering clips.

The only one I've seen that was supposed to keep the steering centered was actually pressing against the sides of the lower Chaps- which will not take a lot of focused pressure without the potential of fracturing.

JMHO... a potential (costly) problem.
    hey Don,

what’s the best way to secure side to side movement on Mercury four stroke motor with CABLE steering? Hydraulic steering clips are pretty inconvenient when using with cable steering. Grease gets all over them and you have to turn motor all the way to one side because you can only clip in on one side. Thanks.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lund_Adventurer View Post
    hey Don,

what’s the best way to secure side to side movement on Mercury four stroke motor with CABLE steering? Hydraulic steering clips are pretty inconvenient when using with cable steering. Grease gets all over them and you have to turn motor all the way to one side because you can only clip in on one side. Thanks.
    A good-ole bungie strap through the steering wheel and to a fixed object does a pretty decent job. Or... a NFB (no feedback) steering system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    A good-ole bungie strap through the steering wheel and to a fixed object does a pretty decent job. Or... a NFB (no feedback) steering system.
    thank you for the response. The new Mercury 4 stroke 75/90/115 recent years don’t come with NFB steering system?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    RMP has their in stock now, I just got mine last week. Fits like it was molded for the engine and very beefy looking and has the two clips with it and it will attach to the transom saver when you pull them off for quick storage while on the water. To me a great buy @ $159.
    Same here. Very pleased with the RMP and clips.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW83 View Post
    Anything new on a Motormate for the Merc 4S v8? If not is there something similar, other than the dd26?
    toterite STR8 been using mine 2 yrs on 300 Pro Xs works fine for me no need for steering clips

I have the RMP unit. I took it apart and painted it red. I have had it for about 2 yrs. No complaints.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by gaston13 View Post
    Correct but for $17.00 I'll take a shot.
    My Gatorbak's fit just right....I still have the Toterite but quit using the swing out arms due to the amount of pressure they put on the lower cowling

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

12. Member
    I have tried both, the toterite and RMP and prefer the RMP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12