Intermittent High Idle

250 ProXS, Serial#- 1B962763. Serviced last May. 280 hrs Total time. Last two times out have experienced intermittent high idle. When I shut the motor down and restart, it will idle fine. To prevent further and future issues, I took it to a dealer with a merc master tech and he checked the air and fuel pressure and said there were no faults. He checked the throttle cable, linkage, hot foot. Ran fine for him so didn’t do anything. Can or should I keep running it? Not sure what direction to go with this one. Any help appreciated.

I had that exact thing on an 02 optimax 200. About 1 in every 10-15 times I put it in idle, it’d rev like crazy. If I shut it off then turned it back on, it’d be fine. I never did get it solved, as I sold it a few months after it started doing that. Always wondered what the cause was.
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

3. Member
    I had a similar issue and it was tpi

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    I had a similar issue and it was tpi
    Whats “tpi”? Assuming you mean TPS? Throttle Position Sensor?
    sounds like the culprit as mine started this last fall right before I put her away for the winter. Talked to a local mechanic who agreed that’s more than likely my issue as everything checked out when I had them service it mid summer. Sounds like an easy fix so I will probably replace it myself.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

5. Member
    I actually meant TPI throttle position indicator yes it’s the same thing as tps in the automotive world but the Mercury bag you get in the mail or from your dealer will say TPI throttle position indicator on it. Plug and play and two bolts easy fix.

Is there any way to test the TPS to see if it’s operating correctly?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    Is there any way to test the TPS to see if it’s operating correctly?
    Scan tool

Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    Scan tool
    Just looking at the service manual, it says that the TPS position can be monitored with the CDS. Gives voltage specs at idle and wot. By scan tool, I’m thinking you mean CDS. I don’t have one of those.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    Just looking at the service manual, it says that the TPS position can be monitored with the CDS. Gives voltage specs at idle and wot. By scan tool, I’m thinking you mean CDS. I don’t have one of those.
    Yes that what he is saying.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Either the throttle linkage is not consistently coming back FIRMLY against the idle stop (ie: debris in hotfoot, lack of lubrication to hotfoot moving components and cable end, insufficient spring tension, worn or improperly adjusted cable, etc), OR the TPS has a "glitch" near or at idle.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to just double check the hotfoot, throttle stop, linkage,and lubricate. Water test it one more time and if it’s still acting up order a TPS from Rhonda. Thanks again, fellas.

12. Member
    I had a 2000 Opti 200 that would rev by itself. Only happened 3 times before I got it to a dealer. After checking and rechecking with Mercury the dealer took the air pump apart and found (I watched it happen) a small piece of maybe gasket material or plastic in the cylinder. It ran perfect after that.

I replaced the TPS and the three bolts holding it in place seemed like they had a bit of loctite on them. Wee bit hard to remove and I could see something on the ends. May have been just a little corrosion, not sure. Manual doesn’t say to use thread locker on those just to torque to 23 in/lbs. Do they require removable thread locker?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Red liquid loctite.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Don.

As a follow-up, after replacing the TPS, have been out multiple times fishing and the intermittent high idle problems are solved. Thank you guys for your expert advice once again. It’s much appreciated the time taken to support these engine owners in their efforts to keep their motors in tip top shape.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar