Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think I finally found my deal

Been looking for a year and a half now about trading in my current boat. I had been down to Anglers Choice in Martinsville VA and looked at a few. I really liked the Ranger rt198p. They had several of them rigged up and they are asking $39,500 for the 2020 models which is just too much for my budget. I had my mind pretty much made up to settle for a rt188p with the 115 ProXS. They wanted $31,500 for one that I liked.

Last night I casually visited a Bass Pro with the family and as I made a quick pass through their showroom I noticed they had a rt198p in the corner. I went over and looked at it and low and behold, it is a 2018 leftover. They had it on clearance marked down to $28,500. It has a Garmin Echomap 73sv flush mounted at the console, a Minn Kota Fortrex trolling motor, and a Mercury 150 Pro XS Optimax. It is a matte white with a charcoal fiberglass console and center storage box. This boat is exactly what I have been looking for. I don't mind one bit that it's a 2018 leftover and that it has the 2-stroke Mercury on it. Also, the single axle trailer would be better for me because it would be easier to move it around in the garage I store it in during the winter. I scheduled an appointment for Monday to take my boat in to let them look at it and offer me a trade in value. If I get the offer I expect to get I am planning on dropping about $3,000 on top of it to get the price of the new boat to around $20,000 which would in turn be almost half the price of the 2020 for a 2 year old, brand new boat that has never left the show room floor. I feel like this deal might have dropped into my lap and that it's just too good to pass up.

2. Banned
    sounds like a great deal!

3. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Congratulations young man, you will love that boat, and 2 stroke all the way!
    I agree on the single axle, they are much easier to move around by hand...

Good Luck closing the deal, keep us posted...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Sounds Like a Deal
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

5. Member
    Sounds like a great deal and a lucky find. Nothing wrong with a 2 stroke at all and the single axle will make it easy to move around the driveway and garage. I think you will love the Ranger.

6. Member
    Look it over real good. 2 years of people and kids jumping and pulling on everything I’d be a little concerned about that. Just saying.
    2015 189 trx

7. Member
    Best of Luck Hope this works out

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    Look it over real good. 2 years of people and kids jumping and pulling on everything I’d be a little concerned about that. Just saying.
    I wouldn't worry too much about that.

9. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    sounds like a deal. Don;t pass it up!
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

10. Member
    Sounds like a price you cant refuse, good luck.

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    Sounds like a great deal and a lucky find. Nothing wrong with a 2 stroke at all and the single axle will make it easy to move around the driveway and garage. I think you will love the Ranger.
    I would bet they are letting that rig go at a bargain basement price because 2 strokes are not the bright shiny new toy, at the moment. Personally I would take a 2S any day over the 4 until they are no longer an option or until time changes my thinking... Just my opinion.

I love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    I would. People tend to turn their kids loose in BPS and they climb all over the boats, banging on everything. Plus, BPS sucks at fixing things.

Just go over it real good.

That's a smokin' deal and one that I know I wouldn't pass up. If it was closer I would probably buy it.

14. Banned
    Sounds like a good deal. You will love that boat.

Quote Originally Posted by RHuff View Post
    Been looking for a year and a half now about trading in my current boat. I had been down to Anglers Choice in Martinsville VA and looked at a few. I really liked the Ranger rt198p. They had several of them rigged up and they are asking $39,500 for the 2020 models which is just too much for my budget. I had my mind pretty much made up to settle for a rt188p with the 115 ProXS. They wanted $31,500 for one that I liked.

Last night I casually visited a Bass Pro with the family and as I made a quick pass through their showroom I noticed they had a rt198p in the corner. I went over and looked at it and low and behold, it is a 2018 leftover. They had it on clearance marked down to $28,500. It has a Garmin Echomap 73sv flush mounted at the console, a Minn Kota Fortrex trolling motor, and a Mercury 150 Pro XS Optimax. It is a matte white with a charcoal fiberglass console and center storage box. This boat is exactly what I have been looking for. I don't mind one bit that it's a 2018 leftover and that it has the 2-stroke Mercury on it. Also, the single axle trailer would be better for me because it would be easier to move it around in the garage I store it in during the winter. I scheduled an appointment for Monday to take my boat in to let them look at it and offer me a trade in value. If I get the offer I expect to get I am planning on dropping about $3,000 on top of it to get the price of the new boat to around $20,000 which would in turn be almost half the price of the 2020 for a 2 year old, brand new boat that has never left the show room floor. I feel like this deal might have dropped into my lap and that it's just too good to pass up.
    Yeah I found a 2019 at Cabela's for 30 and change but the wife didn't like the coin box, thus we have the Tracker.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Yeah I found a 2019 at Cabela's for 30 and change but the wife didn't like the coin box, thus we have the Tracker.
    I have heard of reasons why one boat was bought over another .... that is the first time I heard that one......... My wife would have just had to bring her purse to keep her coins in.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

I call this tactic being patiently aggressive. Be patient until you find the right deal then jump on it!!!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

18. Member
    Sounds like a great deal, best of luck with it. I love my 198P and am glad I have the 2 stroke on it.

Don't know what part of Ohio you are in but Bridgeport Supply in Marietta Ohio had a 20 foot crestliner with a 200 merc for 30 grand. I think it was also a 2018.
    Last edited by crankwv; 02-23-2020 at 04:41 PM.

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Make sure to post some pics of her! Good luck, hope you get it!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast