Bolts for boat buckles?

Odd question, and I feel pretty dumb for asking it. Just bought some new Boat Buckles and I need longer bolts for them. The nylon in my previous lock nuts has come out and want to get a new set of bolts with the lock nuts. What kind is best? Stainless, galvanized, zinc? I would figure zinc is terrible, but trying to find stainless in 2 1/4” size is proving pretty difficult. Looming for input so they dont rust out

Definitely SS in my opinion. If you can't find local may have to order. Only thing the shipping may cost more than the bolts.
    My Lowes has a decent selection but we also have a specialty shop that has about anything you want and a lot cheaper than anyplace I've seen on SS.

3. Member
    The bolts nuts that come with the ones I bought had interference threads that served as a lock nut.

You definitely want SS. ACE Hardware carries a good selection to, if you have one close. Our Lowes is a little lacking on SS.

5. Member
    You can also go to Fastenal if you can’t find them at a hardware store.

6. Member
    Most of the Farm Stores around here have a good selection of hardware, SS, grade 8, etc at good prices.

7. Member
    You might think about putting a tack weld (bead) on the threads to prevent easy removal. My buddy had a pair removed from his new Ranger while leaving his trailer at a remote ramp.

8. Banned
    Stainless steel. Got mine from our Lowes store here.

9. Member
    Galvanized will most likely out last the ratchet straps. Stainless is over kill in my opinion. Otherwise that’s what they would have came with. Your lugs on your hubs aren’t stainless nor are the u bolts on the axle springs. You can weld the threads if your afraid of them getting stolen but a breaker bar will break the bolt very easily and save the thief time in the long run

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsturggie View Post
    Galvanized will most likely out last the ratchet straps. Stainless is over kill in my opinion. Otherwise that’s what they would have came with. Your lugs on your hubs aren’t stainless nor are the u bolts on the axle springs. You can weld the threads if your afraid of them getting stolen but a breaker bar will break the bolt very easily and save the thief time in the long run
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by mrsturggie View Post
    Really.
    All my boat buckles have come with SS.

12. Member
    Stainless steel, lowes, tractor supply, and Agri Supply.

Stainless and only stainless

14. Member
    I have used stainless and grade 8. Tensile strength on grade 8 far better.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

15. Member

16. Member
    Make sure put some oil on the threads before installing the nut if the nut and bolt are stainless steel. It will seize up and you will have to cut the bolt off.