Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2017 triton 179 trx

hey all, im looking at picking a used 2017 triton 179 trx up, but after reading some posts here, im a little concerned.

the price seems so so, will be around 24k after taxes and such, has low hours though, around 100, but again, little concerned with quality and or leaking after reading some posts.. oh ya, worried about the gas smell issues too

thoughts?

thanks

Dave

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrau View Post
    hey all, im looking at picking a used 2017 triton 179 trx up, but after reading some posts here, im a little concerned.

the price seems so so, will be around 24k after taxes and such, has low hours though, around 100, but again, little concerned with quality and or leaking after reading some posts.. oh ya, worried about the gas smell issues too

thoughts?

thanks

Dave
    I’m perfectly happy with my boat, at although it’s a different model than you’re looking at. As for the gas smell, I can’t imagine 2017 still had the problem, I think that was on the older boats but I certainly can’t guarantee it. If you are concerned about what you’ve read and about other issues, you might want to find a boat you’re more comfortable with.

3. Member
    Sounds like you made your mind up already...
    2015 189 trx

4. Member
    I had one, same year and model. No issues at all.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

5. Member
    I have a 2016 179 TRX and I love the boat, no issues at all. I have a 2017 20 TRX and hate the boat. Had multiple issues which are now resolved but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Would I buy another 179 TRX, definitely. I think its the best boat in that class. Would I buy any other Triton boat, hell no.

6. Member
    thanks for the replies. i really like the layout of the boat, thats why im considering purchasing it, just dont want any headaches..

is 24 a decent price for a 2017?? be about 22500 before taxes

and i looked at nitros and rangers, i hear nitro quality/fit/finish isnt great, and the ranger has too small of a livewell for me.

otherwise i'd probably go ranger....
    Last edited by dbrau; 02-21-2020 at 04:33 PM.

7. Member
    I have an 2018 Love it, I downsized from a TR196 I have never looked back. Great Boat without spending a lot of money, I get descent performance and that 4 stroke Mercury is bullet proof. The layout is perfect I am 225 lbs and I have plenty of leg room seats are comfortable. Put an Ultrex on it and you are in business with the money saved spend it on electronics and enjoy a damn good boat at a fraction of those glitter rockets.
    Last edited by eds triton; 02-21-2020 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

8. Member
    I think you should go with the Ranger. No worries about leaking or gas smell. I bet if you ask on the Ranger thread they’ll tell you the same thing.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I think you should go with the Ranger. No worries about leaking or gas smell. I bet if you ask on the Ranger thread they’ll tell you the same thing.
    ha, i would if the livewell was bigger like i said..

but ill probably go with the triton. didnt mean to get some of you alls panties in a bunch either, sheez..

10. Member
    Good luck with your boat search...
    Last edited by itsahog; 02-22-2020 at 06:40 AM.

11. Member
    Look at it from this perspective too. Being a couple years old if there were any issues they were most likely resolved already.

As for price, I'm not sure because you don't see a lot of used ones around. A place in Dothan recently had a 2017 for 18500. I thought that was a really good deal.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by llsdjv View Post
    Look at it from this perspective too. Being a couple years old if there were any issues they were most likely resolved already.

As for price, I'm not sure because you don't see a lot of used ones around. A place in Dothan recently had a 2017 for 18500. I thought that was a really good deal.
    crap that is a good deal, all the ones i see listed are around 22-24. a private seller had a 2016 for sale for 16500! i was gonna drive down and get it, but he sold it out from under me.. that was the one i wanted... guess ill keep looking to see if i can get a better price.

thanks again

13. Member
    Another way to look at it is you miss one good spring day of spring fishing, when they’re really biting, might be worth $1000 by itself. I drove myself crazy when I bought the boat I had before this one, always hearing about a better deal, but it’s all relevant to condition and equipment and so forth. Don’t cheat yourself out of Fishing over a couple thousand dollars I guess is what I’m saying. I would say if you find a boat you really like, work with Seller for a fair price so you can go out and fish. I can’t wait for spring fishing, I’ve been getting my butt kicked all winter. also sorry for my distasteful post earlier, my mistake on assuming the wrong impression.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    Another way to look at it is you miss one good spring day of spring fishing, when they’re really biting, might be worth $1000 by itself. I drove myself crazy when I bought the boat I had before this one, always hearing about a better deal, but it’s all relevant to condition and equipment and so forth. Don’t cheat yourself out of Fishing over a couple thousand dollars I guess is what I’m saying. I would say if you find a boat you really like, work with Seller for a fair price so you can go out and fish. I can’t wait for spring fishing, I’ve been getting my butt kicked all winter. also sorry for my distasteful post earlier, my mistake on assuming the wrong impression.
    ha no worries. ive just never spent that much on a boat, and really like my alumacraft i have now. it just gets blown around in the wind something fierce and that drives me crazy as well. just want no issues if i do make the splurge and do this.. heading down to Florida this coming Friday to chase bucketmouths for 2 weeks actually and i cant wait..

appreciate all the response, i really do...

15. You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix
    I bought a 179 TRX IN 2018... I had fished out of many tin rigs and had a couple glass boats too over the years. I have read the issues others have had with Tritons... honestly never had I considered a Triton until I ran across this model and I had been looking at new boats for about 2 years and could not make up my freaking mind. I have never been one of those guys that had to go 60-70 mph in my boats. So I was looking at the best set up I could get with a 115 Hp rating. I was looking at all the tin rigs... I had a Ranger was looking at a newer one also at Tracker, Crestliner, and Vexus... then I started comparing livewell sizes fuel capacities storage and all that... to me just my opinion this model Triton is the best boat out there in the 115 Hp class. I fish tournaments and this boat in some ways fishes bigger than its size but in some good ways fishes small too... I can get into some tight spots with this boat. Its actually 18'6" long... built out of the Triton TR 186 mold. I have had it up to 53 by myself in really cold water... i usually run between 35-40 though. Livewell system is awesome and huge compared to most tin boats. The Mercury 115 Four Stroke with Command Thrust is an awesome motor. I am convinced after 2 years of looking at rigs I pulled the trigger on the best boat for me. I have not seen any of the quality issues yet and hopefully I dont and I fish alot. I have no complaints with my Triton.
    Last edited by rixfishin; 02-25-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rixfishin View Post
    I bought a 179 TRX IN 2018... I had fished out of many tin rigs and had a couple glass boats too over the years. I have read the issues others have had with Tritons... honestly never had I considered a Triton until I ran across this model and I had been looking at new boats for about 2 years and could not make up my freaking mind. I have never been one of those guys that had to go 60-70 mph in my boats. So I was looking at the best set up I could get with a 115 Hp rating. I was looking at all the tin rigs... I had a Ranger was looking at a newer one also at Tracker, Crestliner, and Vexus... then I started comparing livewell sizes fuel capacities storage and all that... to me just my opinion this model Triton is the best boat out there in the 115 Hp class. I fish tournaments and this boat in some ways fishes bigger than its size but in some good ways fishes small too... I can get into some tight spots with this boat. Its actually 18'6" long... built out of the Triton TR 186 mold. I have had it up to 53 by myself in really cold water... i usually run between 35-40 though. Livewell system is awesome and huge compared to most tin boats. The Mercury 115 Four Stroke with Command Thrust is an awesome motor. I am convinced after 2 years of looking at rigs I pulled the trigger on the best boat for me. I have not seen any of the quality issues yet and hopefully I dont and I fish alot. I have no complaints with my Triton.

thanks for the reply! ive had mostly tin boats, but have been looking at glass for some time now. the problem im having is i bass fish and go up north to canada as well, and worry about this type of boat on some of the bigger waters up there. how has yours handled bigger waters/waves? does it blow around much in the wind??

i almost pulled the trigger on a 2012 triton 17 explorer, but i really wanted something with a 4 stroke because ive been running those for 13+ years now and really like em..

im going to florida for the next 2 weeks, and will probably decide what i want to do when i return in the middle of March..

thanks again..

17. Member
    Mines a 2016 179trx. I traded a tin 17' vt Crestliner for it. I've had zero problems with the boat, it handles waves pretty good. The main reason I got rid of the Crestliner was its inability to take on rough water without pounding my spine into submission. The Triton is night n day better in the rough stuff.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chatabass View Post
    Mines a 2016 179trx. I traded a tin 17' vt Crestliner for it. I've had zero problems with the boat, it handles waves pretty good. The main reason I got rid of the Crestliner was its inability to take on rough water without pounding my spine into submission. The Triton is night n day better in the rough stuff.
    ah thats good to know, i have a deep v aluminum now and it will go through the rough stuff, but you do take a beating..

19. You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix
    The ride between a tin and the 179 TRX is like night and day. Most glass boats should have a better ride than tin rigs. At least in my experiences, I fished as a co angler in BFLs for 7 years and rode in just about every boat make their is. Tin boats have some advantages over glass. But ride isnt one of them. Good look in your search and with whatever boat you decide on.
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

20. Member
    You need to shop around for a leftover 2019, a new 2020 179TRX with the new 4/stroke is around $28,000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast