Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Get the G2 if you don't mind buying 2 stroke oil. The added warranty is a huge plus that you'll pay a lot for on a Mercury.
    Evaluate the warranty extension. See if you can find out what it would cost to get 7yrs from Merc. Then you'd have apples to apples. Extending the warranty is not cheap. That rebate seems like it would bring the cost of the OMC lower. The operating costs, oil v. no oil, and the required maintenance for each.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Well the Evinrude is definitely louder, and it has more warranty for a reason- lack of consumer confidence/demand.
    Don't listen to this guy ^^^^^^ As its obvious he doesn't know what he's talking about.

The G2 is an amazing engine. It will do what you want and more. The Merc 150 is a great engine as well but in the end my vote goes the G2.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    when you get ready to sell the merc will have more folks wanting to buy it.

Nothing against Evinrude but I only want a 4 stroke.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    Don't listen to this guy ^^^^^^ As its obvious he doesn't know what he's talking about.

The G2 is an amazing engine. It will do what you want and more. The Merc 150 is a great engine as well but in the end my vote goes the G2.
    I have not idea if his comment about the being louder is valid, but his comment about the warranty is valid. Long warranties are placed on a product because they need to boost confidence so they can sell them.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    I wouldn't hesitate to go with a G2 again. Zero issues with mine.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post

Correct don't listen to me, or either one of the engines running....just listen to this guy^^^^^

8. Member
    Both are very good engines, i have a 150HO G2 and love it! The people that bash G2's are the ones who never owned one. The ones that do love them.

The motor is not loud, it's very quiet, it doesn't smoke and doesn't use a lot of oil and is very good on gas.
    No break in period and auto winterization are a plus also. Plus the smile when you get when hit the throttle

9. Member
    what controls do you currently have? Depending on you selection you might have to change controls.
    2020 BassChamps Central Lake Belton 1st - Feb 2
    2019 Media Bass Individual Champion - Richland Chambers Sep 7-8
    2019 CAST Champions - Sam Rayburn Oct 19-20
    2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2

2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Texas Realtor
    Helping Texans buy and Sell their Homes

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    I’d get a 4 stroke in a second
    Same here. No more buying 2 stroke oil.

11. Banned
    Can't speak for the G2 but my G1 175 has been flawless for the 3 years I've owned it. BRP had a 10 year warranty when I purchased it so still have 7 more years of coverage.

12. Member
    Thanks for your input especially since you own what this dealer is recommending to me. He says they are fabulous motors and basically wont see me for three years or 500 hours for routine maintenance?

So you think I`m good with his recommendation and would you based on experience still go back with another 150HO?

Thanks a bunch for your response, its a big deal to me because I really plan on using it as I am now retired and dont want to spend my time at a dealer waiting on repairs

Steve

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’ve never heard of a G2 owner complain about their motor! Yes at idle the Mercury will be quieter, but the G2 is far from loud. If you don’t want to worry about oil, get the Mercury. Both engines are great, I love my G1 and was raised on the Mercury brand.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

14. Member
    Screw havin to feed em oil all the time get the 4 stroke. To get a 2 stroke to burn that clean you have to run em lean lean lean! Just sayin.

15. Member
    Best warranty & best dealer support.

16. Member
    New Mercury 4 Stroke gets my vote over the Evinrude. I just have a lot of confidence in the Mercury. Good luck I am sure either will serve you fine!

17. Member
    For what it's worth, my 2015 G1 has been flawless. I had it in 2 years ago for the 3 year/300 hour service (only had 100hrs) and havent had it in for anything else in the 5 years of ownership (flawless). I bought 3 gallons of synthetic xd100 2 years ago and still have a gallon left. The oil is a non issue because it hardly uses any and I don't have to take it in for changes. I winterize it myself in 1 minute at the ramp. My next boat will have a G2
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

18. Member
    We have motor forums on this website. You might want to read a couple of pages of the various manufacturers and see what, if any, kinds of problems they are experiencing.

19. Member
    Evinrude G2.

After owning both i think the oil is cheaper on the g2 than a 4 stroke. Service will definitely be cheaper. The g2 idles as quiet as any 4 stroke and does it all day without loading up. Never known of anybody thats actually been around a g2 to talk bad about them, only people with no experience or the jealous type. I like a mercury 2 stroke but i cant get along with the 4 strokes. Way too many moving parts

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast