Stupid newbie question

I want to play with a small amount $32000 ish on an online brokerage. I have read a lot of info on how to precede, and am to the point of choosing my brokerage site.

My question is what is a "Broker Assisted Trade", other than the obvious, and how often do you make one, and for what type of securities?

Thanks
    Dave

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I believe that is when you call them and they make the trade for you. Someone might use a broker assisted trade to fill a complex trade, like an option strategy that involves multiple legs like a butterfly or iron condor.

If we're talking about trading then I might suggest starting with a smaller amount, maybe 5K or even less. Blow up your account a couple times before depositing all the money you can.

If we're talking investing, then theres no reason for a broker assisted trade. Buy and sell with the click of a button.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Thank you. Yea l added an extra zero to my play money. This is just a learning exercise to start. I'm not funding retirement nor wanting to be a day trader.
    Dave

4. Member
    Trade on paper first. Be psychologically prepared for the stress of personally managing your portfolio. For every buy, have a respective sell strategy. Go slow. Don’t chase the market. Learn about stop-losses to mitigate your risk. Do your own research and become well-informed - be able to explain why you bought what you did. Do not listen to the talking heads. If you’re considering day-trading, I recall there being minimum capital and net worth thresholds to avoid certain restrictions - check with your brokerage.

Good luck...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverest View Post
    Trade on paper first. Be psychologically prepared for the stress of personally managing your portfolio. For every buy, have a respective sell strategy. Go slow. Don’t chase the market. Learn about stop-losses to mitigate your risk. Do your own research and become well-informed - be able to explain why you bought what you did. Do not listen to the talking heads. If you’re considering day-trading, I recall there being minimum capital and net worth thresholds to avoid certain restrictions - check with your brokerage.

Good luck...
    Very good advice

6. Member
    I have a few simple rules I use. First the stock has.to pay a dividend and I like 4% or better. It has to have a POSITIVE EPS. The PE ratio should be as low as possible.

there are a few smaller ones but important nonetheless. Insider trading, financial impropriety, the moving average should be up. Look at the stock over the last year.

Then learn to sell covered calls. The simplest.

I have been buying and selling options on Electric stocks ie Duk, D and SO. I also have been buying CSQ with a dividend of about 8%. Thats it for me.

I bought 100 shares of DUK this week at $90 and expect it to be $100 in a few months.

i use TD America. No commission trades. Save your money. .

7. Member
    Most platforms now offer free online trades. No need to use a brokered trade.