GT50 vs GT51 - worth the $150?

I've read a lot on this forum - stuck between the GT50 and GT51 - leaning GT50 based on feedback.

I already have a GT34 for UHD Down and Side (limited range I get all that) - used it last year and was extremely happy with it.

Upgrading counsel graph to 126sv now - but I sort of thought in my reading and help from guys here that I wasn't going to gain much from the GT54 if left the GT34 on.

I NEVER fish deeper than 100' - I never really SI / Look for structure deeper than about 50'. In that sense, I won't gain anything from an SideVu/CleareVu point of view. Just curious if the 51 is 'that' much better for (1) Traditional 2D seeing fish and (2) High Speed bottom contact to make it worth the money over the 50? From what I know have read, either would be a big upgrade from the GT52 I have now for those scenarios so I won't be 'regressing' just curious if any of you have direct insight on what you'd recommend.

Thanks all - can't wait to get it all ordered up this week!

GT50 has more power than the GT52. Its difference in seeing bass sitting in grass or not. I run a GT50 at both ends.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    You are talking about splitting hairs. Both are excellent transducers. Here's my 2 cents worth.

GT50. has the advantage in shallow water of being able to select 800 kHz for better structure detail.. The range on SideVu and ClearVu 455 kHz is outstanding.
    GT51. 2d is the GT15 element, the best 2d transducer Garmin makes. Both powerful and sensitive. 455 kHz is comparable to the GT50.
    Disadvantage is not having the 800 kHz in shallow water for structure detail.
    Advantage is having 260 kHz for deep water and long ranges to see fish. Fish returns are bigger at the expense of structure detail.

At the depths you mentioned the GT50 would probably serve you best. If you spent most of your time at 100 FOW or more, definitely the GT51.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    You are talking about splitting hairs. Both are excellent transducers. Here's my 2 cents worth.

GT50. has the advantage in shallow water of being able to select 800 kHz for better structure detail.. The range on SideVu and ClearVu 455 kHz is outstanding.
    GT51. 2d is the GT15 element, the best 2d transducer Garmin makes. Both powerful and sensitive. 455 kHz is comparable to the GT50.
    Disadvantage is not having the 800 kHz in shallow water for structure detail.
    Advantage is having 260 kHz for deep water and long ranges to see fish. Fish returns are bigger at the expense of structure detail.

At the depths you mentioned the GT50 would probably serve you best. If you spent most of your time at 100 FOW or more, definitely the GT51.

Tangrine Orange Key 16604126S1

5. Member
    And where are you finding these for $150?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    And where are you finding these for $150?
    I think he was asking if the GT51 is worth $150 more than the GT50.

7. Member
    pdxfisher is correct - there is a $150 difference between the two, wasn’t sure if I’d gain much of anything from the 51 for the extra cost.

Thanks for the insight guys, GT50 looks like the right choice!