Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I thought the title meant something else. Thought he was wondering why people were boycotting logic.

There are places/companies that I chose not to spend my money. If other people do, that is great for them. Don't want to see anyone lose their jobs.

I’ll buy stuff I need or want from whoever has the best prices. If price is equal, I have businesses that I choose to support over others but in the end it’s all about me. What little money i spend does not affect a company CEO in any way.

I don't understand why companies come out and announce their political affiliation. You run a high risk of cutting your business in half? The country is divided as it is. Why try and piss off half your customer base? There certain places I will not eat and certain ones I do not want to shop. I understand they have employees but some of these companies play a major role in lobbying money also.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman6805 View Post
    I don't understand why companies come out and announce their political affiliation. You run a high risk of cutting your business in half? The country is divided as it is. Why try and piss off half your customer base? There certain places I will not eat and certain ones I do not want to shop. I understand they have employees but some of these companies play a major role in lobbying money also.
    I don't understand wearing politics on your sleeve as a business, either side.

If I don’t like a business, owner, policies, I don’t shop there.

Amazingly when others shop there, they just assume EVERYONE shops there.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    I’ll buy stuff I need or want from whoever has the best prices. If price is equal, I have businesses that I choose to support over others but in the end it’s all about me. What little money i spend does not affect a company CEO in any way.

I think pretty much the same way.

It does seem cruel to get mad, and target one person, their CEO, and boycotting to put Gander out of business, with total disregard to Gander's 5,600 employees across 69 stores, becoming collateral damage, because of something idiotic their boss said.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    Over Christmas, I got into a conversation with a neighbors brother who does not live in our town. He said that he was very happy to see that our local Gander Outdoors had shutdown our local store.

I shopped at that store frequently and knew several of their workers. One was a veteran by the way who loved fishing. I talked with him many times.

I asked my neighbors brother why he was glad that store closed and got the expected answer. He was getting back at the CEO for his comments.

I told him that CEO's naturally want to be a part of successful business, but most are multi millionaires who are financially set for life regardless of the ongoing success of their business.
    I went on to ask him if he thought about the many store workers who in this case, lost their jobs. They are average people, Republicans, Democrats, veterans, etc who are not financially set for life.
    His comeback was surprising to me. He said he didn't think about the average Joe at all. All he cared about was hurting the CEO.

So for those that boycott business because of political statements from executives or other reasons, is your boycotting stance strictly aimed at retaliation against the CEO or do you believe that any worker in that business shares
    the CEO's belief and equally deserves to be financially hurt?
    OK help me understand this, businessman gets butt hurt over politics told people he doesn't want their business .
    And not to shop there and the people who don't shop there are the bad guys

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    I thought the title meant something else. Thought he was wondering why people were boycotting logic.

There are places/companies that I chose not to spend my money. If other people do, that is great for them. Don't want to see anyone lose their jobs.

This place has been boycotting logic for a long time.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    This place has been boycotting logic for a long time.
    Aint that the truth. Yesterday I ran into an ex Gander employee that I talked to frequently. He obtained another job but he said he is making less money and the new job is boring (he loved talking about outdoors). This guy hunts and fishes and is like most of us. Unfortunately he got the bum deal by the store closing and the CEO continues to make his millions.

I simply wanted to know if the people boycotting a business was only targeting their anger at the senior executive who made the inflammatory claim or if they also were targeting all that companies employees. In this case, a true sportsman (and good guy) lost his job but the CEO carries on.

I have no idea if any boycott was the root cause for the local store closing. But my neighbors brother was sure that the boycott was the reason for store closing. But in the end, it looks like the wrong people got hurt by the closing of the store.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

11. Member
    Mach ---i agree 100 % with your post
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

How dare someone not spend money at a company they don't believe shares their values.....
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

13. Banned
    It's kind of funny that several looking down on the boycotting thing are also the ones that are adamant about not shopping at Walmart. If you look at it the right way, it's basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    Aint that the truth. Yesterday I ran into an ex Gander employee that I talked to frequently. He obtained another job but he said he is making less money and the new job is boring (he loved talking about outdoors). This guy hunts and fishes and is like most of us. Unfortunately he got the bum deal by the store closing and the CEO continues to make his millions.

I simply wanted to know if the people boycotting a business was only targeting their anger at the senior executive who made the inflammatory claim or if they also were targeting all that companies employees. In this case, a true sportsman (and good guy) lost his job but the CEO carries on.

I have no idea if any boycott was the root cause for the local store closing. But my neighbors brother was sure that the boycott was the reason for store closing. But in the end, it looks like the wrong people got hurt by the closing of the store.
    I get what you’re saying but it sounds like you are mad at consumers for not spending more money in Gander Mountain to keep them from shutting down. Is it the companies fault or the consumers fault that they shut down?

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    How dare someone not spend money at a company they don't believe shares their values.....
    My thoughts exactly but I guess there is no logic in this.

16. Member

I guess this was the heart of my original post. Some people that are hurt the most by a boycott share exactly the same values as you. They are unintended casualties of the boycott while the CEO's that made the statement have their millions to fall back on.

17. Banned
    Does by accident count?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    I get what you’re saying but it sounds like you are mad at consumers for not spending more money in Gander Mountain to keep them from shutting down. Is it the companies fault or the consumers fault that they shut down?

No I am not mad at all. I ran into one of their sales guys yesterday at the grocery store. I just felt bad for him. I don't really care who is at fault. He is a good guy who shares a love for the outdoors. Ultimately he lost his job and doesn't like his new job and I lost a closeby outdoor source. I see no winners other than an out of state Tackle Warehouse who will get an extra order or two from me.

Price usually has little to do with where I shop. I never search out cheapest place to buy the same product. I buy from who I like and want to support. If I can’t buy it local I’ll go next best route. Never the cheapest route....As others have said there are a few things I refuse to be associated with.

20. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Do you all have a database somewhere you check before going shopping? Or just go with if you don't know their values assume they are exactly the same as you?
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast