Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do You Have to Catch Em?

I try and fish at least 1 weekday afternoon each week for 3-4 hours. I find myself a bunch of times on those trips not putting catching as my #1 priority. I like to look for fish in different places, try different things and use baits that I either want to learn or experiment. Many times that leads to a very low catch day like yesterday - 1. I am good with it. Just enjoy being out there and it has led me to discover a few new spots and baits, but this is not something I could always do. I use to try and hammer them everytime.

Just curious if others will go fishing and experiment without concern of how many they catch or is every day a tournament day mindset?

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    unless in a tournament, catching is rarely the top priority.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    Being on the water and enjoying the outdoors is my first priority, catching a bunch is just gravy on top.

4. Member
    No...but I would at least like to have a chance even if I miss it
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

Not for me....I feel like I have to look for and find new areas, patterns, etc...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    It seems every time I go out, at least the past 3 years it has been to better my chances to win our club tournaments, I too have been putting a couple hours each trip towards finding fish and structure out deeper, it hasn't paid off like I had hoped as of yet but I do feel I'm becoming a more well rounded angler, the ones I have won have been fishing my strengths, gotta try though.
    Cheese County Bass Club

7. Member
    If I'm by myself I'm always trying something new, whether it be looking for a pattern that isnt the norm for that time of year or a new or different bait, or just new areas or spots to fish. I have so much stuff marked on rayburn that wherever I go I'm not far from a spot that I can check just to see what the fish are doing. That way I can see if what I was trying is way off base or if the normal stuff is where it's at. But finding the stuff that's different is what's fun to me and I feel like it helps when it comes to decisions when the pressure is on.

I like to fish by my self for that reason, when I have someone with me I feel like I need them to catch fish. I like to wander around looking playing with different areas, depths.

9. BBC Lifetime Member Fish TR19's Avatar
    Always just fish for fun......If I catch anything that's a plus. As long as there are no problems with the equipment it's a good day.
    Last time I fished a T was in the mid 90's (year not temp)

10. Member
    I am the same way. I like to try different things and I spend a lot of time trying to figure out different techniques or areas, even if I know I could do something different and catch a few more.

One reservoir I fish has a trail around it we call the "Milf Highway". I tend to spend a lot of time banging the banks there. Don't catch a lot lot there, just take in the scenery.

I like catching, even if I’m experimenting. I go to one lake if I can get a 10 minute topwater bite at dawn I’m good to go home. It’s a 2 hour round trip.

Lot of times I do experiment, or try lakes I’ve not been to before during the year just for the hell of it. Figuring out a way to catch fish is most of the fun for me.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I like to fish by my self for that reason, when I have someone with me I feel like I need them to catch fish. I like to wander around looking playing with different areas, depths.
    I agree. When I take someone with me, I feel pressured to put them on some fish. I'd rather fish alone, try new areas, different lures, patterns. If i come up empty, so be it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    If I'm by myself I'm always trying something new, whether it be looking for a pattern that isnt the norm for that time of year or a new or different bait, or just new areas or spots to fish. I have so much stuff marked on rayburn that wherever I go I'm not far from a spot that I can check just to see what the fish are doing. That way I can see if what I was trying is way off base or if the normal stuff is where it's at. But finding the stuff that's different is what's fun to me and I feel like it helps when it comes to decisions when the pressure is on.
    Since you have so much stuff marked at Rayburn, I emptied my PM box so you can send a few.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Feel exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    One reservoir I fish has a trail around it we call the "Milf Highway". I tend to spend a lot of time banging the banks there. Don't catch a lot lot there, just take in the scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by smitto View Post
    I agree. When I take someone with me, I feel pressured to put them on some fish. I'd rather fish alone, try new areas, different lures, patterns. If i come up empty, so be it.
    One of the main reasons why I like to fish alone the majority of the time.

During the winter I'm out there for one reason - catching fish. Most of the time when I'm fishing in the spring, summer, and sometimes during the fall - if it's not a tournament then I'm kind of practicing for an upcoming tournament. So I don't mind trying new things, checking new areas, etc. If I don't catch them then it's ok. But when you've got someone on the back that doesn't get to fish much there's almost an obligation to go do the things that you know will get you bites. While fun, it doesn't always help you become a better fisherman.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

16. Member
    Yes.

17. Member
    I have 12 lakes/Rivers near me that we fish tournaments.
    I have gotten to where I do not pre-fish my areas for a tournament. I have started looking at new spots, but still use my confidence baits. Try to add to my options. Some areas are different and have to use different presentations on the same body of water.
    2 of the lakes I am real weak. No confidence.
    I always avoid them except on tournament day. That's what I have to change. I need to start fishing those more until I figure them out. The lakes are very on/off type of fisheries. When they are biting you can tear them up. When they are not, its going to be tough not to zero. All other lakes, even when the bites are tough, I can figure out a game plan and catch my limit.

One of my buddies who fish those two tough lakes ALWAYS does well. probably wins 80 percent. I remember one tournament it was an off day. 22 anglers zeroed. 2nd place was 4lbs. My buddy won with 17lbs.
    It showed me he has figured the place out. He has his spots and a presentation that works. Of course has been fishing it for 25 plus years and myself about 7 years.
    But it showed me it can be fished at its worse and do well. Thats my goal, to improve on these two lakes.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

18. Banned
    If everything runs like it should and none of the dogs fall in then it was a 'good day'..

All days are 'good' some are just 'better' than others.. (for those scoring at home)

Just being on the lake is good enough for me.

20. Member
    Being on the water, exploring the lake is my favorite takeaway. Fishing is just the excuse to do it.

Even when I take my kids fishing, their favorite part is boating around. Fishing is our excuse to go out there and burn up some gas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast