Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    A lot of my best deals I'm sworn to secrecy on! But one of my favorites was when I was in high school. I traded an Xbox 360 and a PSP (both of which I bought on craigslist for $220 total) and I traded them locally to a guy for a 14 foot aluminum john boat, motor, trailer and set of anchors! I took it to my local fiberblass shop and had them put a flipping deck on it. Only fished out of that boat 3 times though before I had to sell it to buy a car!
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

2. Member
    I bought a 1300 Daiwa Whisker Tournament in brand new condition at a pawn shop for $15.00. I bought a Penn 6500SSV for $20 in like new condition, but had to change the case and a gear which added $25.00 plus my labor. I bought 2 St. Croix rods with Pfleuger President reels for $60.00. Somebody has to pay for my time and gas. I sell stuff at fishing flea markets.

3. Member
    Back in the late 90's, my brother had a Japanese foreign exchange student, and he was a pretty sharp kid and had a wealthy dad. He had a Chevy truck tricked out with everything you could possibly get. Stagecoach package, the whole bit. Well, he sold the idea to his dad by saying, "Hey, I'm in Texas, they all drive trucks here, so I need one." Well, what dad wasn't considering was the difference in price between here and Japan. In Japan, an average AMerican truck would set you back about 50K with all the import taxes on it. So, the kid figured out, "Wow. I can get this super tricked out truck, tell my dad how much it costs and he won't think anything about it because that was about what a regular American truck would cost in Japan. Time comes for the kid to go home and he thought one of his friends was going to buy it. Deal falls through and the guy is leaving the next day. I said, "Well, I got about 12k cash, but I don't know if you want to do it." I got a 2 year old mega-sick truck with 18K mile for 12K. That's my big "win".

4. Member
    Another time was when Oshman's was being sold to what became (and went out of business as well) Sport's Authority. When SA was coming in, they were getting rid of all their outdoor stuff. This was back when the Chronarchs were one of the most expensive reels around. They had them marked down like 50%. I also had a kid on my SB team whose mother was a VP for SA and she gave all the parent's coupons for half off. ell, come to find out, the store accepted them and the half off. I think I paid like 30 bucks a reel. Bought everyone the store had. Still have them till this day.

Best was my current BassCat Sabre FTD. Bought it for less than 50% of the new price. 4 years old, and immaculate, with 27 hours on the boat.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I bought a boat, fished out of it for a year and used up the last year of engine warranty. Sold it just over a year later for $7500 more than i paid for it. Id say that was a good deal
    I'd say you done good. Real good.

7. Member
    Years ago I found an All Star 7'6" flipping rod at a local pawn shop. This was back when All Stars were made here in the Houston area, and it was a telescopic flipping rod. The rod looked new so I took it up to the counter, with the rod collapsed, held it up to the guy behind the counter and shook the rod so that the two sections rattled around inside each other. I elected to not slide the top section out to lock it in place and stop the rattling... The counter guy looked at it and asked if I'd give him $5 since the rod was broken. I told him I guess I could do that, paid him $5 and went home smiling.

Tom Gates, 2005 Triton TR196DC LE, 200 Opti

8. Banned
    Purchased 5 112 Ultrexes at Cabelas at merger time for 1500 CDN each or about 1200 USD....

9. Member
    Mine was 2 ALX Zolo casting rods for $40 each and 2 ALX Zolo rods that had Abu Garcia Revo STX reels on them priced for $60 at a local pawnshop. That was the best $200 I ever spent. Obviously no one at that pawnshop ever bass fished.
    Brad Krone

10. Member
    Found a whole lowrance system for my boat on facebook. 2 hds 7 gen 2's, a hd module box, the SS/DS ducer and bracket, power cords, ethernet cables, gimbles, knobs, and an extra skimmer ducer for 600. Sold my hds5 gen 1 and ducer and power cord for 250 the day after.

11. Member
    Repowered my 2004 Stratos last year when outboards were hard to find with a new 200 Optimax ProXS for $11,995.00. I needed an engine and did not want to wait for a 4-stroke.

12. Member
    a buddy and I recently found dobyns seirra rods for 40 bucks at academy we bought all 4 they had.

13. Member
    Got a brand new BT-99 trap gun for $800 out the door from a Sportsman's Warehouse that was going out of business, retail price was $1299.99 at the time. Picked up a few vintage BMX bikes over the years from garage sales, Goodwill, and pawn shops for $20 or $30 and flipped them for 1000% profit or more. Depended on the parts on the bike, made more tearing them down and selling individual parts than the bike as a whole.

14. Member
    I bought a Vexilar FL8-SE off a guy outside my favorite tackle shop for 100 bucks when I was 16. I used it for 16 years and sold it for $200.

My Icon Pro Gauges for my last boat. The tach runs about $375 from private dealers and the speedo about $285. I found a guy on ebay with a tach and speedo for $250, I hit buy now and when they arrived it was 2 tachs and a speedo. I installed the tach and speedo and sold the other tach on ebay for $250 so I got them for free...
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

Quote Originally Posted by Marinadan View Post
    Gander Outdoors went out of business locally this Outdoors locally this Fall.
    I bought a set of Faria gauges (retail$289.99) for $13.99!! Tachometer, speedo, voltmeter and fuel.
    Forgot about this! Similar story around here... I got one of the MLF Keel Shields for $18. That's got to be the best I've ever done!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

17. Member
    I don't recall anything special.

18. Member
    Back in 2000 I got a 1996 Skeeter 150ZX/150 Mariner EFI for $6000. It was a repo, no graphs or trolling motor and needed a wet sand. Threw on a Maxxum and a couple of Lowrance graphs and it was good to go. Was my first "real" bassboat. Sold my 86 Skeeter F80 for $3500 and bought it. Fished out of it for 4 years and sold it for $7000.

19. Member
    My boat. Bought it 10 years ago when it was already 15 years old, but it's been a great boat, never leaked, runs great. 1994 17 foot aluminum Monark Pro Bass with 60 HP Mariner, with trailer for $3,000. I've got more than that in electronics on it now!

20. Member
    Nice score. Where was this?
    Quote Originally Posted by hauss View Post
    New G3 Helix 8 MDI for $450.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast